Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wood pellet - outdoor storage tank/bin?

• 01-03-2012 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Need some help making a decision:

indoor or outdoor storage tank/bin?

Has anyone installed an outdoor bin and not had any issues?

I've been told galvanised steel bins are much better than plastic or any other type of insulating material.
    I have also been told if you keep a bit of air flow in and out to avoid stagnation, keep temp inside and out similar and seal all contact points during assembly you won't have a problem?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I have an outdoor, metal one, lots of bits and joints, not very good in my opinion, damp gets in and makes a ball out of the pellets and jams up the augur and its a very messy job to clear it!!

In my opinon the only way to store pellets in Ireland is indoors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭brendan_donegal

Yes, this seems to be the response I am getting, although I have a guy selling indoor and outdoor, no difference in price and he says the outside one is just as good, although I asked for a guaratee against moisture and he hasn't replied yet....!!

There must be someone out there who uses an external bin successfully?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭brendan_donegal

Not much action on this topic, I have to assume not many people have external bins?

Brendan, you need to do your research on these pellets, I unfortunately believed what I was told by the supplier and am living to regret it now. The only way to store pellets is indoor and in my opinion the best way to store them indoors is at high level using a storage bag (can't think of the corrrect name for these at the mo) at high level with a steel frame supporting it. I have found that the bits that are the most unreliable ar the auger motors so if they break or get jammed if the pellets are stored above the boiler you can use gravity!! that at least will always work!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

I'm not interested in grants, was thinking I could just buy bagged pellets and store them in the house......( not too many as I believe there is a problem with combustion of pellets due to build up of heat?)....

but just to store a few bags to do the weekly burn.......

any comments on this idea....

• Advertisement

Park Royal wrote: »
    I'm not interested in grants, was thinking I could just buy bagged pellets and store them in the house......( not too many as I believe there is a problem with combustion of pellets due to build up of heat?)....

but just to store a few bags to do the weekly burn.......

any comments on this idea....

There is no grants for wood pellets at the moment, they were scrapped, there is grant for high efficiency oil or gas boilers though, figure that out if you can. The price of bagged pellets is about twice that of bulk pellets so its generally cost prohibitive to used bagged pellets unless you need very little!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Sorry for butting in, but I need advice on what kind of shed to use for bagged pellet storage. Indoor storage isn't an option, and I need to buy by the pallet, buying 10s and 20s is too expensive.

I have a 6x6 Keter plastic shed already, and I want to replace it with something that'll fit the contents of that and a pallet of bagged pellets.

Would I be better off with wood, steel or plastic again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Bagged pellets can be stored in any kind of shed, but they are slightly dearer to buy than bulk loose pellets. The storage issues only apply to bulk pellets with auto feed augers that easily get jammed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Isn't there still a risk of dampness via condensation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

dahamsta wrote: »
    Isn't there still a risk of dampness via condensation?

Pellets stored outdoors in a JFC silo or one from woodpelletstorage.ie will not have an issue with condensation if installed properly, I have experience with both silos. I store bags on a pallet on an open basement floor just inside the door (No actual door) and have never had damp pellets. To keep bagged pellets all you have to do is keep them dry no special sheds etc required.

• Advertisement
Advertisement