Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving work to do Masters full time

Options
  • 01-03-2012 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭

Hi all

so i'm thinking of leaving my full time job and going back to do a masters full time. probably crazy but it's what i really want to do.

anyway, i could probably just about afford fees but wouldn't be able to cover living expenses for the year. What kind of support am i eligible for here? I have been working full time for the last 5 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

froog wrote: »
    Hi all

so i'm thinking of leaving my full time job and going back to do a masters full time. probably crazy but it's what i really want to do.

anyway, i could probably just about afford fees but wouldn't be able to cover living expenses for the year. What kind of support am i eligible for here? I have been working full time for the last 5 years.

Not much that I am aware of

Maintenance grants have been abolished for postgrads. There will be fee grants though.
    B: Fees and Maintenance Grants for new entrants to postgraduate studies

Students entering new postgraduate courses from the 2012-13 academic year onwards will not be entitled to any maintenance payment under the Student Grant scheme
    However, students on the lowest level of income entering new postgraduate courses from the 2012-13 academic year who qualify for the special rate of grant will be eligible to qualify to have tuition fees paid up to the maximum fee limit under the Student Grant scheme
    A limited number of other low-income students who would previously have qualified under the standard grant thresholds will qualify to have a €2,000 contribution made towards the costs of their fees. However, there will be a new income threshold for this payment which will be lower than the standard grant threshold. The income threshold for this level of grant is currently being determined in the context of the formulation of the student grant scheme for the 2012-13 year.

You might be able to claim a tax rebate on fees (If you can't claim yourself - someone else can claim it on your behalf)

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it31.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement