Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House rented to Single Mum

Options
  • 01-03-2012 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi, I rented out my property to a single Mum of 2. This was my first time. The rent was fully paid by Social Welfare for her. She has subsequently got her own house and moved out. She has taken beds, sofa, table and chairs and all of the kitchen appliances. When she came looking for her depoist back I asked her where all my stuff had gone to which she replied she didn't know. To top it all off I have received in the post today an ESB bill for €1800, the bill was in her name and now is in mine. I'm not sure where to go from here, how do I get some of my money back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

DCWalsh wrote: »
    She has taken beds, sofa, table and chairs and all of the kitchen appliances.
    The cheeky bitch. Involve the Gardai.
    DCWalsh wrote: »
    the bill was in her name and now is in mine.
    Why did you take the bill back to your name if it had unpaid charges on it? You should get legal advice ASAP on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

If the bill was in her name, how are you getting suckered for it?

You can open a case with PRTB, I would also report the theft to the Gardai. Did you do an inspection and inventory check with her prior to getting the keys back?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

report the theft to the Guards now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Did you do an inspection and inventory check with her prior to getting the keys back?

This is key to be honest. Without a full signed inventory and/or photos of the accomodation prior to her moving in you are going to have difficulty proving what she took.

This is a legal matter though and you should report the theft to the Gardai.

You are also not responsible for the outstanding ESB bill, assuming she had the account in her name while she was living there.

Advertisement