Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on protecting oil tank

Options
  • 01-03-2012 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Our home heating oil tank is located right next to our boundary wall at the back of the house. We have a 6ft high wall and then another 3ft of Steel Railings on top of the wall. Unfortunatly a crook can see right through the guard railings so it is quite easy to spot the tank.

Also the tank is literally right next to the wall so if you were to stick your hand through the railings you could open the tank and take the oil.

Can anyone recommend a good security solution? We have become particularly worried because in the last 2 months the dogs have been woken by people climbing over the fence. This has happened on 3 seperate occasions and it is beginning to worry us.

Behind our house is a large green area of an estate that is not lit at night time and is VERY Dark. Our garden has 2 security lights that have motion sensors but these dont stretch as far as the Oil tank.

Does anyone know if there are any good padlocks that have inbuilt alarms?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

OilGuard is a standalone alarm for oil tanks.
    For locks you may be better asking on the DIY Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JKMcG

While locks with alarms can be bought, the alarm is not as loud as you think. It might be better to get an oil monitor that you can see in your house like a watchman sonic or apollo smart and also a tank lock. There is a tank lock called spinsecure tanklock that uses a magnetic key and can't be levered from the tank lid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Locks are a waste of time, they just drill a hole in the tank, the only way to protect it is to put it in a secure shed, or build a strong cage around it.
    Even these measures are no guarantee of security, but at least it makes theft a bit more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

JKMcG wrote: »
    While locks with alarms can be bought, the alarm is not as loud as you think. It might be better to get an oil monitor that you can see in your house like a watchman sonic or apollo smart and also a tank lock. There is a tank lock called spinsecure tanklock that uses a magnetic key and can't be levered from the tank lid.

If connected to the alarm system in your home it is as loud as the alarm system ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

aujopimur wrote: »
    Locks are a waste of time, they just drill a hole in the tank, the only way to protect it is to put it in a secure shed, or build a strong cage around it.
    Even these measures are no guarantee of security, but at least it makes theft a bit more difficult.

an oil tank must be 1.8m from non fire rated building, 760mm from non fire rated boundry, 600mm from non fire rated screening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PaudyW

get some treated timber / steel or some fence panels and build box around tank with lockable hatch on top for filling,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

If you have the space, the best thing to do is have the tank hidden and a decoy tank with a small amount of oil in sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

If you have the space, the best thing to do is have the tank hidden and a decoy tank with a small amount of oil & lots of water in sight.

correction :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 holapaco

The solution: alarm system plus oil level sensor. alarm system with motion sensor (can be PIR, or Periemter Beam Sensor) to detect the movement of intruder or theif. The oil level sensor can monitor the oil level.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Where would the external PiR go?
    Oil guard would be the easier option. It can also be connected into an existing alarm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

The oil Guard is the better option but if considering a PIR then this would do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

Mount a sensor light near the wall they jump over, assuming your Oil tank is in the back corner of your yard, construct a new dog run with the oil tank inside the dog run. Get a shotgun....:D

You dont have to build a Fortress to stop them, you just have to make it harder for them to gain access, so its not worth the risk for them and they'll go elsewhere...

A sensor light is of little benefit. These guys are robbing oil in the middle of the day, the shotgun is only good if your there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 blakey1

altor wrote: »
    The oil Guard is the better option but if considering a PIR then this would do the trick.

Here's a low cost option that works a treat.
    http://www.responseelectronics.com/Friedland-Home-Alert-Kit---Chime-and-Automatic-Alert--HA100.html

By purchasing a few extra PIRs you could have a decent external alarm system for less that 100 euros.

I installed this myself to protect the perimeter of my house and within a week I was awoken to some scumbag in my garden heading for my house to break in. Fired a warning shot over his head and he wasnt long changing direction.

That was 2 years ago. Havent had any intruders since. The visible PIRs deter them and they pick an easier option.

100 euros well spent. ;)

For the chap who is worried about his oil tank, if it was me I'd shift it closer to the house and build a storage shed for it.

Advertisement