Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Totally Weird Suicide/Religious Leaflet Through My Door

Options
  • 01-03-2012 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Anyone else get this today ? or should i say more like a book.

got a 16 page book posted into my letterbox today, not addressed to anyone., no envelope ,nothing.

"A cry from the depths" by Benvolio

Just wondering did anyone else get one and did they spot who put it trough, this kinda thing cracks me right up, the absolute cheek of these people trying to ram their beliefs down peoples throats like that,:mad:

. i think its a disgrace that people can get away with such a thing. i mean what if i had someone young in the house and they picked it up and got brain washed by such utter crap.

and to top it all off, the first paragraph contains the word "f**k and that makes me really angry :mad::mad::mad:

so anyone in town get a glimpse of who these people are please post here,thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

and to top it all off, the first paragraph contains the word "f**k and that makes me really angry :mad::mad::mad:

fork? i prefer spoons too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Maybe Aongus O Snodiagh gave him some of the 50k worth of ink he bought just to use it up?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Just wondering did anyone else get one and did they spot who put it trough, this kinda thing cracks me right up, the absolute cheek of these people trying to ram their beliefs down peoples throats like that,:mad:

You're dead right, it's just like the Angelus being broadcast every day on State television to a multi cultural society

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Maybe I'm missing something but that doesn't seem religious, depressing as hell yes, but not religious?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Diamond_Ninja

We got one of these through the door a few weeks ago, freaked the hell out of me because I had no idea what it was about!! Ever since my 'No junk mail or newspapers' sign fell off I've been inundated!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

Sorry, yes, your right, ive taken the time to read the whole thing, its probably the most f**ked up thing ive ever read.

page 1 talks about being depressed, then it moves onto "reasons" why suicide is a cowards way out.then moves onto death,religion,god,the pressures of modern ireland, writing farewell letters,death, alternatives to suicide and more.

the last page says :

"dedicated to Frank, may he rest in peace, there comes a point when its too late,you cant reason with the dead,even on a good day i barely communicate with the living,but i am making an attempt here."

from what i gather now, he is giving me 5 reasons not to kill myself.

it is the most weirdest thing i have ever read in my entire life, surely im not the only one who got one of these ?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

Wow, that first page is weird. What's the chernobyl reference about?

I have a strange feeling that a cruel prank is being played here. Maybe that is somebody's essay that they didn't want people to read and someone has gotten their hands on it? Just a thought.

What area have these things been delivered and how many people have got them?

P.s maybe you should delete the authors name from your OP. just in case

I dont know, it has references to all kinds of things from Somali pirates to Dublin con-woman.

im in the town centre and got it before 12pm today.

when i google Benvolio he turns out to be a fictional character in William Shakespeare's drama Romeo and Juliet.

i dont know whats going on here, but all i can say is : its the most derailed and weirdest thing i have ever read, its like the ranting of a mad man with good grammar and intellect.

Ian7 wrote: »
    Wow, that first page is weird. What's the chernobyl reference about?

I have a strange feeling that a cruel prank is being played here. Maybe that is somebody's essay that they didn't want people to read and someone has gotten their hands on it? Just a thought.

What area have these things been delivered and how many people have got them?

P.s maybe you should delete the authors name from your OP. just in case

We got the same one about 3 weeks ago, Wexford Town too, maybe they're doing the rounds a few times I'll see when I go home if there's another one!

i dont know whats going on here, but all i can say is : its the most derailed and weirdest thing i have ever read, its like the ranting of a mad man with good grammar and intellect.

That leads me on to the second part of my theory, it seems to be someone with a mental illness, whether it be mild or severe, keeping in mind that depression is rampant in Ireland at the moment. A lot of people who go through mental illness find time to write down their thoughts possibly as a method of keeping busy and this could be a result of that. But why and how it is being posted around, i couldn't even think. If this was supposed to be a private essay then I feel really sorry for who ever wrote this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

oldyouth wrote: »
    You're dead right, it's just like the Angelus being broadcast every day on State television to a multi cultural society

And don't forget the bongs at midday on RTE RADIO:mad:

vicwatson wrote: »
    And don't forget the bongs at midday on RTE RADIO:mad:

Are you guys even sure that this is a religious leaflet? Even if it is, comparing the Angelus to religious spam post is completely off topic.

That leads me on to the second part of my theory, it seems to be someone with a mental illness, whether it be mild or severe, keeping in mind that depression is rampant in Ireland at the moment. A lot of people who go through mental illness find time to write down their thoughts possibly as a method of keeping busy and this could be a result of that. But why and how it is being posted around, i couldn't even think. If this was supposed to be a private essay then I feel really sorry for who ever wrote this.

yeah,im thinking now i should take it down, as maybe this shouldnt be read,so ill edit my post and take the attachments out.

but if anyone else got one of these please post, i cant make no sense of it at all..

yeah,im thinking now i should take it down, as maybe this shouldnt be read,so ill edit my post and take the attachments out.

but if anyone else got one of these please post, i cant make no sense of it at all..

It's just a theory though mind. I think the one attachment was ok, there wasn't much given away in it. It's a strange situation, though. Do you reckon the person is looking for help? And should the gardai or health service be approached about it or would that be a bit extreme? Hard to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

My parents got one of these this morning in Coolcotts.

I've stolen it to have a read after seeing the discussion here. However, my initial interpretation is that it is an appeal to other people that may be depressed not to commit suicide and get help (in a very round about way). That by committing suicide your affecting others around you in ways you cannot imagine.

I thought maybe Frank had committed suicide and its plunged the author into severe depression. As an outlet the author is trying to prevent other people from doing the same thing to their loved ones.

It is a bit freaky though.

Yeah I think that last poster was right, that Frank was somebodys friend and it was a kind of a tribute and an appeal at the same time. When I got it I just threw it in the box under the sofa but I rooted it out yesterday and I think the above is actually the case. Why they feel the need to post it through doors is anybody's guess though, and so spread out, you say you got yours yesterday while I got one about 3 weeks ago! Odd to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

I was very grateful to have something so substantial to get the fire lighting with.

May the weirdo's/fuel merchants continue to supply me on a weekly basis

May the weirdo's/fuel merchants continue to supply me on a weekly basis

I hope you don't ever suffer from depression or some other mental illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

I hope you don't ever suffer from depression or some other mental illness.

Oh FFS. Its not like I criticised those with depression etc, but those who think that throwing some propaganda mumbo-jumbo through my door will matter, instead of an actual sucide prevention group or the like.

If they think that outlining that suicide is a cowardly way out is going to help anyone, then they are sadly mistaken I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Are you guys even sure that this is a religious leaflet? Even if it is, comparing the Angelus to religious spam post is completely off topic.

Sue me :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Oh FFS. Its not like I criticised those with depression etc, but those who think that throwing some propaganda mumbo-jumbo through my door will matter, instead of an actual sucide prevention group or the like.

If they think that outlining that suicide is a cowardly way out is going to help anyone, then they are sadly mistaken I'd say.

I didn't say that. It is clear that the author of the paper is quite possibly unwell, depressed or perhaps even on medication for an illness. An attitude of calling people with mental health issues "Weirdo's" doesn't help.

That is a matter of opinion, not fact

That is a matter of opinion, not fact

You're right. none of my business to tell you what to talk about.

You're right. none of my business to tell you what to talk about.

That's not my point. Some people, myself included, would consider the Angelus to be spam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

That's not my point. Some people, myself included, would consider the Angelus to be spam

I agree. They've tried to water it down over the past couple of years by implying that it is now multi faith but the fact remains, only the RC church rings bells at noon and 6pm. Scrap it altogether, if you need to be reminded over the airwaves to pray to your God you're probably a lost cause anyway.

Yes we all have opinions on religion but what does being offended by a bell have to do with the leaflet being passed through doors in Wexford? It's pretty obvious that it has nothing to do with any religion. Unless it had contact details or mass times on it, i don't think you have anything to worry yourselves about.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

but what does being offended by a bell have to do with the leaflet being passed through doors in Wexford?
    Not a RC fan but I am not offended by a bell over the airways either. It's more tradition now at this stage that religious IMO.

I am offended by being represented in the dail by that scruffy git in the pink tee-shirt though.

Advertisement