Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody know what this pipe is for?

Options
  • 01-03-2012 1:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies for the quality of the pic.

I was always intruiged by these two openings in the wall of the railway line at whitworth road.

One seems to be a large pipe with an access cover and the other is more like a metal trapdoor.

Obviously they predate the apartments and was wondering do they have any connection with nearby Mountjoy prison.

194850.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

Yeah, Mountjoy. I'm fairly sure I saw Tim Robbins skulking out of that pipe when I was walking home late one night.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

They are culverts, that's all.
    There was a branch of the Royal canal which ran along the western perimeter of the grounds and a stream which ran parallel to the main canal.

There are many similar culverts along the Liffey, Tolka and Dodder - the doors are mostly to prevent rats although the Poddle culvert portal is reputed to have bars to stop two legged tunnel rats from gaining access to Dublin Castle.
    The idea of the trap door is to act as a release valve when there is a build up of water pressure in the culvert.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

I only recently heard about Dublins many underground tunnels and passageways. Fascinating stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

bc dub wrote: »
    I only recently heard about Dublins many underground tunnels and passageways. Fascinating stuff.

Is there a link to any of that info?.

Sounds like something to get my teeth into over a few hours.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

There was a book by Clair L. Sweeney in 1991 on the streams of Dublin, most of which are obviously underground now.

edit: here it is http://books.google.ie/books/about/The_rivers_of_Dublin.html?id=60wkAgAACAAJ&redir_esc=y

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Daycent thread here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055409409

Im sure I read a few more on this very forum.

There is a work in progress here
    And a Boards thread in this forum here

Advertisement