Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

13 hours lying on her bedroom floor and AnPost still dont care?

Options
  • 01-03-2012 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi
    My motherinlaw lay overnight for 13 hours on her bedroom floor unable to use her onpost mobile phone. It was locked out. Why?
    We cant find out. We are being told that under the data protection act unless we can get the old lady to her phone the operator wont deal with her family. The operator had no supervisor attending and has offered to ring us back. We explained the circumstances of her being in hospital and that she needed to have her phone.
    I am still waiting for the return call from the operators supervisor. To me this is a security issue and no family should have to go through it. I am annoyed that anpost will sell a mobile phone to a old lady and then ignore her calls for help in her hour of need. This is wrong.
    Thankyou for reading this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 player101

Id be angry if i was you to, i just want to point this out before you get a barrage of email, even when any phone is locked out you can still make emergency calls to 999 or 112, this will more than likely be An posts response. hope it goes well, and hope th emotherinlaw is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 WORD

player101 wrote: »
    Id be angry if i was you to, i just want to point this out before you get a barrage of email, even when any phone is locked out you can still make emergency calls to 999 or 112, this will more than likely be An posts response. hope it goes well, and hope th emotherinlaw is ok.
    All we want to do is bring her phone back to her hospital bed so her immediate family can contact her. Half an hour later i am still waiting on anpost to ring me back. The operator blanked any attempts to unlock the phone despite it having credit. Do old people need to be treated this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭28064212

If thief has stolen a phone, wouldn't they just say the real owner is "in hospital" if that will get it unlocked?

Your situation is unfortunate, but the protections are in place for a reason

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    If thief has stolen a phone, wouldn't they just say the real owner is "in hospital" if that will get it unlocked?

Your situation is unfortunate, but the protections are in place for a reason
    And a good enough reason to hinder and not help an old lady lying in her hospital bed with a service that is deemed defunct because of a law that can protect in one hand and hinder in another.
    Your statement would come in a time of need. Thankyou for that. It was most helpful.
    On my next visit to see her i will tell her that.
    No trawling please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

WORD wrote: »
    All we want to do is bring her phone back to her hospital bed so her immediate family can contact her. Half an hour later i am still waiting on anpost to ring me back. The operator blanked any attempts to unlock the phone despite it having credit. Do old people need to be treated this way?

How do you mean locked? If she entered the PIN incorrectly and then needed a PUK she may not have had the chance, or even knew about that facility before your mother-in-law was took ill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

If AnPost won't talk to you and you NEED phone, get a new SIM and or phone as a temp measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭28064212

And a good enough reason to hinder and not help an old lady lying in her hospital bed with a service that is deemed defunct because of a law that can protect in one hand and hinder in another.
    Your statement would come in a time of need. Thankyou for that. It was most helpful.
    No trawling please.
    :rolleyes: If your mother-in-law had her phone stolen, and the thief entered the wrong PIN three times, would you be on here complaining that An Post had unlocked the phone because the thief had sold them a sob story? I think you probably would

Why can't your mother-in-law contact An Post btw?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

No trawling please.

:confused: what he said is correct.

If theyve upset you, change provider, get a new phone and tell them where to stick their phone when they call you back (which i wouldnt hold my breath for btw).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'd be *extremely* unhappy if someone was able to ring up my mobile provided, claim I was ill then get my phone unlocked. What they're doing is for your mother's own protection even if it's currently inconvenient.

How do you mean locked? If she entered the PIN incorrectly and then needed a PUK she may not have had the chance, or even knew about that facility before your mother-in-law was took ill.
    We presume that because she had not used or credited her mobile phone for a certain lenght of time that it locked itself. Correct me if i am wrong.
    All we want to do is give it back to her. She is in no fit state to deal with anyone at the moment. The operator was speaking to her daughter and gave details that was only pretaining to the family in question. I personally spent some time on the phone too. This is rediculus!
    I was told that one of the supervisore had left the office and another one was on another call and she would phone me back. That was an hour ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭irelandrover

We presume that because she had not used or credited her mobile phone for a certain lenght of time that it locked itself. Correct me if i am wrong.
    All we want to do is give it back to her. She is in no fit state to deal with anyone at the moment. The operator was speaking to her daughter and gave details that was only pretaining to the family in question. I personally spent some time on the phone too. This is rediculus!
    I was told that one of the supervisore had left the office and another one was on another call and she would phone me back. That was an hour ago.

Its not AnPost's fault if you do not use the phone correctly. If your mother in law doesn't credit her phone in the required time then she should have gone with a different company with different rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

From my reading it sounds like your mil locked her ph and could not ring for help.
    Im confused where anpost come in to this.
    Were they aware she was lying in the floor but they refuses to unlock it for her?

I think you should look at a better alert system for your mil - maybe an alarm that she wears [like a necklace] that she just as to press a button.

I have no clue why you think it is anposts fault that your mil was not helped when she fell.

I hope your mil is doing better now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

No trawling please.

Hardly trolling, as what the poster said is true. You know the unfortunate situation is true, but how are the phone operators to know its not simply a stolen phone?

You would need to see can you setup an arrangement so that someone other than the phone owner can deal with the operators if it needs be in future. They ask the phone owner security questions etc to identify it is actually them. So you for example could probably arrange with them that you look after it in future, through permission from the phone owner, your MIL in this case.

http://www.postfone.ie/terms_and_conditions_/34/information.aspx
      1. You may apply Credit to Your Account by means of any of the methods made available by Postfone from time to time and may thereafter make Calls for a certain fixed period as advised by Us from time to time (please refer to Postfone´s Customer Guide for details). The amount of the Credit will reduce as a result of Calls being made. No Calls may be made once all Credit has been used (with the exception of Calls to the emergency services and to the number 1747 or such other number as We may specify). You may continue to receive Calls for a period of 180 days (or such other period as We may advise from time to time) following the date on which Credit is last applied to the Account. It is up to You to decide how much Credit to load onto Your Account. If Your Account has no Credit You will still be able to receive incoming Calls, but You will not be able to make outgoing Calls or access any Content.
    The phone must not have been topped up for about ~6 months. Even for a casual user, that's infrequent.

As far as I can see, if your mother-in-law was in trouble, and was able to call emergency services or customer services using an inactive SIM then Postfone have fullfilled their end of the bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Was the phone locked due to not having topped up recently enough (in which case the solution is simple- top up!) or was the pin blocked due to it being entered incorrectly?

I'm sorry your mother was ill, and that she was stranded for so long but those things have nothing to do with Postfone. They can't give priority to customers based on wellbeing and age, all customers have to be treated the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

A wrongly entered pin a few times will lock the phone sim out also, requiring the PUK code to then unlock it.

Its not AnPost's fault if you do not use the phone correctly. If your mother in law doesn't credit her phone in the required time then she should have gone with a different company with different rules.

Thankyou for ignoring the issue!
    What i am trying to get across is if the person who owns the phone is incapasited why wont the company who provides the sevice at least help the immediate family resolve the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

What i am trying to get across is if the person who owns the phone is incapasited why wont the company who provides the sevice at least help the immediate family resolve the situation.

Data protection law.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Thats simple to answer!

How do they know you are son in law and not phone thief?

Data protection law

amdublin wrote: »
    Thats simple to answer!

How do they know you are son in law and not phone thief?

Data protection law
    By giving personal details that only the family would know.

• Advertisement

By doing what?
    Do you want AnPost to unlock every phone if someone rings up and says the owner is in the hospital?
    By giving personal details that only the family would know

What information would this be?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Its not AnPost's fault if you do not use the phone correctly. ...
    Maybe so, but I believe lots of tech is being sold to people who haven't got the first clue who to contact or how to get themselves out of a fix when they encounter the simplest obstacle.

I believe it is incumbent on the retailer and/or the service provider to ensure that people, elderly people in particular, understand thoroughly what they are buying and how it works.For example, there should be a big button on every mobile labelled "Help Me" that gets through to a help-desk at all times, whether the phone is in credit or not, locked out from other calls or not and/or there must there must be a single button pre-programmed to 999/112, and clearly labelled.

Change the laws and force people to stand up for their customers as well as stand over their products.

Sorry to her about your mother-in-law OP; I hope she makes a full recovery.

mathepac wrote: »
    Maybe so, but I believe lots of tech is being sold to people who haven't got the first clue who to contact or how to get themselves out of a fix when they encounter the simplest obstacle.

I believe it is incumbent on the retailer and/or the service provider to ensure that people, elderly people in particular, understand thoroughly what they are buying and how it works.For example, there should be a big button on every mobile labelled "Help Me" that gets through to a help-desk at all times, whether the phone is in credit or not, locked out from other calls or not and/or there must there must be a single button pre-programmed to 999/112, and clearly labelled.

Change the laws and force people to stand up for their customers as well as stand over their products.

Sorry to her about your mother-in-law OP; I hope she makes a full recovery.

If you don't know how to use something then don't buy it. Or learn how to use it before you buy it. I should not have to have a big Help Me button on my phone because someone else cant read a manual or terms and conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

By giving personal details that only the family would know.
    I've seen mobile phone companies allow this kind of family intervention before. It generally involved parents spying on their adult children or angry ex-gfs/bfs causing trouble.

If you don't know how to use something then don't buy it. Or learn how to use it before you buy it. I should not have to have a big Help Me button on my phone because someone else cant read a manual or terms and conditions.

What's the model of the phone OP? Don't Postfone carry a few Doro models? i.e. phones more specifically targeted towards the elderly.

By doing what?
    Do you want AnPost to unlock every phone if someone rings up and says the owner is in the hospital?

What information would this be?
    I dont intend to entertain you any longer as you have missed the point completely.

I dont intend to entertain you any longer as you have missed the point completely.

The point as far as i can see is that you want AnPost to break data protection laws because they should know that your mother in law is sick in hospital.

What's the model of the phone OP? Don't Postfone carry a few Doro models? i.e. phones more specifically targeted towards the elderly.

Its a small Samsung flip phone. I dont see a model number on it. It has a red back on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Doesn't matter the operator as:

1) All mobile operators, as far as I'm aware, will block/lock the SIM after a period of inactivity and not topping up

2) All operators will heed data protection laws.

Can you clarify whether it's the SIM or the phone itself that is locked/blocked??

• Advertisement

If the OP's mother in law was using a handset intended for the general public then she may have had trouble operating it. Perhaps she could have been provided with a phone more suitable for her needs, for example a dedicated emergency alarm function.

EDIT: Read your post OP. Your mother in law really should have been using something like this:

http://webshop.postfone.ie/p-7-doro-505.aspx

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement