Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

growing daphnea/brine shrimp

Options
  • 01-03-2012 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Does anyone know how to start a colony of brine shrimp etc.Would love to grow my own .. save me buying them .. but even just cos im interested not so much for saving money ..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

Brine shrimp are very easy to hatch. I use this method

I recommend using decapsulated eggs, far less messy than dealing with shells. If you want to grow them on you'll need to make up a larger batch of brine water and feed them in a separate container.

I can't help you with daphnia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

I kept daphnia for years....bought a starter batch in a shop for €1, chucked them in a bin of water out the back and had a supply for years!!! Would need to protect them a little if we got a winter like the previous 2 but apart from that no work at all.
    The only issue is getting them out in a clean and efficient manner in order to feed them to the fish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mutznutz

fungun wrote: »
    I kept daphnia for years....bought a starter batch in a shop for €1, chucked them in a bin of water out the back and had a supply for years!!! Would need to protect them a little if we got a winter like the previous 2 but apart from that no work at all.
    The only issue is getting them out in a clean and efficient manner in order to feed them to the fish
    where did you buy that starter kit ..love to get my hands on one

Brine shrimp are very easy to hatch. I use this method

I recommend using decapsulated eggs, far less messy than dealing with shells. If you want to grow them on you'll need to make up a larger batch of brine water and feed them in a separate container.

I can't help you with daphnia.

where can you get the decapsulated eggs .. and will they continue to breed themselves ... what do you feed them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

Most decent shops should have them.

They won't breed for you. You can buy liquid food for them in shops.

• Advertisement

much appreciated advice .. thank you:D

mutznutz wrote: »
    where did you buy that starter kit ..love to get my hands on one

i got mine in the orchard but it was one of the guys who worked there had got them in. They kept some out the back at that time....so when i had an accident at one point (*someone* emptied that dirty old bin out :mad: ) they just gave me more from their stash for free. Only thing was they didnt have any of the cool ones that looked like little racing cars :pac:

anyway, juat ask, get a chap who is interested enough and he can prob get them for you. Should be cheap

fungun wrote: »
    i got mine in the orchard but it was one of the guys who worked there had got them in. They kept some out the back at that time....so when i had an accident at one point (*someone* emptied that dirty old bin out :mad: ) they just gave me more from their stash for free. Only thing was they didnt have any of the cool ones that looked like little racing cars :pac:

anyway, juat ask, get a chap who is interested enough and he can prob get them for you. Should be cheap

thanks a mill .. legendary

like i say though, i ended up with a fairly manky bin full of them. didnt want that water in my tank so the transfer of them ended up being a real problem.

Advertisement