Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new apple tv?

• 01-03-2012 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

I've just ordered the apple tv so I can tether my ipad to the projector in school. I just spotted the announcement for march. What do you think are the prospects on a new apple tv? Should I cancel my order from apple? I think I have 7 days to change my mind on it. But I really wanted to get started with the ipad in school so I can't make up my mind!
    Advice needed :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Full HD support for starters, possible bluetooth support this time around (in fact i think the current ATV2 has a dormant BT chip in it, so a software update will unlock this feature too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

I was just about to buy one!!
    Any idea when the new version is due out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

There's a Apple Media event on the 7th March which is rumoured to launch the new Apple TV and iPad3.

They new products usually launch immediately after that but may take some time to get to Ireland. I would guess that they will be available in Ireland within a month.
    http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/28/apple-issues-invitations-for-ipad-3-media-event-on-march-7/

Nice one. Looks like Ill be holding off on the purchase for another few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

All cancelled. Must say they are lovely to deal with!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Did you ask them could you buy an Apple TV3 instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

godtabh wrote: »

Did you ask them could you buy an Apple TV3 instead
    Or iPhone 9 ........

Ha ha no! I'm not stupid :) if the announcement doesn't include an apple tv then I'll order on march 7th!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

soundsham wrote: »
    Or iPhone 9 ........

I'd wait for the iPhone X

What kind of features are people expecting for the new Apple TV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

soundsham wrote: »
    Or iPhone 9 ........

I've only had my ATV2 a few months now so I won't be getting the new one if there is one but one thing I'd like changed in a software update or whatever is the way you type. That is very cumbersome at the moment.

However with mirroring coming with mountain lion in a few months that might improve things but that also means its unlikely there's going to be a full browser or anything like that on this.

To be honest, apart from it being an actual TV, with mountain lion coming, I can't see them doing anything too dramatic with the little box

• Advertisement

one thing I'd like changed in a software update or whatever is the way you type.

if yo have an iphone or an ipad download the remote app, connect to the same wifi as the ATV and use the keyboard on the remote app to type

if yo have an iphone or an ipad download the remote app, connect to the same wifi as the ATV and use the keyboard on the remote app to type

I never knew you could do that. I'll try that this evening. Thanks for the tip!

In fairness I'm talking of waiting all of 7days in case there's a new edition. It's not the same as saying I'm not buying an iPhone-an upgrade there is unannounced and months away

Better resolution, to match the new Ipad coming apparently,

http://www.macworld.com/article/165630/2012/03/eyes_on_the_next_apple_tv.html

This is what I hope for!

Question: does this new atv have new hardware? What sets it apart from the old one apart from the updated os and 1080p, and couldn't the current one do that via a firmware update?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Question: does this new atv have new hardware? What sets it apart from the old one apart from the updated os and 1080p, and couldn't the current one do that via a firmware update?
    new processor was needed to be able to stream 1080p at 30fps consistently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Yep, its got a special single core version of the A5.

There's a software update available now for those of us stuck with the old one!

I see. Although I never got 720 to stream well for me either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

been fine for me, guess it depends on your net connection.

i'll be picking one of these up at launch, hope it jailbroken soon after launch. the apple tv upgrade today is actually impressing me more than iPad 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I downloaded the software update onto my ATV2. Completely new interface and I'm not sure I like it! I think the old one was slicker.

Still, some interesting new features I hadn't noticed before. You can now buy movies as well as rent. I assume they are stored "in the cloud"? Also they've added "genius" recommendations to movies, based on your previous rentals/purchases. Handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭ted1

So only difference is 720 v 1080 any other difference? Sound?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

ted1 wrote: »
    So only difference is 720 v 1080 any other difference? Sound?

I think the sound is the same, so no HD audio like True HD or the likes, which is a pity, cos for me the step up in audio quality on a blu-ray over a DVD is as important as the picture quality.

I believe you will be able to download previously purchased movies again though in 1080 for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,922 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Considering getting one of these, what channels does it receive in Ireland apart from Netflix?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

No channels as such, apart from access to the iTunes movie store, and Netflix.

Just ordered mine. Looking forward to getting it set up and see what it can do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Just ordered mine. Looking forward to getting it set up and see what it can do
    Yeh me too. I tryed to order it last night when the store came back online. But it just kept failing. Sorted now this morning.

Yeh me too. I tryed to order it last night when the store came back online. But it just kept failing. Sorted now this morning.

Looks like there might be a couple of weeks of a wait time though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

eeloe wrote: »
    No channels as such, apart from access to the iTunes movie store, and Netflix.

Im hoping to buy an ATV but there is one thing i need to know before i do. Is the NBA.TV app on the irish version of the ATV. Its advertised on the US one but only MLB on the Irish site.

Advertisement