Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A&E Bill

Options
  • 01-03-2012 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I went to the A&E one Friday a few weeks ago with visible lumps and was in alot of pain. The doctor ran a blood test and said he would refer me on to get a breast check. He never gave me any antibiotics or painkillers. I went to my own doctor on the the Monday as the symptoms persisted. He told me I had mastitas (I couldn't believe it was this as I thought only cows got it lol). He put me on a course of antibiotics and said he could clearly see the lumps and also that I should have been on the antibiotics to clear the infection or it could set in and I could get it again.

My query is this: the A&E bill came in for €100, I don't mind paying this if I had of been diagnosed, but I still had to go and pay €50 for the doctors to get diagnosed.

Do I have to pay the A&E bill?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Tradin wrote: »
    Do I have to pay the A&E bill?

Yes, you do. You used their service.

There are signs all over A&Es in hospitals informing people that there is a €100 charge.

You should have gone to your GP first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Tradin

Ye I did think that all right, especially when they did the bloods and all, I won't be going back in a hurry in future!

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This is part of the reason for the A&E charge - to dissuade
    people who should go to their GP first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Ye I did think that all right, especially when they did the bloods and all, I won't be going back in a hurry in future!

Thanks

Because you had to pay:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Thanks

The system works!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

€100 is quite cheap when you look at the resources that were tied up in dealing with you at A&E..

Not to be crass but A&E is Accident and Emergency. You don;t appear to have fallen into either category in which case your GP or out of hours would have been more appropriate The bill is actually quite cheap..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

lala88 wrote: »

Well, possibly because they completely failed to diagnose the issue and do anything about it, which is really a lot more serious than the €100 charge.

Oh no not that I had to pay because they didn't diagnose me!

Oh no not that I had to pay because they didn't diagnose me!

maglite wrote: »
    €100 is quite cheap when you look at the resources that were tied up in dealing with you at A&E..

Not to be crass but A&E is Accident and Emergency. You don;t appear to have fallen into either category in which case your GP or out of hours would have been more appropriate The bill is actually quite cheap..

I had tried to make an appointment with my doctor that day, I got very worried because there is a strong history of cancer in my family and got worried about the size of the lumps, this is why I chose to go to A&E and was also told to go if I was worried about it. Under normal circumstances I would have waited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Even if you were highly suspicious of it being cancer it's still not an accident or an emergency. They would have just referred you to the same symptomatic breast clinic that your GP can do online referrals to. All urgent cases are seen within 2 weeks, accident and emergency is for something that needs to be dealt with there and then. The doctors there also just deal with the small stuff and consult on anything else, they can't be expected to know everything.

Advertisement