Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spare a thought for these poor bastards..

• 01-03-2012 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

Andrew Schiff was sitting in a traffic jam in California this month after giving a speech at an investment conference about gold. He turned off the satellite radio, got out of the car and screamed a profanity.
    "I'm not Zen at all, and when I'm freaking out about the situation, where I'm stuck like a rat in a trap on a highway with no way to get out, it's very hard," Schiff, director of marketing for broker-dealer Euro Pacific Capital Inc., said in an interview.
    Schiff, 46, is facing another kind of jam this year: Paid a lower bonus, he said the $350,000 he earns, enough to put him in the country's top 1 percent by income, doesn't cover his family's private-school tuition, a Kent, Connecticut, summer rental and the upgrade they would like from their 1,200-square- foot Brooklyn duplex.
    "I feel stuck," Schiff said. "The New York that I wanted to have is still just beyond my reach."

The smaller bonus checks that hit accounts across the financial-services industry this month are making it difficult to maintain the lifestyles that Wall Street workers expect, according to interviews with bankers and their accountants, therapists, advisers and headhunters.
    "People who don't have money don't understand the stress," said Alan Dlugash, a partner at accounting firm Marks Paneth & Shron LLP in New York who specializes in financial planning for the wealthy. "Could you imagine what it's like to say I got three kids in private school, I have to think about pulling them out? How do you do that?"

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/bonus-withdrawal-puts-bankers-malaise-050100338.html

Can we set up a charity for these people or something? or is it only starving Africans we give money to?

Racism if you ask me :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Scores of lawyers, accountants and CEO's on Trocaire boxes and we can have a whip around for them.

Poor feckers, dont think I'l sleep tonight, surely $350,000 a year isnt enough?

Think of the 1% :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

AT least he still has his two audis and the porsche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

So what I never got this resentment towards those big earners, its the industry they are in and it pays well. I say fair fkucs to them, if I was less of a partier and if i studied harder I could have being there to. But I made different choices, so I do not resent those that made the right choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

44leto wrote: »
    So what I never got this resentment towards those big earners

I don't resent big earners, fair play to them. I do, though, resent big earners who give out about how little they earn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

So what I never got this resentment towards those big earners, its the industry they are in and it pays well. I say fair fkucs to them, if I was less of a partier and if i studied harder I could have being there to. But I made different choices, so I do not resent those that made the right choices.

Perhaps if you lick their boots you'll get a share :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Begrudging big earners who do hard, important work is one thing.

Begrudging incompetents and cheats is quite another, especially when they're so delusional and distanced from the real world that they whinge about earning a slightly less-than-astronomical wage in a world where millions die of starvation, and many in the first world are seriously struggling.

Such people are quite simply despicable b*stards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

What a terrible situation for the man's children, the poor mites. They'll end up bringing homemade sandwiches into private school & being picked on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Another Big Hat No Cattle type.

Does his family need private tuition?
    Do they need a Summer rental?
    Does he need a house that big?

If you saw two people during the course of the day.

One was wearing a Brioni suit, a gold Rolex, Barker handmade shoes and drove a top-of-the-range Mercedes.

One was wearinig a pair of jeans and a simple shirt, a seiko quartz watch, a pair of loafers and drove a mid-range Toyota.

I'm willing to bet Andrew Schiff identifies himself with the former, the Mr Flash who is one down payment on his Merc away from bankruptcy rather than the latter who is a multi-millionaire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Ha, no less than they deserve. These guys are worthless, and quite frankly the deserve even less imho, as they haven't earned it.

Begrudging big earners who do hard, important work is one thing.

Begrudging incompetents and cheats is quite another, especially when they're so delusional and distanced from the real world that they whinge about earning a slightly less-than-astronomical wage in a world where millions die of starvation, and many in the first world are seriously struggling.

Such people are quite simply despicable b*stards.

Like footballers or movie stars. I still will not begrudge them, you may not regard it as hard or useful work but it is stressful and very useful as most our pensions are based on their decisions.

You and I could have been one, we just chose a different path, these are talented experienced people whose labour is very much in demand hence the high salaries and bonuses.

Would you feel better if they earned minimum wage.

• Advertisement

The point is that Andrew Schiff is stuck in a specific kind of rat race.
    Whereas any sane person would relish a job that paid as well, the fact is
    if he isn't seen to have the flash car, the fancy weekend getaway and the perfect kids, then this would affect his social standing which in turn would be detrimental to any career or promotional prospects. The fact that his bonus is smaller than normal means that he is stressed out at having to maintain the facade of success/wealth when everyone else would deem him successful anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Anyone else open this thread and expect to see a photo of the Irish rugby team ahead of the match in Paris?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

If he's unhappy with what he earns, that's his problem - not anyone else's.

Like footballers or movie stars. I still will not begrudge them, you may not regard it as hard or useful work but it is stressful and very useful as most our pensions are based on their decisions.

You and I could have been one, we just chose a different path, these are talented experienced people whose labour is very much in demand hence the high salaries and bonuses.

Nobody is begrudging them such rewards.
    In fact if you ask me professional footballers are actually underpaid relative to how much their 'Industry' generates but that's another matter.

What people want to do is slap a bit of persepctive into Mr Schiff to realise how good he actually has it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

They would have no problem whatsoever about raiding your pension pot or mine.

If they're so talented why have they made such a complete and utter dogs dinner of so many people's finances? Why reward recklessness and failure?

Given they're performance in the last few years minimum wage is about all they deserve.
    q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Some people are so out of touch with reality, it's great watching from the outside.. Muppet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

Shut up! Atlas Shrugged was the best book ever written!!

No, not in those cases, as they generate such huge amounts of money that their high salaries are justified, though I think that even so, footballers and movie stars are ludicrously overpaid. Their pay could be cut drastically and they'd still earn huge amounts.

In the same fashion, I wouldn't get too upset about a CEO earning big wages when he was generating much more money for the company.

But if I hear a ridiculously wealthy person complain about being slightly less ridiculously wealthy, as in the article in the OP, or...
    Originally posted by Ashley Cole
    I couldn't believe it when they weren't prepared to pay me £60,000 a week! (on Arsenal only offering a paltry £55k a week)

then I'll rightly think that person is a massive, delusional c*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

"People who don't have money don't understand the stress," said Alan Dlugash

Alan should tell this to the many Americans living in their cars and the rest living in tents in forests.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/front_page/newsid_9694000/9694094.stm

Let's hope Andrew Schiff get's what HE wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Plenty of his type here also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I don't resent big earners, fair play to them. I do, though, resent big earners who give out about how little they earn!

Reminds me of Warren Buffett admitting that he pays half the tax that his secretary does. This didn't go down well with a lot of the wealthy, but some have supported what he said.

The 'Buffett Rule' on tax. Go ON Obama!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16713717

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Reminds me of Warren Buffett admitting that he pays half the tax that his secretary does. This didn't go down well with a lot of the wealthy, but some have supported what he said.

The 'Buffett Rule' on tax. Go ON Obama!!

He be shot before that **** happens...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

44Leto, surely you can see it's the guy's attitude, not his income, that people object to? Your "Would you like him to be on minimum wage?" comment is just obtuseness. Nobody even hinted that.

Think of the Pee Flynn "You try running a couple of households" thing on the Late Late. This is along those lines.

The fact this New York guy is going on about experiencing "hardship"... it actually reads like something in The ****ing Onion.

If he's unhappy with what he earns, that's his problem - not anyone else's.

This poster has it right, it really isn't anyones concern apart from the chap who feels he doesn't earn enough. I earn a decent enough wage, nothing to envy, and I wish I earned more. I have the typical western world problems which I am sure someone reading about my problems in a less fortunate place, will scream WTF is he moaning about.

My life is far to short to resent those who earn more.

Oh it's such a delight when people blatantly ignore the defences of people they're throwing swipes at. :pac:

Find one person here who obviously resents him for earning more? Or even for his unhappiness re the drop in his income?

He's saying he's experiencing "hardship" - do you honestly think it's resentful to find that utterly obnoxious? It's not even relative hardship. It's a change - not a nice one for him personally, given what he's used to, but it is nothing near, nor ever will be, hardship.

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh it's such a delight when people blatantly ignore the defences of people they're throwing swipes at. :pac:

Find one person here who obviously resents him for earning more? Or even for not liking the drop in income?

He's saying he's experiencing "hardship" - do you honestly think it's resentful to find that utterly obnoxious?

No because I don't care, if he feels he is not earning enough he is in the 99% majority on Earth and that has nothing to do with what they actually earn, we all want more. He strides for a certain lifestyle and obviously he feels he can't achieve that on his income. As I said I earn a reasonable amount, nothing major, and I am reasonably content, but I definitely could do with another income, I am even looking for nixers. So am I been greedy by not being happy enough with contentment.

if he feels he is not earning enough he is in the 99% majority on Earth and that has nothing to do with what they actually earn, we all want more. He strides for a certain lifestyle and obviously he feels he can't achieve that on his income. As I said I earn a reasonable amount, nothing major, and I am reasonably content, but I definitely could do with another income, I am even looking for nixers. So am I been greedy by not being happy enough with contentment.
    /first bang of head against desk

You're not saying you're experiencing hardship - therein lies the difference. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

"I'm not Zen at all, and when I'm freaking out about the situation, where I'm stuck like a rat in a trap on a highway with no way to get out, it's very hard," Schiff, director of marketing for broker-dealer Euro Pacific Capital Inc., said in an interview.

I am Zen. I do not freak out.

Z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

my landlord owns about 30 houses (some of which are converted into blocks of flats) scattered around dublin city.... he dresses in old clothes and drives a white vw van.

he makes 670 euros alone per week from the building im in 5x 110 + 1x 120 for the bigger flat. now factor in the rent he gets for the other 29 or so buildings he owns that a lot of money per week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I find it funny that people are bitch about this guy who has problems that are relevent to him during the middle of Thursday. He didn't get the job for doing nothing. Problems are relative to you are your social group. Old people complain when young people express their problems . Unemployed complain when people bitch about their jobs.

Problems are relative, hardship often isn't. I wouldn't blame him for being pissed off but his hysterical reaction is pathetic.

I find it bizarre that a couple of you are desperate to find begrudgery re his earnings when it's not that at all.

Toady much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

rgmmg wrote: »
    Anyone else open this thread and expect to see a photo of the Irish rugby team ahead of the match in Paris?

Thanks for making me smile today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Thanks for making me smile today

You're very welcome! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

RichieC wrote: »
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/bonus-withdrawal-puts-bankers-malaise-050100338.html

Can we set up a charity for these people or something? or is it only starving Africans we give money to?

Racism if you ask me :(

The Onion would have been proud of that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Hi Nodin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

rgmmg wrote: »

No I did not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Dudess wrote: »
    Find one person here who obviously resents him for earning more? Or even for his unhappiness re the drop in his income?

Agree with nearly everything you posted, except for the above. In Ireland in general, and AH in particular, there are plenty of begrudgers like the below who will always resent people who earn a high income (no matter how it's earned).
    wes wrote: »
    Ha, no less than they deserve. These guys are worthless, and quite frankly the deserve even less imho, as they haven't earned it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

blackwhite wrote: »
    and AH in particular, there are plenty of begrudgers like the below who will always resent people who earn a high income (no matter how it's earned).

Firstly, I actually do pretty well financially. So I have no reason to begrudge anyone. Personally, I have no issues with the likes of Bill Gates etc being rich, as they actually earned there money.

These bankers however have not earned this money, they have been bailed out etc, and quite frankly get paid a lot more than there really worth, as we have seen from the mess they made, they don't have a damn clue what there doing.

They have been taking money out of the pockets of people who are actually successful in what they do. Simply put these idiots should have been allowed to fail, and then have to deal with actual poverty, as opposed to there current cry baby attitude. So if you want to defend a bunch of feckless cry babies, who don't deserve anywhere near what they earn due there own stupidty, go right on ahead. Quite frankly they deserve there current situation and hell of a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Sure people in Ireland bitch about stuff aswell. My GF started ****ing complaining this morning that I couldn't make poached eggs, sure a starving African would have eaten them and then offered to wash my car. There's probably a thread on Boards.rw about us greedy Irish and our 200 quid a week dole. It's all relative to the world you live in. Just because you're in the same geographical location as someone doesn't mean they live in the same world as you do.

token101 wrote: »
    Sure people in Ireland bitch about stuff aswell. My GF started ****ing complaining this morning that I couldn't make poached eggs, sure a starving African would have eaten them and then offered to wash my car. There's probably a thread on Boards.rw about us greedy Irish and our 200 quid a week dole. It's all relative to the world you live in. Just because you're in the same geographical location as someone doesn't mean they live in the same world as you do.

But your girlfriend probably wouldn't claim that she was suffering hardship because of you not being able to make poached eggs, and conduct an interview with a reporter saying so.

That's the difference between Schiff, and most people complaining about minor nuisances. We complain, yes, but we still maintain perspective and recognise that these are minor nuisances.

• Advertisement
Advertisement