Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West Cork next week

Options
  • 01-03-2012 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Very excited to explore this part of Ireland that I haven't seen yet (looks gorgeous ) . I'm going to the Beara Peninsula for 4 days next week and I'd like to wet some lines there.
    Mostly interested in trout fishing, streams or loughs, possibly on wild fish. I really like to hike, so mountain lakes are always a great destination.
    How is the fishing this early in the season? Any particular fly pattern that I should bring?
    Where can I find clear regulations on the loughs in the peninsula and around Killarney? I'm finding confusing information on the web.

Eventually I'd like to try some saltwater ff from the shore, is it to early in the season for that?

Sorry for all the questions, any pointers would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

Season not open there until March 16th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

Theres got to be plenty of places open shirley?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

i thought the trout season opened on feb 15th? is it different down that part

Yea. From Kenmare to Bantry and Beara pen. The season is from Mar16 to Oct 12th.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Well it appears there isn't and don't call me shirley.

(well no one else took the bait :pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Could be a bit late to pick up in time for your trip but Peter O'Reilly's book "Loughs of Ireland" would have all the info you'd need

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

invicta wrote: »
    Yea. From Kenmare to Bantry and Beara pen. The season is from Mar16 to Oct 12th.

Yep still waiting down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Please don't call me Shirley.

Lol I never knew that it was a later date down there
    Is lough clonee included in that so that's one cracking little lough

realrebel wrote: »
    Lol I never knew that it was a later date down there
    Is lough clonee included in that so that's one cracking little lough

It is, along with all the rest of them, and your right--- it sure is!! But mind the submerged rocks. You would want to Know it at all water heights.cos the only way to fish it (specially "the western one") is from a boat.

• Advertisement

ya its nearly as bad as currane we row around the lake when we go out there its safer :D

Advertisement