Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coming off shift, losing allowance?

Options
  • 01-03-2012 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I work in a job that has a two shift weekly pattern in place. One week you are on earlys, the next you are on lates.
    We in the last few weeks found out that we will be able to work normal hours if we so wish too.It said in the letter that we would automatically lose our shift allowence, however some of my work colleagues are convinced that they will get to keep it as they have been on shift for well over two years. Is there any truth to this? We are in the civil service.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

If you are working shift, you get a shift allowance.
    If you are taken off or leave shift, you don't.

It doesn't matter who you work for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If you voluntarily move back to a standard shift of course you'll lose the allowance. It's your choice not something that's being done by force. I can imagine the usual public sector union-types moaning a lot but they hopefully won't get anywhere with this one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

justaquery wrote: »
    I work in a job that has a two shift weekly pattern in place. One week you are on earlys, the next you are on lates.
    We in the last few weeks found out that we will be able to work normal hours if we so wish too.It said in the letter that we would automatically lose our shift allowence, however some of my work colleagues are convinced that they will get to keep it as they have been on shift for well over two years. Is there any truth to this? We are in the civil service.

If you still believe in Santa Claus you will keep your shift allowance. If you do not believe in Santa Claus you will not keep your shift allowance.

Advertisement