Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reclaiming VAT outside of ROI

Options
  • 01-03-2012 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

I buy a reasonable amount of business supplies for my own business use on the likes of ebay. Problem is that most sellers, including the VAT registered ones don't drop/refund the VAT at point of sale. A couple of them have, but it's a rare find. How should I go about reclaiming the VAT under those circumstances? Do I submit this in my normal online returns?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

I have more or less the same problem when I import some things here, to Finland. I can't reclaim the VAT unfortunately so I'd imagine the same for you. I could be wrong but I don't think do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

But if I go up north and give my vat number, or if phone a uk business, I can have the vat dropped, as long as they are vat registered themselves. I just want to know how it is reclaimed if it is charged by a vat registered company. Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

goz83 wrote: »
    But if I go up north and give my vat number, or if phone a uk business, I can have the vat dropped, as long as they are vat registered themselves. I just want to know how it is reclaimed if it is charged by a vat registered company. Anyone?

You can only reclaim vat in a jurisdiction in which you are vat registered. So the short answer is - You Can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Ashlinggnilsia

In the UK they should not charge you VAT if they are a VAT registered business however if they do unless you can get them to refund it you can't claim it back on any Irish VAT form as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

goz83 wrote: »

It's not a question of them being VAT registered. If they aren't registered they're not going to be charging you VAT in the first place. But if you do get charged VAT in error by a UK business that's probably going to make your costs 17.5% too high. There doesn't seem to be a mechanism for reclaiming UK VAT anymore.

A proper business should have no problem in issuing a credit note and a replacement invoice without VAT.

Edited to add that repayment claims can be done, but only electronically through ROS. The details are here:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/refunds/unregistered-based-in-ireland-faqs.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement