Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broccoli

Options
  • 01-03-2012 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any tips for keeping broccoli happy for more than a couple of days? mine tends to go yellow and horrid in a short time but can keep lettuce a week or more in a container with trimmed stems and bit of water at base.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I keep mine in the fridge in the salad crisper section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Has anyone any tips for keeping broccoli happy for more than a couple of days? mine tends to go yellow and horrid in a short time but can keep lettuce a week or more in a container with trimmed stems and bit of water at base.

Possibly a stupid question, but are you taking it out of the plastic wrapper, if it's in one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Don't cut/break the stem off when your buying it, that's what all the grannies do, the majority of moisture and nutrition is in the stem. Keep it in the fridge, ideally in a moist atmosphere and remove the plastic wrap if its prepacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

In the case of broccoli, I find that it keeps better if it is tightly wrapped in cling film in the fridge. I know most vegs should be removed from the plastic wrapping, but I find broccoli to be the exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Apparently wrapping most veg in a damp cloth keeps them longer. Maybe dedicate a tray to veg and line it with a damp cloth.

I wrap alot of veg in tinfoil if I've used half, e.g. onions and peppers and they seem to keep quite well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

I try to buy a fresh clump and that survives best in a loose bag from dispenser supermarket. But often a special offer on a prewrapped crown.... Not sure whether to leave with its original wrap as best I can or in open air or not? Yes I love the stems and would not trim off. Really nothing worse than when it is gone 'off'. I will try the damp cloth. Thanks all.

I just checked on broccoli I have in the fridge for 5 days. Its in a lunch box and cut into florets (my reasoning was that if I kept it together at the stem, it would ripen quicker - bananas do this anyway. Also couldn't fit the whole bit in the lunch box!). It is still hard and fresh. Tips are starting to discolour slightly but I'll be cooking it this evening so unless it tastes mediocre (and I'll edit my post if it does), its seems a good way to keep broccoli.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Broccoli on special offer this week in Aldi 79 c for 500g ( which looks like a normal pre packed portion) Also 3 pack of peppers for 79 c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Tourism

This is one of the very few "Super Foods" out there. I store it in a brown paper bag and it seems to do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Used to hate broccoli until I discovered stir-fying it with a tsp of olive oil, soy sauce and chilli flakes. Now I could eat it by the bowlful :D

• Advertisement

Eviledna wrote: »
    Used to hate broccoli until I discovered stir-fying it with a tsp of olive oil, soy sauce and chilli flakes. Now I could eat it by the bowlful :D

That's exactly how I cook it most of the time.

Its a lovely veg in curry also (the heads are great for soaking up sauces). I never make a green thai curry without broccoli.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Eviledna wrote: »

That is a lovely way to cook broccoli.

If you get a chance, try purple sprouting broccoli or the long stemmed broccoli.
    Its even nicer.

Advertisement