Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can't Ireland have something like this?

• 01-03-2012 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭

http://www.carlsbro.com/news_view.php?id=61&National+Learn+to+Play+Day+-+Saturday+March+31st%2C+2012

The 31st March has been declared a national "Learn to Play Day" in the U.K. It has always amazed me how Ireland, world renowned for it's music, both traditional and otherwise, is very lacking when it comes to encouraging people to take up an instrument. In the USA music is taught from a very young age. Here, AFAIK it is not taught in primary or secondary schools (correct me if I'm wrong on this). Yes, we have the Internet as a great learning resource, but people need a little encouragement to get started in the first place. Granted, it is hard to make a living as a musician in Ireland, but that's no reason why people should not be encouraged to at least give it a try. They might end up to just like playing for it's own sake, in which case both their lives and maybe the lives of others will be more enriched because of it.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Looks like a great idea alright. Recorder or tin whistle is about as far as the curriculum can stretch over here! Schools do teach other musical instruments, but in my experience it's usually after hours at an extra cost. Depends on the school i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I suppose it says a lot for Ireland's talent that we can produce world renowned musicians against all the odds, given the minimal (if any) encouragement and education here.

It begs the question though,....good as we are now, what would we be like if music had been given a much higher priority in schools down through the years ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Yeah it's a shame :( it was usually just a subject to piss about in in school sometimes but I loved it I'd love to see more encouragement in music and art for that matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Rigsby wrote: »
    Here, AFAIK it is not taught in primary or secondary schools (correct me if I'm wrong on this).
    Music was definitely taught in my primary school. I don't recall it being particularly structured though. We just used to play various tunes on the tin whistle. I'm sure you're aware that music is available as a subject to study at Junior and Leaving Cert level too :).
    Rigsby wrote:
    Granted, it is hard to make a living as a musician in Ireland, but that's no reason why people should not be encouraged to at least give it a try. They might end up to just like playing for it's own sake, in which case both their lives and maybe the lives of others will be more enriched because of it.
    Learning to play an instrument and making a living from playing that instrument are two different things. I get a lot of enjoyment out of playing that I probably wouldn't if it was my job!

Malice wrote: »
    I'm sure you're aware that music is available as a subject to study at Junior and Leaving Cert level too :).

No, I wasn't actually. Glad to hear that it is. However, this implies work, study, exams etc. What I'm generally talking about is trying to encourage everyone from nine to ninety to at least have a try at playing an instrument. Maybe untapped talent might be found. Even if not, playing music for the sheer pleasure of it, can be a release valve for some, in these times. The tin whistles in schools is just a half baked, ill thought out, attempt to be seen to "teach" music. Within reason, there should be a choice for people to pick up an instrument that actually appeals to them, and be given some basic lessons to get them started. Not every teenager wants to play the tin whistle ;). It is no thanks to this country that we have the musical talent we do. Even in the boom times, something like national "Learn to Play Day" was never going to be a runner. Some chance of it happening now, in these lean days. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Rigsby wrote: »
    No, I wasn't actually. Glad to hear that it is. However, this implies work, study, exams etc.
    Doesn't actually learning the instrument imply at least the first two of those as well? When I first started playing bass in school I remember a bunch of of us all getting instruments around the same time. Some of those people were quite talented but 15+ years later I'm pretty much the only one still playing. A lot of those that stopped did so because of the effort involved. It seems people would rather be passively entertained by the television or something.
    Rigsby wrote:
    playing music for the sheer pleasure of it, can be a release valve for some, in these times.
    There's no "in these times" as far as I'm concerned. I've always enjoyed playing, recession or not.
    Rigsby wrote:
    The tin whistles in schools is just a half baked, ill thought out, attempt to be seen to "teach" music. Within reason, there should be a choice for people to pick up an instrument that actually appeals to them, and be given some basic lessons to get them started. Not every teenager wants to play the tin whistle ;).
    The problem is though that the schools tend to have damn all money. In my primary school days (mid to late 80s) that was even more the case. Little Johnny is far more likely to get his wish to have a tin whistle costing less than €10 than say an acoustic guitar which could cost ten times that. Even in my secondary school there wasn't a lot of choice for what you could play unless you supplied your own instrument and of course then you had the problem of other kids potentially (ab)using your gear.

Malice wrote: »
    Doesn't actually learning the instrument imply at least the first two of those as well? When I first started playing bass in school I remember a bunch of of us all getting instruments around the same time. Some of those people were quite talented but 15+ years later I'm pretty much the only one still playing. A lot of those that stopped did so because of the effort involved. It seems people would rather be passively entertained by the television or something.

There's no "in these times" as far as I'm concerned. I've always enjoyed playing, recession or not.

The problem is though that the schools tend to have damn all money. In my primary school days (mid to late 80s) that was even more the case. Little Johnny is far more likely to get his wish to have a tin whistle costing less than €10 than say an acoustic guitar which could cost ten times that. Even in my secondary school there wasn't a lot of choice for what you could play unless you supplied your own instrument and of course then you had the problem of other kids potentially (ab)using your gear.

I basically agree with most of what you say. Yes, learning an instrument does involve a lot of work. Some dont realise just how much, but by encouraging them to try, at least they'll know if they are up for it. If they are not, then so be it. Even if only one in ten stick with it, then IMO the effort to encourage them was worth it.

With regards to "these times" : I, like you, have always enjoyed playing regardless of any situation. We obviously have a natural attraction to it. Others might need a kick start to bring out the talent or the love of playing. My point here was that people may not realise the calming and therapeutic effect that playing an instrument can have. They will never know unless they try it. Strumming a guitar, etc is one of the best ways to take your mind off your troubles for an hour or so. You then have the choice to go further with your learning if you so wish.

Yes, the perpetual money shortage. I agree that schools are hard pressed to make ends meet. However, it is not just the money that is lacking, but the willingness and enthusiasm to bring music up a few notches on the priority list. In the boom years, I doubt if much changed. I'm not just talking about schools. Our general attitude as a nation, towards providing the basics, be that encouragement, facilities, teachers etc, for people of all ages to play an instrument, is sadly lacking. Money, while a major draw back, is only part of the problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I reckon the love of and interest in playing has to start at primary school. Not that it's too late in secondary, it's just the standards would improve all round if started at a younger age.
    I know when I went to school we had no instrument lessons in primary, and only did music theory (hated it!) in secondary. If I'd started lessons in primary I'm sure be 'good' at guitar by now!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Our school starts with tinwhistle from senior infants up. The children are grouped by ability as they get older.By the time they get to 3rd many have chosen other instruments.At the moment we have box players, concertinas,fiddle and flute players.The children play at school concerts, busk for charity at Christmas and play for things like confimation,visits to senior citizens and so on.
    It's so lovely to see all the children playing together.Better again, some past pupils are teaching with us and they are passing on their love to the next generation.
    If teachers aren't especially musical,they can swop with other teachers,where one teacher takes the music class and the other teacher does another subject with that class.

Gaspode wrote: »
    I reckon the love of and interest in playing has to start at primary school. Not that it's too late in secondary, it's just the standards would improve all round if started at a younger age.

I agree entirely. In the USA they start introducing children to instruments almost as soon as they can walk. Often, by their early teens they will have "found" their instrument, after having tried a few. Also, learning anything is much easier at a young age. Having said that, the method of teaching, especially with someone very young is important. It has to be fun. I know of many adults that were turned off playing music at an early age, because they were frog marched to piano/tin whistle/violin etc lessons against their will. In many cases they did not even like the instrument that was "chosen" (forced on, more likely) for them. Again, that key word...encouragement... keeps coming up.

• Advertisement

Our school starts with tinwhistle from senior infants up. The children are grouped by ability as they get older.By the time they get to 3rd many have chosen other instruments.At the moment we have box players, concertinas,fiddle and flute players.The children play at school concerts, busk for charity at Christmas and play for things like confimation,visits to senior citizens and so on.
    It's so lovely to see all the children playing together.Better again, some past pupils are teaching with us and they are passing on their love to the next generation.
    If teachers aren't especially musical,they can swop with other teachers,where one teacher takes the music class and the other teacher does another subject with that class.

That's very encouraging. There's hope for us yet. ;) Would you say your school is the exception, or is this the norm ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

We have a particular interest in trad, since the school began. Other schools locally have also started instrumental music, some are the recorder type school band and there are some are now doing trad.

These would be part of the school day in our school, though there are also after-school music classes (paid) covering everything from brass instruments to bodhrán.

Advertisement