Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MY ROAD TO IM AUSTRIA 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

Kinda how I felt on the bike this morning too for a very similar session. Did you hop on it straight out of bed? Maybe it down to not feulling the session. A big no no according to a Matt Dixon article I was reading this morning while gobbling toast

No actually was last night, but got delayed for an hour when I was about to start so I was probably hungry starting off. I had a power bar before I started aswell, so maybe it was tiredness, sleep has not been great lately.

At least the rain had decided to stop for a brief moment last night, about 40 turned up for the mostly flat 14k TT. Off at 30 intervals as previous, the pressure was on between the various clubs and serious smackdown talk ensued.

Over in a flash, caught and passed 4, I felt strong and my average speed increased every mile, those turbo sessions are starting to pay dividends it seems. However there seemed to be a discrepency in the timing me thinks. According to my garmin I finished in 00:18:34 average speed 43.13 kmh but was credited with 00:19:07 and 2nd place overall. I can't complain with a podium finish again but its disappointing to smash last years course record of 00:19:11 and not get the win :mad:

This time next week I'll be in sunny Klagenfurt, trying to catch Oryx and Red B as they disappear in the distance in the water, and according to the long term forecast Sunday July 1st is going to be......Sunny 30C :rolleyes: thats great, I'm going to die on the run in that heat.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

handangeo wrote: »
    This time next week I'll be in sunny Klagenfurt, trying to catch Oryx and Red B as they disappear in the distance in the water, and according to the long term forecast Sunday July 1st is going to be......Sunny 30C :rolleyes: thats great, I'm going to die on the run in that heat.
    You wont be trying to catch me. Ill be doing my best flounder in the background. And we pale Irish will all die on the run. Dont worry about it. Just do it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Getting close now...will be practicing my tracking strategy beforehand to ensure full coverage of the Boardsie contingent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

The only disappearing I'll be doing is in a shower of water as I splash and flail my way around the lake using my patented "brute force and ignorance" technique (before transferring it to the bike and run :D..........hopefully:rolleyes:).

Heat will be a problem :( Sponge everywhere:D!

• Advertisement

Last long run of sorts, 10 miles in 1hr 10 mins went out on purpose with no fuel on board or with me, trying to replicate the way I felt in Roth on the run. It was warm and very breezy, was averaging 7:15 per mile until the last one where it dropped to 7:29, was running on empty at that stage and I was longing for an aid station or even dreaming for one.

Still I could have cut the loop short and just did 8 miles but forced myself on to do the 10, thats all I had programmed in my head so I wasn't doing an inch more! The legs were a bit sore afterwards, just to keep things ticking over I'll probably get a swim in this pm after work.

After my run I took a look at my runners, Brooks Adrenaline GTS I got them for the DCM last October in B2R but have put over 500 miles on them since. Now I'm in a dilemma they look shook plus the support at this stage is probably worn out, why didnt I think of this a month ago :rolleyes: I'm going to have to phone them today and see will they post them out and try and get a few runs in them to break them in somewhat.

T-7 days to the showdown........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Best of luck chief, you have the same dilema as me on the swim but think of the fun catching all those on the bike and run.

Best of luck chief, you have the same dilema as me on the swim but think of the fun catching all those on the bike and run.

That's the best bit! However starting to panic now in case its a non-wetsuit swim. Then I'm really in trouble :eek:, this time next week I plan to be in zzzzzzzzzzzz land.........I wish!

Saturday - 30 min swim just to keep things ticking over, had kids duty so nothing else done. Trying to decide what to wear, I was going with tri top but now changed my mind to go with a cycle jersey this year as I got roasted on the shoulders in Roth. I'm also undecided yet what to change into for the run, and no its not a fashion dilemma its a practical one ;)

This morning 5k @ 3.58/k and 1.5k @ 4.40/k pace a total of 6.5k in 30 mins ish, it was a lovely morning to be out, sun was shining and little or no wind. I spent the miles trying to visualise my run next Sunday, how easy my legs felt today, turnover was good and I felt light on my feet. [Despite a weekend of choc biscuits I still weighed in at 60kg this morning!]

I just know the heat in Austria is going to kill me, it sucks the energy and power right out of me, I slowed right down at the end of my run today to a pace of 5.40/k - this is what speed I was at in Roth in the heat. I couldnt believe it how slow I must have been running. I never took any gels on the run that day, as I could not bear the thought of another one after taking them on the bike leg.

I have agreed with myself no matter what the conditions are, I'm going to take my gels regardless, blank out the heat, focus the mind and suffer, suffer and suffer some more. I am determined not to come home with excuses, its the same for everyone on the day. Its time now to seize the moment.

At what temp do they make it non wetsuit? I'm buggered if that happens :)

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    At what temp do they make it non wetsuit? I'm buggered if that happens :)
    "Wetsuits are permitted if the water temperature is up to (and including) 76.1 degrees Fahrenheit (24.5 degrees Celsius) or colder.
    Wetsuits will be prohibited in water temperatures greater than 83.8 degrees Fahrenheit (28.8 degrees Celsius).
    Athletes who choose to wear a wetsuit in water temperatures between 76.1 degrees Fahrenheit (24.5 degrees Celsius) and 83.8 degrees Fahrenheit (28.8 degrees Celsius)will not be eligible for awards, including World Championship slots."

Originally from: http://ironman.com/faq/rulesfaq#ixzz1yneopUiT

They nearly always seem to find a way to measure it under 24.5....

Izoard wrote: »
    "Wetsuits are permitted if the water temperature is up to (and including) 76.1 degrees Fahrenheit (24.5 degrees Celsius) or colder.

Wetsuits will be prohibited in water temperatures greater than 83.8 degrees Fahrenheit (28.8 degrees Celsius).
    Athletes who choose to wear a wetsuit in water temperatures between 76.1 degrees Fahrenheit (24.5 degrees Celsius) and 83.8 degrees Fahrenheit (28.8 degrees Celsius)will not be eligible for awards, including World Championship slots."

They nearly always seem to find a way to measure it under 24.5....

They better find a way and fast - You getting itchy feet Mr Izoard?? Haven't done an IM without you!

They better find a way and fast - You getting itchy feet Mr Izoard?? Haven't done an IM without you!

I've taught you everything I know...time for you to fly:)

Yep, really missin' that feeling mixing panic and anticipation, right about now...

Despite a weekend of choc biscuits I still weighed in at 60kg this morning!

:eek: Ah c'mon!!!!

There was me feeling content with myself yesterday after a 2 hour plus cycle in the midday sun with full winter gear including thermals, hat, winter gloves and seeing the scales creep under 75kg for the first time in decades!

Back to the Sauna for me I guess :rolleyes:

Izoard wrote: »
    Yep, really missin' that feeling mixing panic and anticipation, right about now...

Oh I bet you are alright, I'd rather be where your standing right now!

RedB wrote: »

There was me feeling content with myself yesterday after a 2 hour plus cycle in the midday sun with full winter gear including thermals, hat, winter gloves and seeing the scales creep under 75kg for the first time in decades!

The penny has just dropped and by 75kg I actually meant 85kg :eek: :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Best of luck this weekend handangeo,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Best of Luck handangeo, hope it goes as planned.

Thanks for the good wishes guys, BIB No. 1559 if anyones tracking progress.

Collected my bike box from a mate last night and started stripping it ready for packing, theres always some last minute hitch, but thankfully all going to plan. I have a monster checklist which I'm ticking off gradually, including upgrading the sat nav to get me from Vienna the correct way.

All the trainings done, I can do no more thats going to make much of a difference. I arrive in Klagenfurt Thurs evening and will hopefully register and get the bike built. Friday will do an easy brick just to keep things in touch and Saturday a final swim. Its going to be hot, hot, hot be the looks of the forecast http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Klagenfurt/forecasts/latest so its going to be an epic battle to stay somewhat cool.

tick, tock, tick, tock what was months away is now only days to go :eek:

Collected my bike box from a mate last night and started stripping it ready for packing, theres always some last minute hitch, but thankfully all going to plan. I have a monster checklist which I'm ticking off gradually, including upgrading the sat nav to get me from Vienna the correct way.

All the trainings done, I can do no more thats going to make much of a difference. I arrive in Klagenfurt Thurs evening and will hopefully register and get the bike built. Friday will do an easy brick just to keep things in touch and Saturday a final swim. Its going to be hot, hot, hot be the looks of the forecast http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Klagenfurt/forecasts/latest so its going to be an epic battle to stay somewhat cool.

Very best of luck with it - your improvements over the past few years have been exceptional, so fully expecting you to give this course a good ar$e kicking :)

Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

RedB wrote: »

+1 bloody jockey types... :rolleyes: I set myself a weight goal for Barcelona, I don't know why I bother

Best of luck George!!! I'l be glued to the screen with a few from here and a throng from the Club heading over.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck. Solid training put down - have a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Best of luck this weekend. Hoping to get to follow a good bit of the day with a few from my club heading over as well. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

All the best George. Give it stick!

pgibbo wrote: »
    All the best George. Give it stick!

Cheers - was that you I saw on the HOTW results?? if so great race well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Cheers - was that you I saw on the HOTW results?? if so great race well done.

If you're referring to a 2:36 time then yes that was me. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭griffin100

Best of luck this weekend, I'll be following your progress with interest.

I hope to see you there, or at least catch a glimpse of you racing into the water ahead of me somewhere. Anyhoo. Enjoy. Do it justice. All of that.

Oryx wrote: »
    I hope to see you there, or at least catch a glimpse of you racing into the water ahead of me somewhere. Anyhoo. Enjoy. Do it justice. All of that.

Will probably see you at the race briefing, Red B has my mobile number, maybe we can meet up for a swim or something on Saturday?

George

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Good luck to you on Sunday!! Woo hoo!! And if it's hot - stay properly ahead of the hydration thing.....and keep up with electrolytes. You'll be fine...totally enjoy the everything!!! :D

Advertisement