Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MY ROAD TO IM AUSTRIA 2012

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

handangeo wrote: »
    Will probably see you at the race briefing, Red B has my mobile number, maybe we can meet up for a swim or something on Saturday?

George
    I won't be there till late Friday, and depend on nirvana to get to race hq, so I dunno if I will get to meet up. Will pass on my mobile anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

This is it now, bike packed [nearly forgot my saddle somehow :eek:, came across it when everything was done!] all gear good to go. Fly to Vienna early Thursday am and drive hire car to Klagenfurt to arrive sometime tomorrow pm.

From there its register, build bike, few short sessions and focus on the race, I have no distractions either as I'm travelling solo, which is fine, but its nice to have family or friends at the finish line. I know you guys will be tracking us 3 on line, so each time I cross a timing mat I'll be pushing it on that little bit more for you all.

I'll try and update on the far side......Carpe Diem

bon courage, see you on the other side. :)

One word...."HOT" arrived thursday afternoon after a long drive from Vienna in my little Fiat 500 :D, just in time to register and get the bike assembled in record time. Today I had a lovely swim in the cleanest lake I've ever seen!! Water is getting warm and there is a real possibility now of a non wetsuit swim - that would freak me out being a poor swimmer at the best of times.

Spent a fortune at the Expo, all the usual gear, gels, aero bottle bracket, and all the stuff I forgot. It reached 36 degrees mid afternoon and looks same for the weekend. Its going to be carnage on the run.

Domestic issues on the homefront have distracted me the last 6 months and things are not improving. Needless to say its good to be away but just putting off the inevitable upon my return. Things haven't been very rosy for a while, and Ironman training certainly doesn't help.

Anyway its nearly race day, its all getting very real.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Don't stress about the wetsuit if you can't wear it. I've been in races with and without wetsuits and the good news is you're all in the same boat so most of the other swimmers will be fretting and all the times will be slower. You just need to remember to stay relaxed and rhythmic in the swim...and enjoy the peace and quiet and loveliness of the cleanest lake you've ever seen....and think about how incredible this experience is, but try not to choke on the water you'll be taking in from grinning too much at the excitement of it all. You'll be fine. No worries. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Well done George, great time too. ;) Were not worthy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Awesome job!!!!! Serious congratulations are in order to you - hope you are celebrating properly. :)

Lovely to meet you G. If you passed me on the run and I didn't say hi, sorry I was delirious from heat. :) Well done on a great race in very challenging conditions. Hottest day in Austrian history I heard. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Oryx wrote: »
    Lovely to meet you G. If you passed me on the run and I didn't say hi, sorry I was delirious from heat. :) Well done on a great race in very challenging conditions. Hottest day in Austrian history I heard. :)
    +1 :)

Great to meet Oryx and Red B in transition before the start....finally!

Sorry everyone but it was downhill for me from then on, had terrible swim, and was exhausted getting on the bike. That extra 30 mins swimming for me made it a long day. Bike was hot and certainly NOT flat like its known to be. Run was well a walk, I had lost interest long before then.

Full report on my return, needless to say I'm really disappointed. However I did meet a lady who qualified for Kona, getting the only slot in her AG. RESPECT! She finished around 10hrs 30. She was so relaxed despite having 3 IV drips when she finished!!

I knew my target was gone the minute it was non wetsuit. However I did manage 2.4 miles without one......barely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

good job in getting around in those conditions and tackling the swim sans suite - never something people plan for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

interested wrote: »
    good job in getting around in those conditions and tackling the swim sans suite - never something people plan for.

+1 Well done

Race Report Ironman Austria 2012

After completing IM Switzerland and Challenge Roth I choose IM Austria as its renowned for being a fast course, and
    probably one to get a good PB. Since doing 10hrs 49 mins in Roth, I knew that I was capable of at least sub 10:29:59.
    For 2 reasons - I knew if it wasn't as warm I could bike stronger and run much better Hmmmmmmmmm!

I flew into Vienna and took a hire car and drove the 330k to Klagenfurt, I was in no hurry and arrived late afternoon. The weather
    was very warm with little or no breeze at all. Registration was simple and easy and I was happy to have that done an dusted. From there
    I made my way to my city centre Hotel - No Air Con and the room is like a furnace. Next morning headed back to the IM village to soak
    up the atmosphere and have a swim. Decided about 30 mins with the wetsuit should be fine, the water in the Worthersee is drinkable and
    so clean, it was warm and a lovely blue green hue. Lots of swimmers about including lots of white bodied Irish folk!

After lunch I had to pick up some stuff at the Expo which I had forgotten and ended up spending a fortune, then changed into my run gear,
    and did 3 miles @ 7min mile pace. Christ when I was finished I was soaked through, there was no way I could maintain that pace on Sunday
    which was expected to be even hotter. The car temp guage was now showing 37 degrees plus I'd just got a parking ticket Ggggrrrrr. Decided
    the best option was to cool down with another swim sans the wetsuit - just in case.

Didnt sleep a wink friday night with the heat again, made a note to myself to try and get a rest Saturday pm. Race briefing was 9am on Saturday
    morning where they announced to a shocked audience "a non-wetsuit Swim" I went pale as did many others. I'm not the strongest of swimmers
    and maintain the same slow pace but 2.4 miles with no wet suit scared the living daylights out of me. Something I had never done in open water
    before. I saw lots of people in tears, in particular one girl who flew from Texas who was now pulling out of the race. Hung around the Expo for the
    rest of the day as bike racking was at 4pm for me, I managed to bump into Chrissie Wellington at the TYR stand, my God she is thin. I reminded
    her she passed me sprinting like a hare in Roth the previous year to which she apologised, she had time to speak to anyone and everyone and
    to me is a real champion.

RACE DAY

Breakfast 4:30am and bus to transition at 5:15am, its already 29 degrees and the eery silence of what lay ahead was very obvious in transition. I
    finally managed to meet Oryx and Red B who both seemed as nervous as I about the swim ahead. After depositing various nutrition to the bike, I pumped
    my tyres and set off to the start line. As the Austrian national anthem played, the helicopters and hot air ballons circled overhead. Red B and I
    shook hands and the cannon went off. 3 mins later I'm panicking and dont want to continue, this is not what I signed up for, I needed my wetsuit.
    I breast stroked and tried to calm down, I was being left for dead, everybody else it seemed could manage no problem. I made myself swim to the first
    bouy and then the second, I glanced at my watch and saw I was way off already time wise. I could not find any feet to draft off and slowly very
    slowly progressed to the first turn. As I looked back I still saw a lot of white hats behind me, this gave me small bit of encouragement at least.
    The rest of the swim seemed to take ages, I was tiring and my right calf starting to cramp. I kept thinking "I should be on the bike by now". The last 1k
    of the swim is down a narrow canal where the spectators line the banks to cheer you on. But by now it was sparse as everybody had moved to watch the bike
    leg, this was supposed to be the fun bit, it was a real grind and already it clearly wasn't any fun.

Swim 1hr47mins - the longest swim of my life, I was purely exhausted with having 30 mins extra energy used up that I hadnt planned on.
    As I grabbed my bike I was already tired, hot and my stomach was not in a good place mind you neither was my head. Out on the bike course, there was little
    shelter from the sun and its blistering reflective heat bouncing back off the asphalt. It was going to be important to drink all day, I had set my Garmin to beep every
    15 minutes as a reminder as I know after a few hours cycling my brain goes to mush. I was passing loads and keeping a good average speed up, but the power seemed to
    be lacking, its was like someone had grabbed a big syringe and sucked every bit of energy from me, I kept eating and getting calories in as much as I was able.
    There were a few steep climbs 10-12% gradient that at home I would comfortably stay in the big ring and motor up them, however today I was in the granny ring
    in my lowest gear and struggling. I had completely overheated so I took a full bottle of cold water at the next aid station and poured it over my head and legs.
    The demons in my head were praying for a puncture so I could maybe DNF and retire. However there were some lovely decents near the end of the first loop and managed to
    just touch 70kmh on one of them, as we turned back in Klagenfurt to start the second loop, I had to have a serious talk with myself as i had lost interest totally in the race.
    The second loop was more of the same and I just wanted it over, there were lots of people struggling and had death like stares when I passed them, It wasn't only
    me who had serious thoughts as to why they had signed up to this torture. I was calculating that I was not going to be over 6 hours on the bike no matter what so i pushed on to
    finish in 5hrs 50 min - at least 30 mins slower than what i had origionally planned to do.

Into T2 and collapsed on the bench to change - I had a complete change of clothes as my bike gear was going to be soaked at this stage, as I stripped off I removed
    my timing chip for some reason ? grabbed my gear and took off, I managed to run the first 2k but then reality struck. The wall of heat was incredible, and the majority
    of people were walking. The first aid station seemed ages away and i just wanted liquids, what was supposed to be a run was a jog, walk, run, walk, but with far more
    emphasis on the walk. On the run course which ran behind many peoples houses the locals were out with there hosepipes showering runners as they passed by, but this only
    gave a momentary relief from the intense heat. By now the ice was gone and aid stations stocks were becoming very sparse, I felt for those who would be out alot longer
    than I looking for aid. I realised after 21k I had no timing chip and could just imagine the panic going on at home for all those who signed up to the text alerts.
    I found a marshall and explained what happened with my chip in T2 and though nothing more of it until he found me a hour later and gave me a new one! This gave me a boost
    of sorts as I thought with no chip i would get no proper finish time. I just had 10k to go and decided to HTFU and get this nightmare over. One my final few K I passed
    Red B, I could hear the finish line announcers - only a few 100 m's and the pain would end. I crossed the line in 12hrs 26 mins my 3rd and slowest Ironman. I sat down at the
    finish, I was disgusted with myself, disappointed for everyone at home, sunburnt, cross and feeling weak. I went to the recovery area, with bodies strewn around it, the choice
    of food and drink was pathetic considering the cost of race entry and not a patch on the Challenge series events. So the journey ends, now with time to reflect the heat
    took its toll more than I could imagine, I'm really cross for not HTFU more than I did but on the day it didnt happen for me. Austria was an experience and i will have to
    look at my nutrition more and become mentally stronger to deal with those type of days.

Roll on Beast of the East Sunday week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

That really wasn't a day for the Irish. 17 degrees is too much for us, I can't imagine what it was like to race in 37 degrees. Congrats on finishing. No matter how disappointed you are you still struggled on to finish. Many others won't/didn't.
    Roll on Beast of the East Sunday week :)

I'll see you there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

From your report, it sounds like you had already checked out during the swim, so fantastic guts to keep it together and bag the medal.

Your photo at the finish line says it all.

One for the grandkids....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sounds horrendous. :D Well done for grinding out a result in tough conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

All I can say is WOW. Sounda like one hell of a day. Well done for getting around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

You are an inspiration to Ironman wannabee's like myself, you did a great time in unbelievable heat especially with the huge disappointment of not being able to wear wetsuit, I know if it was me I would have chucked the towel in after the first lap of bike.. congrats and hold your head up high- you have COMPLETED 3 IRONMAN races!!!!!!! your a LEGEND :D

Izoard wrote: »
    From your report, it sounds like you had already checked out during the swim, so fantastic guts to keep it together and bag the medal.

Your photo at the finish line says it all.

One for the grandkids....

I actually think I checked out at the race briefing the day before when they announced no wetsuits! I was on auto pilot from then on.

I didnt enjoy one part of the day except the finish line party which was rocking. I may just come in near the end some day to experience it ;)

On a happier note I won the Club TT last night :D, thats a first, first, second and first over the 4 races with 2 to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Nice report chief and again, very well done.
    re: lack of wetsuit swim

Hell of a swim to tackle without a suit and as you say yourself it had a direct input on the energy you'd left for the bike and run part of your day. Ive had a few experiences of swimming with and without wetsuits in 'soup' like that - and although you'd have been faster swimming in your wetsuit there is an associated risk in how much water/salt/energy you'd have lost during the swim if wearing the suit.
    In colder water they act as insulators, in warm water like that .. think I read it was 24.9 ... you've have been slowly cooking in a black wetsuit. If you stumble and fall due to overheating whilst running, its not ideal but there will be people around to look after you. If you start to suffer from dehydration whilst swimming .. well, passing out can have more serious implications - especially at an Ironman event when there are 2000+ other bodies in the water.

Can't have been easy in T1, fair play for getting yourself out the door and onwards.

• Advertisement

Back at it from today, I need to get some focus after a week off, my race schedule is as follows:

Beast of the East - for NS points
    Kilkenny Grand Prix Olympic
    IM Galway 70.3
    Challenge Barcelona.......?????

Challenge Barcelona is on the horizon as I'm kicking myself for my non show in Austria, it cant be as hot as it was last week and maybe worth a shot. I've been checking the temperatures online, it will be wetsuit as its a sea swim :D and should only be in the low mid 20's.

However the 70.3 in Galway is only 4 weeks before, I know I'll have recovered. I need to do myself justice for the training, its the finance issue aswell. Spent a fortune in Austria. What you think guys??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Back at it from today, I need to get some focus after a week off, my race schedule is as follows:

IM Galway 70.3

Challenge Barcelona is on the horizon as I'm kicking myself for my non show in Austria, it cant be as hot as it was last week and maybe worth a shot. I've been checking the temperatures online, it will be wetsuit as its a sea swim :D and should only be in the low mid 20's.

However the 70.3 in Galway is only 4 weeks before, I know I'll have recovered. I need to do myself justice for the training, its the finance issue aswell. Spent a fortune in Austria. What you think guys??

Well, what's your plan for next year? If IMAT was your last IM for a while, then finances and family allowing, I would jump at it.

From a readiness perspective, I don't see a problem doing Barca 4 weeks after Galway, as long as you are motivatied to keep at it.

Maybe give it another week or 2 before deciding and let the frustration of Austria die down a bit.

On the flip side, I think being in a constant state of "IMness", can be draining all round (personally, finances, family etc..) so it can be good to take the foot off for a while.

IM Galway 70.3

Personally I wouldn't bother with Galway. I did both last year and decided to do Galway at IM pace rather than risk it. I believe Galway is too close to Barca race it and then recover enough to race Barca to the best of your ability. Barca is a class race. Be warned though, it's damn hot. It was hitting 28 to 30 on the run last year - Barca that is, not Galway. :D

Accomodation in Callela is cheap and the resort itself is cheap too. Lovely area also. Flights aren;t too bad to Barcelona either and there''s a train that will take you from the airport to the Callela for around 30 return.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

+1 on Galway. If you have Barcelona in mind, particularly for redemption, then that will undoubtedly be the main foucs. Galway is just an expensive training session then. Rightnow it may seem like it may not affect Barcelona but consider some scenarios

1. You need a swim boost and tha weekend will be better served with a couple of long OW swim sessions
    2. You missed a long bike the week before due to Life getting in the way and now need to do a 5hour bike instead of a 5 hour race
    3. Its wet and windy and you get cold. This will increase the injury potential.
    4. You have a fabulous race at Galway, blitzing your expectations. However you went very deep to do so and need a week of hard recovery. You feel lethargic then with Barca 3 weeks away and do too much in the weeks leading up to it
    5. The extra pocket money you will have for post race celebrations in Calella :)

Well done on plugging away and getting through IMAT after that swim. It was a gutsy effort

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Great report re. Austria. You might have been pissed off with yourself at the end, but just finishing in that sort of heat is slightly mind-boggling (considering that melting-point for the average Irish male is 29 degrees*)

*This is scientific fact :D

pgibbo wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't bother with Galway. I did both last year and decided to do Galway at IM pace rather than risk it. I believe Galway is too close to Barca race it and then recover enough to race Barca to the best of your ability. Barca is a class race. Be warned though, it's damn hot. It was hitting 28 to 30 on the run last year - Barca that is, not Galway. :D

Accomodation in Callela is cheap and the resort itself is cheap too. Lovely area also. Flights aren;t too bad to Barcelona either and there''s a train that will take you from the airport to the Callela for around 30 return.

I know all about Galway and FOUR Seasons in 1 day there last year :eek:, the problem is its all booked and paid for including the accomodation. I hadnt planned at all on doing Barcelona, it looks cheap enough to get to and looks a cool race. Decisions, decisions!!

You could look at deferring Galway to another event. Ronanmac deferred his to Austria 70.3. The accomodation I'm not so sure about but most hotels have a policy that it won't cost you if you cancel with enough notice.

It sounds to me like you want to do Galway. If you then maybe, swim hard, bike hard and run easy. It would be too risky injury wise. I think MCOS calls it out perfectly above.

Your call at the end of the day but if it were me I'd look at nailing Barcelona and try to defer Galway for a European 70.3 next year.

A miserable wet, damp, rotten, windy...I could go on but it was the same for everyone. Most of the usual 30/40 of us turned up, hoping I suppose secretly it would be called off. The passing motorists must have thought we were a crazy bunch to be out on such a night.

The route is a flat rolling one, where the wind is either with you like the previous night or in your face like tonight. When I saw everyone else in wet gear I decided it was all about aero dynamics so dispensed with the rain jacket - we were going to get soaked anyway. I was off somewhere in the middle and has quickly passed the guy who set off a minute before me, I passed 2 or 3 more along the way, then because of the cold I was cramping in both calves? something that never happened before.

I battled through the pain, the average speed for the night was 37.01kph as opposed to 41kph the early week - thats the wind for you. It took at least 25 mins in a hot shower afterwards to thaw out - yes its the 12th July :eek:

Good news however - first place again with one more race to go, which I need to do a few laps of before the showdown next thursday evening. I have at last found something I'm good at after 41 years of trying! All those sufferfests on the turbo are paying off.......if only I could bother learning to swim properly I might be good at this triathlon/ironman lark.

SAT AM Went on a quick reconnaissance of the 16k route for Thursday nights final TT. Its pretty exposed on the early section with 3k of a pretty long drag, after that its rolling with poor enough road surfaces. I need to average at least 43kph on the night to win the overall series. We race 3 courses twice, however I missed this one when in Austria, and it was the only decent nights weather that week - TYPICAL!

So I will be watching the weather forecasts hourly praying for no wind whatsoever! Interestingly enough from the Tri Club and 2 local Cycle clubs involved circa 60/70 competitors the TRI club has the top 4 Positions on the leaderboard.

SUN PM Still now running or swimming since Austria, but managed 40 mins on the turbo @ 200w watching the last 48k of the Tour, I was suffering as much as they were and it was hot and sweaty especially the last 10 mins.

I have been deliberating purchasing a Zipp disk wheel all week, but I think I can justify it now, whether I have the balls to turn up to a race with one remains to be seen, plus the pi$$ taking from the Club members ;).
    I always thought it cool passing a pointy helmet or a disc wheel, now I'm rarely every passed on the bike.........maybe thats because the good bikers are fast swimmers and are gone ages before me!

• Advertisement

Finale of the season TT tonight, winds easing off here so its all to play for, splashed out on a new Zipp Disk wheel.......:D Haven't told the OH and the kids are sworn to secrecy shhhhhhhh!

Advertisement