Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to wear to First Holy

• 01-03-2012 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi,

My first born is making holy communion this year - not sure exactly what to wear any advice was thinking of this type of dress

http://www.asos.com/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1721677

Would red be ok and would cream clash - too dressy?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

mky17 wrote: »
    Hi,

My first born is making holy communion this year - not sure exactly what to wear any advice was thinking of this type of dress

Thanks in advance

It's not about you it's about your child offering themselves up the the Holy Catholic Church and God. You should just wear a pair of jeans and a top as it's irrelevant what the parrents wear. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

vicwatson wrote: »
    It's not about you it's about your child offering themselves up the the Holy Catholic Church and God. You should just wear a pair of jeans and a top as it's irrelevant what the parrents wear. :(

The OP is probably just trying to make an effort to look nice on her child's special day!

I think the dress is lovely. Personally I would go with the cream dress myself. The red could look lovely if you have the right skin tone too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Lola92 wrote: »
    The OP is probably just trying to make an effort to look nice on her child's special day!

I think the dress is lovely. Personally I would go with the cream dress myself. The red could look lovely if you have the right skin tone too :)

Make an effort to look nice? Why? The day is not about her (or him!:pac:) so it doesn't really matter what they wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Hi,

Thanks in advance

It's a big occasion so I would say you couldn't go too dressy. I like that dress!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Please keep on topic - the OP is looking for fashion advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's an important day in a child's religious development, and for some people, it's nice to mark that day. Hence, dressing well.

OP - that dress is really nice, as long as it's not too short for a church setting. Remember to get a cardigan or little jacket to keep your shoulders warm in the church.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

These occasions are often times when family are together so family photo's are usually done at communions, so it's nice to get dressed up! You wouldn't go to a wedding in jeans just because the day wasn't about you directly!!
    Op, I actually bought that dress in red and black from asos, and it's alot longer than it looks, asos sizes are also quite big, so if you haven't bought from asos before I would suggest getting a size smaller.
    Get it in plenty time so you can return it and look for something else in time.
    It's a nice dress and perfect for the occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

vicwatson wrote: »
    Pahahaha!! Okaaaaay. You do realise you're in the Fashion and Appearance forum dont you?

OP, i like the dress in cream and as long as its not as short as that in the video id go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mky17

Wow......vicwatson seriously off course its all about the child!! i wont even go anyfurther.....

To the rest that have replied....thanks a mill....:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Vicwatson, I assume if you have a child getting communion, you'll show up in your pyjamas because obviously no one will be looking at you anyway! :rolleyes:

OP, both dresses are lovely. I'd go for the red myself though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Please focus on replying to the OP rather than referring to vicwatson's post. It has already being dealt with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Hi,

Thanks in advance

This dress looks perfect, its elegant and dressy without being too ott. My little girl is making her Holy Communion as well so thanks for the link.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Op its beautiful dress, you wont go wrong with either. I would be tempted to buy both for the price. Also if you sign up to fatcheese.ie and shop on asos through that site you will get money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

I really like that dress OP but as was said it may possibly be a bit short- I suppose you could wear tights with it if you were stuck.

And definitely a cardigan or blazer over it. The cream version is nicest.

Caraville wrote: »
    I really like that dress OP but as was said it may possibly be a bit short- I suppose you could wear tights with it if you were stuck.

I understand where you are coming from, but the sizing information says that the neck to hem measurement is 36.5inches and the model is 5ft 10inches tall, being 5 feet tall this dress would come to just below my knee.

^^^ What I meant to say is that it depends on the height of the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

cofy wrote: »
    Caraville wrote: »

I understand where you are coming from, but the sizing information says that the neck to hem measurement is 36.5inches and the model is 5ft 10inches tall, being 5 feet tall this dress would come to just below my knee.
    Like I said earlier, I got this dress and it's a big fit and very long. I'm 5.3 and it was below my knee. I sent it back.
    Give yourself plenty time to send it back if it doesn't suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭yellowcrayon

The dress is lovely... The cream is nice and classy...
    And you could defo wear it loads afterwards in the summer as its so simple and versatile :)

Advertisement