Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camp fires

Options
  • 01-03-2012 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend places to camp that permit camp fires ? Seems to be against the rules in alot of places.

Thinking somewhere on the east coast, wicklow maybe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

i was thinking the same. if you go for a hike and get soaked a fire will lift your spirits and revitalise you, but it seems to be frowned upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Gaz wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend places to camp that permit camp fires ? Seems to be against the rules in alot of places.

Thinking somewhere on the east coast, wicklow maybe.

Legally, there is pretty much nowhere. If you don't care about that, find a spot of the beaten track and don't wreck it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Allround Predator

Donny5 wrote: »
    Legally, there is pretty much nowhere. If you don't care about that, find a spot of the beaten track and don't wreck it.

Glenmalure, not far from Roundwood Wicklow, there is a pub there, the guy that owns the pub will let you camp on his land, he will also let you have a camp fire, as long as you dont take the mick!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I was thinking of a smallish fire.

while on the subject are those light my fire firesticks easy to use? its something I bought but never used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Dr Expired

You cant beat a good campfire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭ClimberC

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I was thinking of a smallish fire.

while on the subject are those light my fire firesticks easy to use? its something I bought but never used.

Do you mean a magnesium stick?

I find it easier to use the back of my knife (fixed handle knife), as it gives off bigger chunks of the stuff. Its more of a hit and miss thing really, well at the start at least. Cotton wool covered in vasaleen burns nicely, look it up on youtube.....

fires are good to have, but they have a bad rep, and for good reason. A small one surrounded by stones, on the site of a prevous fire is OK in my eyes. What i hate is walking along and seeing a fire ring (for lack of a better term :rolleyes:) every 2 meters :mad:

Advertisement