Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo Threads- stealth way to advertise?

Options
  • 01-03-2012 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭

Just something I picked up on there today. Quite a few of the forums such as the regional fora have photo threads. Posters posted their own photo work up, lately due to the risks of image theft some of the more technical minded posters have included a copyright mark but today I noticed a poster had also included his photography website address were you can purchase his images. One of the forum mods had even thanked the poster so I know the forum mods have seen the images. Naturally I reported the post. Is this just a one off or have users seen the same in other photo threads?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Does that poster otherwise contribute to the forum in question?

If so, then I don't see this as a simple intentional to plug. If not, then I guess you could ask the question.

It's very common for people to use a website URL as a form of watermark these days anyway. It makes sense, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Dades wrote: »
    Does that poster otherwise contribute to the forum in question?

If so, then I don't see this as a simple intentional to plug. If not, then I guess you could ask the question.

It's very common for people to use a website URL as a form of watermark these days anyway. It makes sense, really.

3 posts in the forum, the last post has the added website Url.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Boards terms of use invalidate any implied copyright claimed in their photo.

Good point though, there is a mechanism for the mods to bring this to admin attention.
    "Posting purely to promote your product or service" is severely frowned upon here and normally results in the users access being removed from the site. :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The posts in question have now been deleted. Not sure why the OP did not simply PM the mods before starting this thread - we may well have acted on the reported post, but we did not get much chance as this thread was started before I'd even seen the reported post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Beasty wrote: »
    The posts in question have now been deleted. Not sure why the OP did not simply PM the mods before starting this thread - we may well have acted on the reported post, but we did not get much chance as this thread was started before I'd even seen the reported post

I did report it but I can't be expected to know when your online or not can I? Like people with emails some mods are quicker at responding to reported posts, your co-mod is quite good actually, in another forum I even received a thank you pm from a mod 10 mins after reporting a post. That actually made my day. Its nice to see appreciation.

On the question of pmming mods I sent a pm in Jan to mods and it took me a month and 5 mails(got a better response when I added a category mod to the pm mailing) to gain a simple answer so I am a tad dishearted at the moment with pmming mods. My thread is more to query and give a heads up to see if this is happening with other photo threads on boards. After all 800 + forums on boards and a good few of them have these type threads now. Or would you have rather I searched them myself and then brought them to the individual mods attention rather than starting this thread? If I han't started this thread where you intending to raise the issue I had raised in the mods forum or just delete the post and leave it at that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement