Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road markings in cork city

Options
  • 01-03-2012 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Does anyone know why they have burned off existing road markings and re-did them. They've basically realigned the road to include for what appears like cycle lanes but these appear & disappear out of nowhere.

Can anyone shed some light on this please???

They've actually reduced lane widths on roads where they were already quite narrow & removed turning left lanes which is going to cause traffic problems.

Should have spent the money repairing the road surfaces correctly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭max 73

Cycle lanes are only on one side of the road so does it mean cyclists can only cycle on this side & not on the other????

Our roads are not wide enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

eemm......where?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭max 73

Both the Douglas roads (main & south)

There are a few more that I spotted but can't remember where I was going that day ��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

max 73 wrote: »
    Both the Douglas roads (main & south)

There are a few more that I spotted but can't remember where I was going that day ��

Cycle lanes are an absolute mess in Cork - Does anyone actually use them? I only see people cycling on footpaths or roads, but never on cycle lanes (where they exist). Both of those roads are already too narrow. You can't even squeeze between traffic easily as it is when on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 corkipedia

Saw the ones on Douglas Road. They were still working on them around 8:45pm. Cycle lanes in Cork are fairly unique in that they start and end nowhere and eventually you will have to cycle on the footpath and/or road.Douglas Road is a bit of a squeeze as is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Model farm road, at the motor tax office and cit end have cycle lanes that appear (from nowhere) go onto the footpath, back onto the road then disappear again. It's ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I was wondering what the point of such a short cycle lane was on the Douglas Road. The road has a fair amount of commuting cyclists but there's only a few squeeze spots where there isn't an opportunity for motorists to get past. Now with the cycle lane there's bound to be more hold-ups or dangerous overtaking. :confused: It's a big fat one too, or at least it looks wider than normal :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

They've also decided to dangerously change the junction by Woodies at Kinsale Rd as part of this lark. There has been a cycle path for ages (used by no one that I can see) the whole length of the road on the footpath which joins the junction at Tramore Rd at the pedestrian crossing. They've now built a "spike" out from the footpath bringing the cycle path into the middle of the lanes at the junction. Now, this is already retarded enough, as it causes traffic jams as cars cannot filter into the left lane until they are nearly at the junction. What makes it beyond stupid is that a LOT of traffic approaching this junction from the roundabout turns left onto Tramore Rd - so now, all the traffic turning left (and there is plenty) must cross the cycle lane - surely this is incredibly dangerous?! Or would be if the cycle lane was actually used much....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Yeah that junction outside woodies is just very odd since they changed it. Not sure why but the whole thing just feels wrong to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

As both a car enthusiast & a cyclist I can understand why people don't use cycle lanes. They are not continuous (as mentioned above) & are rarely maintained. In fact lots of the are very uncomfortable or worse dangerous. Bits of glass, gravel & rubbish normally find their way in to them & never get cleaned up. Or the other hilarious one is where the drain holes are really badly set, ideal for a bicycle wheel to slot in to. A few other places then you places poles or kerbs appear at the end.
    Another really annoying thing is where they are put alongside a footpath like the straight road or Carrigalime to Crosshaven. People just randomly walk in cycle lanes & then get irate when you are cycling in the cycle lane :confused::confused::confused:

So all the effort on the two Douglas Roads is a waste of time & effort as there'll be no follow up. It will be interesting to see if they actually make room for cyclists approaching Douglas on main Douglas Road on the stretch from AIB to the roundabout at Douglas Court entrance. It's pretty dangerous at the moment.
    I wish there was someone in Cork city council that was capable of joined up thinking. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭seniorstaff

thats part of the new city to douglas cycle lane,it starts at the end of the south mall, they re aligned the lanes on anglesea st by the fire brigade and heres the best bit , theres a cycle lane outside the courthouse ,directly across from the fire station, it has TREES in it so any cyclist not watching where they are going will colllide with a tree
    What genius ENGINEER thought that one up i wonder??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rexsus

hey!

does anyone know of the next cycling lanes that are going to be done in cork - I know that the lower glanmire road is on the plan I just don't know when that is going to start

Alos in the plan is to extend a cycle lane from the old railway line from rochestown all the way into town (past parc ui caoimh, and marina onto albert quay) but again dont know when this is to begin

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deecee1

So I've just driven up douglas road from tesco to belair and all the road markings have been burnt off again including the new useless cycle lane, so the council have wasted more money. I wonder what markings they're going to replace them with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

deecee1 wrote: »
    So I've just driven up douglas road from tesco to belair and all the road markings have been burnt off again including the new useless cycle lane,

Spot the obvious conflict here.

BTW *All* the road marking have not been removed; neither has the new cycle lane been entirely removed - just the section Cross Douglas Road to Woolhara Park.

I suspect the new cycle lane has been made too wide and will be re-lined.
    I must say the new cycle lane makes it a pleasure to cycle even this short section to Douglas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Spot the obvious conflict here.

BTW *All* the road marking have not been removed; neither has the new cycle lane been entirely removed - just the section Cross Douglas Road to Woolhara Park.

I suspect the new cycle lane has been made too wide and will be re-lined.
    I must say the new cycle lane makes it a pleasure to cycle even this short section to Douglas.

No offense but I think he is spot on in what he is saying these cycle lanes have been proven to be more than useless! There is one coming up the Maryborough hill and the amount of times I've had to drive at 15km behind a cyclist not using the lane is beyond ridiculous, cyclists themselves have admitted due to roadside drains and other reasons they don't like cycling in them so I believe they are a waste of space/money and time putting them in!

Cyclists have always got by without them, narrowing the roads especially roads that narrow and widen randomly with a high volume of wide traffic Such as trucks and buses, is just a bad idea hopefully they have come to their senses!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deecee1

I didn't mean to imply that cycles lanes are useless but that particular one was as you said too wide and and was only on one side, it made the right side lane too narrow which in my opinion was a danger to cyclists as drivers were likely to get impatient and pass too close to cyclists.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    No offense but I think he is spot on in what he is saying these cycle lanes have been proven to be more than useless!

No offence taken - and none intended when I presume you're not a cyclist.

I can point to few useless cycle lanes too but many more are very useful indeed and promote safety. The short section on Douglas Road will prove to be one of the latter I believe.
    Cyclists have always got by without them, narrowing the roads especially roads that narrow and widen randomly with a high volume of wide traffic Such as trucks and buses, is just a bad idea hopefully they have come to their senses!

Why should cyclists have to "get by". (Please, please don't mention the mythical "road tax"). Cyclists are the more vulnerable road users. Drivers have been enjoying the benefits of 30 years of LUTS. High volumes of wide vehicles are exactly why cycle lanes and cycle-friendly routes are necessary.

More cycles means fewer cars. Remember that next time you're impatiently cursing a cyclist in Douglas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

All the foreigners and tourists just laugh at those stupid attempts to create cycle paths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

No offence taken - and none intended when I presume you're not a cyclist.

I guess you could say that I am a recreational cyclist not an a to b cyclist! :) so I'm just giving my opinion here.
    I can point to few useless cycle lanes too but many more are very useful indeed and promote safety. The short section on Douglas Road will prove to be one of the latter I believe.

Promoting safety is all well and good but the question I would have is the value of safety!

Take the Douglas road as an example, perfectly good road with a low fatality rate for cyclists changes to a narrower road that's safer for cyclists, two buses happen to pass each other in opposite directions on a particular narrow stretch they hit off one another, that's potentially a lot more injures then 1 cyclist! now that's unlikely to happen but then so is a car hitting a cyclist as things stand, Most drivers are not going out there to run cyclists over, I say most because some do unintentionally or otherwise.
    Why should cyclists have to "get by". (Please, please don't mention the mythical "road tax"). Cyclists are the more vulnerable road users. Drivers have been enjoying the benefits of 30 years of LUTS. High volumes of wide vehicles are exactly why cycle lanes and cycle-friendly routes are necessary.

More cycles means fewer cars. Remember that next time you're impatiently cursing a cyclist in Douglas.

I don't impatiently curse cyclists I just wish they would use the cycle lanes even if briefly to allow the traffic jam they are causing to get by, or even stop and pull in, why should their journey take precedence over the many cars behind them?

Again a hypothetical situation you are in a car with a family member going into labour trying to get to the hospital and you get stuck behind a cyclist! Who's journey is most important? Cyclists can not know the reason for every cars journey so they should by default not hold up traffic moreso with a cycle lane to their left unused. It's very unlikely a cyclist would be undertaking a journey that requires getting somewhere fast!

I guess you could say that I am a recreational cyclist not an a to b cyclist! so I'm just giving my opinion here.
    !

Not dismissing your opinion. Just correctly presuming it was based only a driver's perspective of cycle lanes.[/QUOTE]
    .... two buses happen to pass each other in opposite directions on a particular narrow stretch they hit off one another, that's potentially a lot more injures then 1 cyclist! now that's unlikely to happen but then so is a car hitting a cyclist as things stand,

This is a hoot! And the second time in the thread that dangerous driving is somehow blamed on the cycle lane. Maybe drivers could just hold back a little until overtaking is safe - like it says in Rules of the Road.
    (Actually I have a little more confidence in the ability of bus drivers)

The Rules of the Road doesn't take the importance of your hypothetical dash to the maternity ward into account either. Maybe it could be a tractor, or a hearse delaying your progress - or a school bus or even the on-coming traffic.
    All those bloody road users slowing your progress! Remember YOU are part of the traffic jam too.

• Advertisement

charlemont wrote: »
    All the foreigners and tourists just laugh at those stupid attempts to create cycle paths.

A great many things are organised better abroad but that's hardly a reason for throwing in the towel.
    We'll never have the cycling infrastructure of Holland or Denmark but we can learn from their experience. Inspiration not Resignation. Maybe we could strive to replicate Dublin's facilities for a start

BTW Better cycling facilities, rural and urban, will attract visitors to IRL

deecee1 wrote: »
    I didn't mean to imply that cycles lanes are useless but that particular one was as you said too wide and and was only on one side, it made the right side lane too narrow which in my opinion was a danger to cyclists as drivers were likely to get impatient and pass too close to cyclists.

I agree. Hopefully they'll get it right when it's re-lined - because that section of Douglas road is easily wide enough for one cycle lane, two vehicle lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

BTW Better cycling facilities, rural and urban, will attract visitors to IRL
    Maybe so but I would suggest that the useless waste of public money on pretend cycle lanes such as the rubbish on the Douglas Road is more likely to scare them away!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

We'll never have the cycling infrastructure of Holland or Denmark but we can learn from their experience.

It would be nice if we could bring in pro cycling laws like in the Netherlands which put the onus on motorists to be careful of those on bikes - in the case of an accident the law favours the cyclist, who is unprotected, over the driver in their metal cage.

Cycle lanes north of the river would be a start too, people do cycle there too, even though the City Council ignore them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dead duck

The Mark 3 road markings on the Douglas Road have moved from the Comic/farce stage to the deadly dangerous. South bound traffic at the lights at Johnson and Perrots meet traffic in the opposite direction eyeball to eyeball, with a sharp chicane about 10 meters from impact!! The person in charge of this whole project should be SACKED!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be very surprised if this cycle lane turns out to be anything other than a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

The markings going city-bound coming up to the Cross Douglas Road are strange. There is cross-hatching half a metre or so wide at the edge of the road with double yellow lines on the outside of them. I presume it's a bit of leeway for cars coming out of those houses so they can see what traffic's coming before pulling out. In which case cyclists should be outside them, but there's no cycle lane, so you end up close to the traffic either way. And in the wet those lines are slippy, wouldn't really want to cycle on them anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

The road markings on the Douglas road seem bizarre. Will the cycle lanes be painted in? It just seems so confusing at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭enas

Excuse me for resuscitating an old thread, but I couldn't help.
    two buses happen to pass each other in opposite directions on a particular narrow stretch they hit off one another, that's potentially a lot more injures then 1 cyclist

The buses don't move by themselves. They're driven by competent drivers. Who wouldn't pass each other if it's too narrow to do so safely (examples of such roads on bus routes abound in Cork).
    Most drivers are not going out there to run cyclists over, I say most because some do unintentionally or otherwise.

I would presume you're not cycling very often, if at all. Of course, drivers don't intentionally run cyclists over. And not that much unintentionally either. As it stands, cycling is a pretty safe activity. However, many many drivers, most out of ignorance, but a good few maliciously, would tend not to pass cyclists safely. And it is at the very least very unpleasant to be passed to closely when you cycle. Well designed cycle lanes increase the feeling of safety (subjective safety). If anything, it makes cycling more pleasant. It is official government policy to increase cycling numbers. And it is widely acknowledged that many people don't cycle cause it feels to them bloody scary to do so.
    why should their journey take precedence over the many cars behind them?

Why wouldn't it? The journey of the vehicle in front of you "takes precedence" over you, and yours over the guy behind you.
    or even stop and pull in

Next time you're holding me up on some street with your car (to cite just a very common example, in narrow streets where you have to keep on stopping to let cars pass in the other direction, when it would be wide enough for me to get by without stopping), would you please be obliged to stop and pull in? Thanks.
    Again a hypothetical situation you are in a car with a family member going into labour trying to get to the hospital and you get stuck behind a cyclist! Who's journey is most important?

This car's journey is more important that anyone else's I suppose? Then I suggest you systematically stop at green lights to let cars stopped at their red light, cause, you never know, there might be a woman into labour in it. I also thought of a hypothetical situation where you are in a car, you receive a phone call from you wife who tells you that her mother just told her that... Nah, forget about it.
    Cyclists can not know the reason for every cars journey

And vice-versa.
    It's very unlikely a cyclist would be undertaking a journey that requires getting somewhere fast!

Fact of life: a cyclist's journey is never important. Not as important as yours anyway.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to reply to this post. It was very entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

I am glad they are narowing the cyclelane on the south douglas road,then there might not be so many car's parked in them!!!!

Advertisement