Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I refrigerate canned cat food?

• 01-03-2012 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭

I used 400g tin of select gold for my cat bt gets used over maybe 2 days. I cover it with one of those lids u cn buy bt am not entirely sure it's keeping it fresh. My cat is getting loose stools once r twice a week which he didn't get on the pouches . Wondering if the tin is spoiling as sometimes it looks a bit funky on the bottom .when I used the 200 g tin he also didn't get loose stools bt it's just more economic to buy the bigger tin. 200g €1.59 400g €2.19 . :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

You can refrigerate it but a lot of cats prefer things at room temperature. The loose stools may mean the food is too rich for your cat. You could try changing brands or flavours and see if it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I was going to say exactly the same thing. I think the food doesn't agree with your kitty.

Cats hate anything too hot or too cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭ladyjuicy08

You can refrigerate it but a lot of cats prefer things at room temperature. The loose stools may mean the food is too rich for your cat. You could try changing brands or flavours and see if it helps.

He was fine on same food in smaller tin just started when I switched to the larger one I've not refrigerated it yet was just checking see if it was ok then I mite heat it a little I'm microwave so not too cold for him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I always store mine in the fridge, usually it's in there about 3 days occasionally 4. When I serve it out I mash in some water, I find she doesn't like the water piping hot but just at room temperature to bring the food up a little, that said she's no problems eating it cold out of the fridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Putting tinned pet food in the fridge is fine, just make sure you transfer it into a different container (like a sealed lunchbox or something) as it is not good to store food in cans once it has been opened. Personally, I wouldn't keep pet food for longer than a day (as in, use it today and store it for tomorrow but not past then). If it is looking/smelling a bit dodgy, chances are it is probably gone off and it could be giving your cat an upset stomach.

Have you considered trying your cat on a dry food mixed with the tinned? Dry food keeps for much longer than tinned, is better for the cat (teeth wise) and is really handy. If you chose a high quality, complete food you won't have to feed your cat very much and it would work out cheaper than feeding only tinned. If you mix a little tinned food in with the dry it will entice your cat to eat it and you will also be buying less tinned (and not having to store it in the fridge). Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭ladyjuicy08

Putting tinned pet food in the fridge is fine, just make sure you transfer it into a different container (like a sealed lunchbox or something) as it is not good to store food in cans once it has been opened. Personally, I wouldn't keep pet food for longer than a day (as in, use it today and store it for tomorrow but not past then). If it is looking/smelling a bit dodgy, chances are it is probably gone off and it could be giving your cat an upset stomach.

Have you considered trying your cat on a dry food mixed with the tinned? Dry food keeps for much longer than tinned, is better for the cat (teeth wise) and is really handy. If you chose a high quality, complete food you won't have to feed your cat very much and it would work out cheaper than feeding only tinned. If you mix a little tinned food in with the dry it will entice your cat to eat it and you will also be buying less tinned (and not having to store it in the fridge). Just a thought.
    I mix dry in with it that's why I am getting so long out of the tins but don't like to feed just dry as wet has higher moisture content

Advertisement