Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting with a bad shoulder

Options
  • 01-03-2012 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Just curious has anybody here bad shoulders and if so how does it effect your shooting? I dislocated my left shoulder playing rugby and was in a sling for d last few weeks so my shoulder and arm are very weak at the moment, but we were having trouble with foxes taking lambs so went out last nite and shot one, first time using a gun since it happened, i dry mounted my guns a few times b4 heading out, .22 was fine as it was light but still my arm got sore after a while, .223 is a lot heavier but still would back myself at a free hand shot if i needed but not a chance i'd be able to go hunting with the shotgun as i wasn't able to swing the gun properly, so i'm just curious to know if anyone ever had a similar problem and how long did it take you to get back shooting properly pain free, it was a nuissance last night trying to climb gates and going through ditches so i dont think i'll be doing much shooting for a while with the exception of our land, to keep the lambs safe,

Oh ya forgot to say i mount the gun on my right shoulder

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

ormondprop wrote: »
    Just curious has anybody here bad shoulders and if so how does it effect your shooting? I dislocated my left shoulder playing rugby and was in a sling for d last few weeks so my shoulder and arm are very weak at the moment, but we were having trouble with foxes taking lambs so went out last nite and shot one, first time using a gun since it happened, i dry mounted my guns a few times b4 heading out, .22 was fine as it was light but still my arm got sore after a while, .223 is a lot heavier but still would back myself at a free hand shot if i needed but not a chance i'd be able to go hunting with the shotgun as i wasn't able to swing the gun properly, so i'm just curious to know if anyone ever had a similar problem and how long did it take you to get back shooting properly pain free, it was a nuissance last night trying to climb gates and going through ditches so i dont think i'll be doing much shooting for a while with the exception of our land, to keep the lambs safe,

Oh ya forgot to say i mount the gun on my right shoulder

I have tendinitis in both shoulders, and I find that shooting clays actually helps it. It doesn't affect my rifle shooting at all.
    A friend of mine has fierce trouble with his right shoulder, and can't fire more than 5 or 6 shots in quick succession before he has to stop

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

I'm a lefty and dislocated my right shoulder twice (rugby and weightlifting) and last year i had the stabilisation surgery so there's no recoil hitting my bad shoulder. but i will say there is a bit of pain a day or 2 after a long day of supporting the shotgun up when shooting, im new to shooting so say this will only help the recovery of my shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

I'm hoping i'll never have to get the surgery done so i really looked after it when it happened and kept it in the sling for a good few weeks to get it all to tighten up, but because of that its very weak still and haven't full movement so not a chance i could shoot a flying bird, not yet anyway, thats why i'm curious when i will be able to, usually i havent time for shooting because of rugby and now that rugby is out the window for the season i still can't shoot and its killing me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

A couple of guys I shoot with use a PAST shoulder pad to lessen the effect of the gun's recoil. both have had serious shoulder problems in the last few years that do not seem to have gotten any better.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Prop, how long since you popped it out .... I've poped out both of mine a couple of time when I was playing.... time and physio... ligaments are streached and so you'll have to strenghten up the muscle's around it for extra support. time and more time not over doing it for a good while ... if it was a very bad dislocation you may need an operation :( but not by the sound of it . a padded shoulder may help, but I would say its the muscles tiring cause their trying to compensate for the weak ligaments.

Fish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Its over 7 weeks now since i did it so just out of the sling 3 weeks, padding would make no difference as it was my left shoulder i popped and i mount the gun on my right, my problem is holding up the forend of the gun with my left arm as its very weak and i haven't full movement in it, i've been to the physio and will be going for a good while longer, just curious how long it took other people to get back shootingafter similar injuries, was very annoying to have loads of free time on my hands due to being off work and not playing rugby and still not being able to shoot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

I seen some where ... there was a rifle rest which was attached to a belt and the idea was when the shot offered itself, you would rest the rifle on the rest and the rest came down and put the pressure on your hip therefore stabilizing your shot and taking the weight off your left...

can't remember where I seen it think it was a German site...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I would be careful, often with dislocated shoulders you can have small fractures of the "socket rim" , if these do not heal you can get chronic instability.
    Perhaps talk to your physio, probably will do no harm at this stage and may improve rehabilitation but talk to your physio first.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭iTom

I dislocated my right shoulder 27 times before I got surgery that was about 25 years ago and have two pins put in,and touch wood never had any problems since.If you do the right physio things should be good.
    I put a Kick Eeze recoil pad on my shot gun and it works fine for me.

Advertisement