Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best pet shops in Dublin?

• 01-03-2012 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

I'm looking to get an apartment pet - not something water-based, but along the lines of a rodent, rabbit or ferret.

Most shops I've been in tend towards fish or reptiles, as well as pet supplies.

I want to see the animals in person to gauge size, etc. and to talk to the staff because I'm not sure exactly what I want yet.

Does anybody know any pet shops in Dublin, or near Dublin, that have a wide selection of these kinds of pets? :)

Comments

I would say ferret , if you can get past the smell. You wont find them in a petshop though .

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Meller

I would say ferret , if you can get past the smell. You wont find them in a petshop though .

I've done lots of research into different pets, I just want to see them in person before I decide.

Where can ferrets be found if not in a pet shop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Perhaps go to a rescue or try a responsible breeder, many pet shops haven't a clue and can't offer proper advice (odd exceptions I'm sure..).

What about a pair of bonded guinea pigs? They do come in to rescues or pm me if you want the name of responsible breeders.

Perhaps go to a rescue or try a responsible breeder, many pet shops haven't a clue and can't offer proper advice (odd exceptions I'm sure..).

What about a pair of bonded guinea pigs? They do come in to rescues or pm me if you want the name of responsible breeders.

I don't know what sort of rescues are around for these kinds of pets; I know the DSPCA don't tend to have smaller animals. Can anybody help?

I know that many pet shops sell the likes of rabbits and rodents though; has anybody any suggestions?

Unfortunately I don't have the space for two guinea pigs. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The DSPCA do get small animals in and they get rabbits in. If you don't have the space for 2 guinea pigs then you wouldn't have the space for a rabbit (should be kept in bonded pairs as well) as they require more space generally than guineas who also need space but tend to slob around and stuff their faces more. There are other rescues if you check our irishanimals.ie there are lists of rescues, some rescues will rehome outside of their county.

Or just put up an home offered post on boards perhaps.

Or if you wait a few months rabbits are sadly given as pets over easter and then unwanted a few months later or are sold by pet shops already pregnant so people and lumbered with bunny babies. (Another reason not to buy from a shop).

• Advertisement

The DSPCA do get small animals in and they get rabbits in. If you don't have the space for 2 guinea pigs then you wouldn't have the space for a rabbit (should be kept in bonded pairs as well) as they require more space generally than guineas who also need space but tend to slob around and stuff their faces more. There are other rescues if you check our irishanimals.ie there are lists of rescues, some rescues will rehome outside of their county.

Or just put up an home offered post on boards perhaps.

Or if you wait a few months rabbits are sadly given as pets over easter and then unwanted a few months later or are sold by pet shops already pregnant so people and lumbered with bunny babies. (Another reason not to buy from a shop).

I used to volunteer at the DSPCA and never saw any small animal other than rabbits there, might've seen a guinea pig? I will give them a call to check in case, but it's not really ideal for what I'm looking for.

From what I've read, if you have enough time to give rabbits, they can cope very well with just human companions. My friend has a single bunny (who is very small, about the size of a large guinea pig) in a busy house and she's very happy and healthy. Don't have room for a hutch to house two guinea pigs. :(

That's true, it would be nice to rescue a rabbit from that but I don't know if there's much point holding out indefinitely for something that may or may not happen...

Does anybody know any rescues/pet shops in the Dublin area that usually have these kinds of smaller animals? :) I want as many suggestions as possible so I can check them out, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I think Kinsealy Pet Store do small animals, I know I've seen rabbits, chinchillas etc there before. Maybe give them a ring. Even if they don't have them they might know where you could get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BG2

Meller wrote: »
    I'm looking to get an apartment pet - not something water-based, but along the lines of a rodent, rabbit or ferret.

Most shops I've been in tend towards fish or reptiles, as well as pet supplies.

I want to see the animals in person to gauge size, etc. and to talk to the staff because I'm not sure exactly what I want yet.

Does anybody know any pet shops in Dublin, or near Dublin, that have a wide selection of these kinds of pets? :)

Well all the Dublin pet shops have small animals that you can look at. The best places for advice about them in my experience would be Boardwalk Pets (they don't usually have many on display but are knowledgeable) and Baumanns at Stilorgan. I am thinking of a certain pet shop (maybe a Mod can let me know if I can type the name) in Dublin where I have adopted ill hamsters from on several occasions. The same pet shop let's dwarf hamsters be adopted together without checking their gender first.

So for a good display of small animals and advice about keeping them I would go out to Stilorgan or Swords.

If you would like to chat further about adopting hamsters or gerbils send me a pm as I love the critters! Also, I actually know of a family of hamsters are the moment looking for homes. A woman took them to the vet to be put down as she didn't want them anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Having kept all manner of small furries a Rat would always be the winner - by a mile :D

They are way more intelligent & interactive. They are also about the only small animal that has never bitten me !

There must be someone locally who can supply a young Rat. Ask here:

http://irishrat.proboards.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Discodog wrote: »

There must be someone locally who can supply a young Rat. Ask here:

There's only one reputable rat breeder in the country and they are located in Cork. You won't find any of their stock in any pet-shops OP.

If you are looking to get hands on with some smallies to help you decide why not try visiting a petting zoo or pet's corner at Dublin zoo. You'll get decent advice that why from people who won't be giving you a 'sales pitch'.

• Advertisement

I never see rats in petshops either. I do know of 2 pet rats needing homes. Not my thing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

I second the rats idea. I had two that were brilliant fun.

They are rare enough in shops but someone should have some. You'll find lots of healthy ones around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

There's a new pet shop at the bottom of Capel st called Shauna's. The staff are very helpful and they have a variety of furry animals upstairs and a bigger range of reptiles downstairs. Don't know for certain what they stock, but have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 player101

id second alicat, kinseally petshop is really good, and the guys in there really know what they are talking about

Advertisement