Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone breed their own tropical fish?

Options
  • 01-03-2012 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

does anyone breed there own tropical fish for a hobby on here ? id love to really get in to it
    j

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

dont specifically 'breed' but if you keep healthy fish they do the breeding all by themselves :p

Id consider doing it in a more businesslike fashion if there was a customer base to sell to

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hatgirl

My White Cloud Mountain Minnows spawned the other day, and now I have little baby fishies swimming about the tank :D This is my first batch of WCMM fry as previously my weather loach would eat the eggs. So yeah, if they are in the right conditions and there is nothing that will eat the eggs living with them, the trick is sometimes getting them to stop breeding before you run out of room :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mutznutz

guppies breed like wildfire and are beautiful to look at .. there the perfect way to strt breeding.. there cheap and you dont need a huge tank set up... the right live plants a few males and females and away you go ... make sure you get the females most pet shops wont sell them cos there not as nice as the males and to stop people breeding .. but your smaller local shops will get them in for you on deposit.:D:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Hatgirl wrote: »
    My White Cloud Mountain Minnows spawned the other day, and now I have little baby fishies swimming about the tank :D This is my first batch of WCMM fry as previously my weather loach would eat the eggs. So yeah, if they are in the right conditions and there is nothing that will eat the eggs living with them, the trick is sometimes getting them to stop breeding before you run out of room :eek:

I would love if my WCMM spawned but I have loaches too, no hope then? Never noticed eggs, did they need anything particular to lay them?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hatgirl

I would love if my WCMM spawned but I have loaches too, no hope then? Never noticed eggs, did they need anything particular to lay them?

The loaches will gobble up the eggs so fast, you'll never even notice they spawned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

what do you do when you have all these babies in your tank??

say if you have a 100liter tank with some guppies or tetras or whatever breed of fish. you dont intend to breed and the breed anyways,now you have a lot of babies swimming around your tank. do you just let the adults eat them and forget about trying to look after the babies. or do you have to go out and buy a whole new tank heater ect and put the babies into that tank to grow them into adults??

then what happens when you end up with 20 - 60 adult fish in this 100 liter tank,theres too many fish,what do you do with them??

you could ask a friend if he wants a 4 or 5 but what if nobody wants to take them off you, what do you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

CyberJuice wrote: »
    what do you do when you have all these babies in your tank??

say if you have a 100liter tank with some guppies or tetras or whatever breed of fish. you dont intend to breed and the breed anyways,now you have a lot of babies swimming around your tank. do you just let the adults eat them and forget about trying to look after the babies. or do you have to go out and buy a whole new tank heater ect and put the babies into that tank to grow them into adults??

then what happens when you end up with 20 - 60 adult fish in this 100 liter tank,theres too many fish,what do you do with them??

you could ask a friend if he wants a 4 or 5 but what if nobody wants to take them off you, what do you do?

This is where a relationship is a speciality pet shop is vital. Where i get my fish, i could bring in fish and they would take them from me no problem. Wont get much for them (if anything) but at least you have had the challenge of breeding and the fish dont have to be culled as you have no room

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Anybody klnow anything about the breeding behaviour of oscars?

I have two that seem to be forever 'kissing' each other and scooping out sections of stones from the bottom of the tank.

I've never actually seen eggs though and i have a large ominverous pleco in the tank too.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Peteemax

I have fry from the following fish at the moment.

Trophues
    Bemba
    Ikola
    Duboisi
    Sanogo's

Enantiopus melanogenys Kilesa

Black Calvus

Neolamprologus Similis

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Peteemax wrote: »

Trophues
    Bemba
    Ikola
    Duboisi
    Sanogo's

Black Calvus

Neolamprologus Similis

What are you going to do with you Bemba? I might be interested in them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Trophues
    Bemba
    Ikola
    Duboisi
    Sanogo's

Black Calvus

Neolamprologus Similis

I'd be interested in the Calvus if you were looking to sell.

godtabh wrote: »
    What are you going to do with you Bemba? I might be interested in them

My next group of bemba fry are already on hold but if anyting changes i will let you know.

I'd be interested in the Calvus if you were looking to sell.

Calvus fry are close to 1 cm in lenght but it will be awhile befor they are ready to go as they are very slow growers.
    Both yourself and Godtabh are more than welcome if you would like to pop out and see the fish and fish house.

Pete

Degsy wrote: »
    Anybody klnow anything about the breeding behaviour of oscars?

I have two that seem to be forever 'kissing' each other and scooping out sections of stones from the bottom of the tank.

I've never actually seen eggs though and i have a large ominverous pleco in the tank too.

Sounds like breeding behaviour Degsy. Lip locking and moving the substrate are typical breeding traits.

Calvus fry are close to 1 cm in lenght but it will be awhile befor they are ready to go as they are very slow growers.
    Both yourself and Godtabh are more than welcome if you would like to pop out and see the fish and fish house.

Pete

I'd love to Pete, give me a shout when they're big enough. Cheers :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I might take yo up on that Peteemax but with a heavily pregnant wife its hard to plan anything these days!

Where are you based?

godtabh wrote: »
    I might take yo up on that Peteemax but with a heavily pregnant wife its hard to plan anything these days!

Where are you based?

Pm sent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Sounds like breeding behaviour Degsy. Lip locking and moving the substrate are typical breeding traits.

Thats what i thought..no sign of babbies yet though.

Advertisement