Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting caulking over silicone sealent??

• 01-03-2012 7:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Can you apply caulking on over silicone sealent?

I thought this was caulking,but when I painted over it,I discovered that it is silicone sealent,and the paint isnt sticking to it.:(

So can I apply some caulking directly over the silicone sealent to paint it,or is it a case of taking off the kitchen plinth and scraping off all the silicone sealent??

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I'd scape it off and re caulk it. Most diy stores will do somthing to disolve silicone, but it's probably not even needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Don't waste your money buying silicone remover. It's completly useless. Cut it off with a stanley knife and scrape anything else left over with a chisel and caulk the area.

Did you notice the smell coming from the silicone when applying it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

You could also put some oil paint on top of the silicone like undercoat, it will stick to it then when dry you can put the emulsion on top.

You'd be better off using a very small brush like a fitch or artists brush tho because that red will be hard to cover white oil paint so the less oil paint you get on the wall the better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Don't waste your money buying silicone remover. It's completly useless. Cut it off with a stanley knife and scrape anything else left over with a chisel and caulk the area.

Did you notice the smell coming from the silicone when applying it?

I didnt apply the silicone sealent.

The silicone sealent was allready there,theres a very small gap between the kitchen unit and the wall,so the carpenter who installed the kitchen,cut a small strip of wood and screwed it into the kitchen unit,but then he obviously applied some silicone sealent to seal it up to the wall.

I thought it was caulking,but I only realised this today,when the red paint would not adhere to the silicone sealent.

Advertisement