Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coolant Leak advice

• 01-03-2012 8:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭

I have a puddle of coolant under my 02 almera, what should I do?
    The puddle is underneath the engine on the same side as the coolant tank (expansion tank?) near the alternator. There doesn't seem to be any liquid under the radiator. I put some sealant in a couple of months ago when I was losing coolant but couldn't work out where it was coming from. Does the general location of the leak give any clues?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Water pump perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

+1 Water Pump.. Does the car sound in any way "rattly"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

coco_lola wrote: »
    +1 Water Pump.. Does the car sound in any way "rattly"?

Can't say I've noticed any rattliness.
    Is a water pump an expensive item to replace?

check_six wrote: »
    Can't say I've noticed any rattliness.
    Is a water pump an expensive item to replace?

Not too bad. Depends on where you go. I had to replace mine only last week. Went to mechanic who was ordering main Ford Parts, tried to charge me 250-300 incl labour and parts I think. Went to a Polish Mechanic who had a fantastic set-up, shipped the parts from Poland (which AFAIK is where they make most of the parts for dealers anyway, they are just as good), and it cost me €75 incl. labour.

Where are you based OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I'm based in Dublin

• Advertisement

............... Went to a Polish Mechanic who had a fantastic set-up, shipped the parts from Poland (which AFAIK is where they make most of the parts for dealers anyway, they are just as good), and it cost me €75 incl. labour.

Unreal, once he has his VAT, PAYE, PRSI etc paid he wouldn't be left with much out of that job.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Unreal, once he has his VAT, PAYE, PRSI etc paid he wouldn't be left with much out of that job.

Not sure if he pays those, nor am I bothered really as long as my car is looked after (which it is), everything seems legit anyway, I got a receipt from him. That's a guesstimation though cause I got a good few bits done, the labour cost more but I divided it up as an example to the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Not too bad. Depends on where you go. I had to replace mine only last week. Went to mechanic who was ordering main Ford Parts, tried to charge me 250-300 incl labour and parts I think. Went to a Polish Mechanic who had a fantastic set-up, shipped the parts from Poland (which AFAIK is where they make most of the parts for dealers anyway, they are just as good), and it cost me €75 incl. labour.

Where are you based OP?

What car was it?

03 Fiesta - I don't want to hog the OPs thread, as I said in my previous post I divided it up cause I got a good few bits done to the car, it was in a pretty bad way when I got it, fan belt, fan belt rolls, exhaust etc needed to be done. The pump itself cost €45 online from Poland I think.

03 Fiesta - I don't want to hog the OPs thread, as I said in my previous post I divided it up cause I got a good few bits done to the car, it was in a pretty bad way when I got it, fan belt, fan belt rolls, exhaust etc needed to be done. The pump itself cost €45 online from Poland I think.

Here it is : your waterpump

40zł = less then €10.

Considering in that engine water pump is not powered by timing belt, but just by alternator belt, this can be like 30 minuts job really to change it.

€70 quid seems to be very fair price, even if it includes taxes, pump, shipment, etc.

PS - I'm curious how much for a such pump in Ireland?

• Advertisement

CiniO wrote: »
    Here it is : your waterpump

40zł = less then €10.

Considering in that engine water pump is not powered by timing belt, but just by alternator belt, this can be like 30 minuts job really to change it.

€70 quid seems to be very fair price, even if it includes taxes, pump, shipment, etc.

PS - I'm curious how much for a such pump in Ireland?

I thought so too - he was very thorough, and did a free check up for me on the car too, I got the car for a steal because the fan belt and fan belt roll needed doing too, but he checked the whole car for free. Only thing is his English is limited so my Polish friend came out with me to translate :p

Here is a link from Mick's Garage
    http://www.micksgarage.ie/engine-parts/water-pumps/ford/fiesta/fiesta-v/2001-onwards/1.3/16337/

Apparently these parts are made in Poland, dealers slap a "Ford" label on them and charge way more than that for them!

.............. The pump itself cost €45 online from Poland I think.

Here is a link from Mick's Garage
    http://www.micksgarage.ie/engine-parts/water-pumps/ford/fiesta/fiesta-v/2001-onwards/1.3/16337/

Apparently these parts are made in Poland, dealers slap a "Ford" label on them and charge way more than that for them!

Here's a QH one from Mick's Garage for €50 :)
    Not made in Poland btw.

Here's a QH one from Mick's Garage for €50 :)
    Not made in Poland btw.

Not sure about Mick's Garage parts, but I mean the main dealer parts.

Not sure about Mick's Garage parts, but I mean the main dealer parts.

I really doubt that Ford dealers are selling relabelled Polish spurious made parts as OE Ford.

I really doubt that Ford dealers are selling relabelled Polish spurious made parts as OE Ford.

Me either.
    Both this one I was showed in the link, and those from mick's garage are not genuine ford parts.

But simple example. Few years ago I was looking for a wishbone for fiat bravo.
    Fiat main dealer in Claremorris - €140 - genuine fiat part.
    Motor factors somewhere in Westport - €90 - unknown brand
    Motor factors in Poland - €20 - Birth - italian brand.

As probably genuine fiat part would be better quality, I assume last two are comparable, even though price differs over 4 times.

CiniO wrote: »
    Motor factors somewhere in Westport - €90 - unknown brand
    Motor factors in Poland - €20 - Birth - italian brand.

As probably genuine fiat part would be better quality, I assume last two are comparable, even though price differs over 4 times.

Dunno tbh, when I worked in a motor factors lots of stuff was utter sh1t and other stuff was very good, price wasn't a good guide at times :)

I only showed the QH water pump from Mick's garage for €50 as the €45 one from Poland was given as a much better option than the more expensive one from Mick's Garage :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

Most car parts are much more expensive in Ireland than Poland. One simple example is car bulb h1 - cheapest in Poland will cost you about 1 euro. here about 5 euro and cheapest in haldfords about 9 euro per one bulb.
    btw in halfords h1 bulb from cars section is 9 euro, exactly the same one from motorbikes section is 7 euro........ and the only difference is packaging.

Advertisement