Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery and charger?

Options
  • 01-03-2012 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭

Hello lads,
    Just wondering can some one give me a link for a battery and a charger for a Radian model plane. Its a 3 cell lipo battery I think.
    cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Miamiheat

Just received a Radian and it carries an Overlander 1300mah 11.1v 3S battery.
    Charger that came with it is a PARKZONE LP2000-3
    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I have it but it dosent work:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Plug

The standard Parkzone charger is adequate (barely:rolleyes:) but a decent charger will not only charge and balance your batteries far better but will also let you know via its lcd display if there is a problem with the battery, i.e. weak or dead cell or battery not balancing properly.

The following is some advice I gave Miamiheat on chargers in another thread:

"The Rad has the standard Parkzone car charger which does the job but if you plan on staying in this hobby, money spent on a decent charger would be money well spent as a good charger will extend the life of your batteries by ensuring that they are well balanced each time you charge them. It can also show you if there is a problem with a battery, i.e. if it has a weak cell that isn't charging properly. Its better to find that out on the ground than in the air, i.e. you don't want to suddenly lose power to your motor and possibly to the receiver as well.

Anyways, to answer your question, the cheap answer is to use one of these with your Parkzone car charger:-
    http://rcpitstop.co.uk/hobbyzone-15a...4uk-1449-p.asp
    Its out of stock there but I just happen to have one that I never use. I got it with my second plane, the Supercub, many moons ago and its never been used. You just plug the Parkzone charger you now have into it and then plug it into any wall socket and hey presto, you can charge your battery at home. You can have it for a tenner if you want (cheaper than buying it online).

However I'd recommend you invest in a decent charger. This is the one I have which was recommended by a guy I know who's been flying rc planes for over 20 years and he swears by this charger:
    http://http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-P.../dp/B004H0YBPY

Finally, you'll also need one of these leads to connect your battery to the charger above:
    http://http://www.modelmaniacsonline...&ManCode=EC312

Option 1 above is the cheapest and quickest way to get you airborne but option 2, while more expense, is the better long term solution. Its up to you which way you go.

Last piece of advice on lipo batteries - they are bloody dangerous!!! if charged incorrectly. That little green battery in your hand is like a mini incendiary device. It can suddenly burst into flames and produce acrid, toxic smoke if it is not charged properly (don't believe me?, then check out some youtube vids on "lipo fires"). Always keep an eye on your batteries when charging. Never leave them unattended. Try to charge them on a surface that could survive the battery bursting into flames like a stone floor, a hearth, oven dish etc. I've never had a battery go up on me before but a guy I know has and it caused serious fire damage to his home and he got first degree burns throwing the flaming battery out of the window.

There is a little dial on your Parkzone charger. Set it to '1' which will be a safe charging rate. It'll take about an hour to charge your battery to full. I'd also advise that if you do charge the battery in your car, don't leave it unattended or you might need a new car.

Finally, lipos don't like being charged quickly. An hour is the standard charge time if you want to make your battery last, and of course, not to burst into flames! You're lucky that you picked the Radian as your first plane as she can fly from 20 to 60 minutes on the one battery. All other planes only last about 10 minutes on a battery.

Hope I haven't frightened you. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Plug wrote: »
    Hello lads,
    Just wondering can some one give me a link for a battery and a charger for a Radian model plane. Its a 3 cell lipo battery I think.
    cheers.

I just posted this in the other thread,..

Cant open Dave`s links for some reason, but here are other options too.

I have this one as my second charger, the primary one being a thunder power 1010c. The 1010c was 200 dollars and the cell balancer was then seperate, but it is great, especially for over discharged cells and larger batteries such as the heli batteries i use at times.

But the accucel is only 22 dollars. And about 10 for a power supply, linked below.

The accucel one i find as good as any charger i have used without any doubt. Good enough for anyone charging with up to 50 watts, or a 3 cell 4000mah in an hour, or 6 cell 2000mah in an hour etc.

Ive charged rechargeable AA batteries and all with it.

And a power supply for it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Thanks Dave and Robbie for the help. Dave you have a PM.
    Looks like I'll go for that accucel charger, can you recommend me a battery as well for it on the same site. And they are ok to use with the Radian?
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Plug

I'll respond to your pm shortly.

The Rad can take any 3 cell battery up to 2200mah. Depending on how much you use the motor will dictate which battery you should buy. I still mainly use the stock 1300mah battery in my Rad but I climb her up high in one long burst and thus don't have the motor running for five or six climbs back to altitude. I've flown the Rad for an hour using the supplied 1300mah battery. A bigger battery will give you a bigger "fuel tank" but you also have to take the extra weight of this battery into account. A bigger battery is a help when flying in windy conditions though as it'll give the Rad some punch into the wind.

Have a look at Hobbykings site and check out the battery section. You should look at the nanotech batteries as I've found that while they're a bit more expensive, they give more power and longevity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The extra weight of the battery in the radian has no negatives in my opinion. It flies better with it with the CG moved slightly forward.

A 6 or 7% increase in overall weight and 70% increase in mah capacity.

They are some glider for the thermals with the 1300mah battery though. But even with the 2200mah battery and all the FPV gear, we have climed hundreds of meters on thermals alone, which just shows what its like at its minimum weight with the 1300mah battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

I would also recommend the accucel-6.Robbie recommended to my as a replaced for the parkzone one and have never at a problem with it.I also got this lead as it as a connector for nearly every type of battery.

Advertisement