Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9 day old boy consuming 130-150 ml of milk per feed

Options
  • 01-03-2012 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking to compare with other folk.

Is this amount a lot for a 9 day old boy?

He likes his sleep and likes his food and gets very cranky when he wakes up when all he wants his food.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

Hi, every baby is different. How often does he eat, what weight he is. If he is happy to eat that much that means he needs it. If he has loads of wet nappies and looks content after feed I would say its all good.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi, every baby is different. How often does he eat, what weight he is. If he is happy to eat that much that means he needs it. If he has loads of wet nappies and looks content after feed I would say its all good.:)

Thanks.

He probably eats 5 times a day (maybe 6). He was 9 13 when born 9 days go and he's probably around the same now. Loads of wet nappies and he's very happy after feeds. It's jst that 130-150ml seems a lot to me.

Would love to hear from other parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Moved to Newborn and Toddlers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

New Daddy wrote: »

Thanks.

He probably eats 5 times a day (maybe 6). He was 9 13 when born 9 days go and he's probably around the same now. Loads of wet nappies and he's very happy after feeds. It's jst that 130-150ml seems a lot to me.

I have a 2 wk old girl and was advised at this stage they should be feeding 7-8 times a day, I wake my little one every 2&1/2 hrs during day and feed on demand ( no longer than every 4 hrs) during the night.
    She has about 7-8 wet nappies a day which I think is right. She became constipated as we were not feeding her enough the first week and I was on iron tabletS!
    Hope that helps - although I'm breast feeding so I think breastmilk is digested faster than formula which can mean more regular feeding req'd,
    Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Thanks.

TBH, sounds pretty normal . How long are the feeds lasting ? ...... I remember with no 1 Daughter she put on ' too much ' weight , it was because we were basically trying to get all her feeds into her and feeding too long. Quote from the Dr at the time ..... after 30 mins she has had as much as she needs !

Good luck with your son !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I fed on demand so feeds were smaller but there were a lot more of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 frankie1

I know all babies vary and he was a good birth weight. It does seem like a lot per feed and i would be wary of him getting colicky further down the road. My 3 1/2 month old daughter takes 180 ml (6oz) 5times day/night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

If you check the side of the formula box it gives you approximate amounts. Going by age it would by 6 x 90ml feeds by weight it would be between 5x 120 or 150 mls per day.. give or take an ounce or 2 i'd say you're probably spot on, once he's content and sleeping.

Every baby is different. With my lad when we weaned him at 8 weeks we started him on the aptamil stage 1, by the time he was on bottles full time(aged 10 weeks) we had to start him on the stage 2 hungry milk at night, we then had to put him on it full time cos he was drinking 7 x 7oz (210mls) bottles during the day and still waking at night hungry. Once he went on the hungry milk he settled at 6 x 5oz (150mls). At 19 weeks we put him on solids which he LOVES and one week on he's on 3 small spoon feeds and 5 x 6oz bottles. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Our's is nearly 4 months and has been a sturdy 'un from the day he was born (8lb 10oz). He's ramped up to eating what your boy eats now.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

What makes you think all he wants is food? It's a baby's natural instinct to nurse for comfort and reassurance, but not on a plastic bottle filled with formula. There's a lot more to comforting a 9 day old baby than filling them with 'milk'.

Our lad regularly woke to nurse, but not for food. Luckily my wife breastfed, so he would latch on....ten seconds later he was back asleep. It was comfort he needed in this strange, scary world, not food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

While I don't agree with Jgiles tone, he could be a bit right. It does seem like a lot for a 9 day old baby and while everyone can say that you know your baby best, you're only learning, just like your little one is. If you're ok with a soother, give him that after a half/three quaters feed and cuddle him close. If he's not happy and still seems hungry then you've been doing it right all along. Good luck!

--edit -> if you're not happy with a soother, use a clean pinkie tip. Sometimes all they want is to be sucking something. I learned the same with my little one though it took me weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jenniflower87

It sounds like he's eating more but waiting his 4 hours for his feeds. I think once he is content and loads of wet nappies then this way of feeding seems to be suiting him. Its all very scary but your doing a great job for your new wonderful son! Congratulations :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Lola18

Personally I think thats perfectly ok. My little fella was 9"6. When born and from day2 he drained his 90mls by the end of his first week I was making 150ml bottles and he was only leaving 10-20 ml and now and then draining it!
    I thought it seemed like a lot at first but after talking to others realised it wasn't so unusual. He's a bigger than average baby so he might need bigger than average foods.

Advertisement