Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Older cat with cateracts

• 01-03-2012 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if someone can advise me. My mam's cat is 16 & she suspects she has cateracts & it is now affecting her sight. Just wondering if it is cateracts & if she brings her to the vet will there be anything the vet can do for the cat given her age? Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

treascon wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering if someone can advise me. My mam's cat is 16 & she suspects she has cateracts & it is now affecting her sight. Just wondering if it is cateracts & if she brings her to the vet will there be anything the vet can do for the cat given her age? Thanks for any advice!

I don't know anything about cat cataracts but one of my dogs has had both her eyes done in the last four months. If your vet thinks removal is a runner the cost is considerable. I think there are only 2 Eyevets in Ireland and the operation is sooooo expensive €2500 (which includes pre tests etc) for first eye and €1800 (no pre tests needed) for second eye and that doesn't include all the after care visits! I know a lot of people are against removal of cataracts as it is not without its risks as I have seen dogs in eye vets waiting room that had to have eye removed!

Advertisement