Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny Football

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Green Brigade

I know it is frowned upon to mention other sports other than hurling but **** me Gaelic Football is in cardiac arrest.

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/sport/soccer/louth_lashing_leaves_football_under_spotlight_again_1_3579602

Louth lashing leaves football under spotlight again

<Seán Sherlock says no>

I hate football but you'd have to feel for these chaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

The seniors get thrashed everytime they play and it's been like for years. The manager was interviewed last year and he said they traveled to play a game one Sunday with 14 players and they had to get the bus driver to make up a full team.

It's something you'd expect from a Junior B club team but to see GAA money been wasted on a senior football team like Kilkenny is very wasteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Most lads are only playing for the free gear tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

wrmwit wrote: »
    The seniors get thrashed everytime they play and it's been like for years. The manager was interviewed last year and he said they traveled to play a game one Sunday with 14 players and they had to get the bus driver to make up a full team.

It's something you'd expect from a Junior B club team but to see GAA money been wasted on a senior football team like Kilkenny is very wasteful.

How much of the GAA money goes to football? I would hazard a guess and say it's not a fifty/fifty split, or anywhere near. Lip service is all the Kilkenny GAA appear to pay to football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Football in Kilkenny is a disgrace. I moved here about 8 years ago from a football-rich county in love with the game. I played until my first season at minor in Kilkenny and I lost complete interest, because there was no interest in the game from any manager. When my club was knocked out of the minor championship that year, the chat at the end was "Right lads, hurling training next week". Needless to say I ignored any phone calls asking to come back the next year. Awful attitude.

There's a lot of talented footballers in the county that would rather play Junior B hurling, it's as simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

+1 used to be involved in the underage teams, was a ****ing disgrace the selling point was they'd feed you.

Absoloute joke is what football is in kilkenny. They don't train underage teams yet they expect the adults to want to come out and play?? piss off

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I don't get the whole high moral ground I read about re football in KK. It's almost as if we should be so guilty for not playing it. To my mind this attidude comes down to unbridled jealousy re KK's mega success in Senior Hurling. The line goes like this "ah, ya's are only good at hurling 'cos ya's play no football". What horseh!te!! Counties like Leitrim et al are as rubbish at hurling as we are at gaelic but yet they are "encouraged" to play hurling. KK just get criticised for being crap and making no effort! Are people that jealous of our success and fair county ;)

mfitzy wrote: »
    I don't get the whole high moral ground I read about re football in KK. It's almost as if we should be so guilty for not playing it. To my mind this attidude comes down to unbridled jealousy re KK's mega success in Senior Hurling. The line goes like this "ah, ya's are only good at hurling 'cos ya's play no football". What horseh!te!! Counties like Leitrim et al are as rubbish at hurling as we are at gaelic but yet they are "encouraged" to play hurling. KK just get criticised for being crap and making no effort! Are people that jealous of our success and fair county ;)
    not at all, my problem with it is I'm a footballer, not a hurler, the county only helps the hurlers, footballers are just swept under the rug, its basically lads go out there now, take yer hiding and lets get back to hurling.

Could you imagine the uproar if the hurling team were just thrown into a match without any training. The hurling success is at the expense of the football programme(if you can call it that)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Arawn wrote: »
    not at all, my problem with it is I'm a footballer, not a hurler, the county only helps the hurlers, footballers are just swept under the rug, its basically lads go out there now, take yer hiding and lets get back to hurling.

Could you imagine the uproar if the hurling team were just thrown into a match without any training. The hurling success is at the expense of the football programme(if you can call it that)[

It's not though. It's a sport for enjoyment. If people aren't interested in playing and enjoying football that's their own perogative at the end of the day.
    Do you hear people go around saying football success in Kerry is at the expense of hurling? I doubt it, I never have anyhow. So why is KK singled out in this regard?

Could you imagine the uproar if the hurling team were just thrown into a match without any training. The hurling success is at the expense of the football programme(if you can call it that)[

It's not though. It's a sport for enjoyment. If people aren't interested in playing and enjoying football that's their own perogative at the end of the day.
    Do you hear people go around saying football success in Kerry is at the expense of hurling? I doubt it, I never have anyhow. So why is KK singled out in this regard?
    Do you think anyone enjoys going out and getting hammered?? the team is the country's whipping boys, why would anyone enjoy that. Everyone who plays wants to win at that age group. Aye i have actually

• Advertisement

The thing is, though, Leitrim are genuinely crap at both football and hurling. Kilkenny are fantastic at hurling and, having gone through the system myself, genuinely don't give a crap about football.

Much wouldn't be said if Kilkenny were always playing in Division 4 and losing by the odd point or two, but the fact of the matter is they absolutely annihilated and embarrassed in every single game and it makes a mockery of the county as a whole and all of that is down to the attitude of football taken by all those managers at underage levels. They don't care about it and it's just used as a filler inbetween the hurling season.

If you go down through the underage systems and when Kilkenny players are allowed to play both codes, it's very often seen that Kilkenny clubs and players make a good account of themselves, however once hurling starts becoming serious at around minor level, it's there and then that football starts becoming a joke and it is because of the attitude to football that I lost complete interest in football completely. When I was distraught at being knocked out of the Championship that time, everyone else was just talking about going back to hurling training.

I didn't regain my interest in football until I got to college, 3 years later.

Could you imagine the uproar if the hurling team were just thrown into a match without any training. The hurling success is at the expense of the football programme(if you can call it that)

This. Even at younger ages footballers are treated as second class citizens in the local community and it's disgraceful. I didn't hear a peep from my manager at minor after we were knocked out of the Championship until the football season came back around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Surely there must be somewhat of an interest in football in kilkenny i know hurling is the religion up here but is there seriously no interest from most about football.:confused:

Being from waterford i understand the hurling/football divide but waterford can still attract some interest.......they still arent great at it tho:rolleyes:

S28382 wrote: »
    Surely there must be somewhat of an interest in football in kilkenny i know hurling is the religion up here but is there seriously no interest from most about football.:confused:

Being from waterford i understand the hurling/football divide but waterford can still attract some interest.......they still arent great at it tho:rolleyes:
    aye from young players.....no managers and teams though which kills the playersinterest, like i said, I love football was through the kk football system, it killed me interest for years

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Scallion 'ater

Counties like Leitrim et al are as rubbish at hurling as we are at gaelic but yet they are "encouraged" to play hurling. KK just get criticised for being crap and making no effort!

In my view the difference is that there is no traditional of hurling in the likes of Leitrim, whereas every county in the country has a football tradition - Kilkenny even has All Irelands in it - and accordingly every other county in the country without exception still makes a big effort at football (yes I believe a big effort is made in all counties - just look at Waterford and Tipperary's recent successes in football which couldn't have happened without effort from the top of the county board down).

Kilkenny county board and clubs have actively worked to suppress football in the county in my view, I remember in the 70's they were quite competitive in the Leinster senior championship and during ther 80's and early 90's they were not always the worst county in the country - if I recall correctly Waterford and Tipperary came bottom of the division 4 pile behind Kilkenny on occasions. But some thing has happened in the interim and in my view there has been a policy to suppress football development for the benefit of hurling. It has paid handsome dividends (which is not necessarily to say Kilkenny would not have had the same hurling success anyway - but there is a question there) but I'd be very surprised if any effort to discontinue this policy will occur e.g. by doing what every other county does and having its senior and minor football championships played during the summer months and not played off as a blitz almost at either the very beginning or very end of the season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I don't think Kilkenny has an All-Ireland in football, I know Kerry has one in hurling alright.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

A few Leinsters, 100+ years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

The malaise continues,

From RTE website:

Allianz Football League Division 4

1343 Can't help but feel for Kilkenny with this scoreline after 34 minutes. Kilkenny 0-02 Fermanagh 6-08

Hope the match is behind closed doors in Freshford.

I genuinely think the GAA have to look into this. How much funding is the County Board actually giving to football? The GAA is all about promoting Gaelic Games, not one of them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

There's a discussion on it here in the RTÉ website.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

Just for the record:

So that is a 46-point win for Fermanagh. Wow. Kilkenny 0-04 Fermanagh 9-23

Full-time: Kilkenny 0-04 Fermanagh 9-23

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Scallion 'ater

I don't think Kilkenny has an All-Ireland in football, I know Kerry has one in hurling alright.

Fair enough I got that wrong but nevertheless there is clearly no effort whatsoever being made - just look at the latest result today:

Kilkenny 0-4 Fermanagh 9-23 and this is in division 4 i.e the worst counties in the country and yet this level of beating occurs week in week out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Seanieoneill

I am from Kerry and we could use the same excuse but we are competing respectably in Div 2A. Yes, we know that we are not in the same league as Kilkenny, Tipp or Cork but where I come from in North Kerry, there is not any football played and we don't apologise for that in that it we have always been a hurling area and that is that. Of course, we still support and admire Jack O'Connor and the lads but Hurling is No. 1 for us. Have we received hammerings? Yes. Recently 5-18 to 1-14 against Cork but we know where we are, a second tier team and we will try our best to build from there. When we get hammered in hurling, it is by Div. 1 teams. When Kilkenny get hammered in football, it is by Div. 4 teams. Big difference. Players not bothering to show up to play for Kilkenny footballers is not good enough.

Advertisement