Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art History basic help needed.

• 01-03-2012 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hello there!

Seeing as my art teacher is somewhat useless, I'm making out all of the essays and notes I need for art history myself.

I'm wondering, since there's three sections. Which are the absolutely crucial essays to learn?

I've done Gothic/Romanesque - Leonardo da Vinci - Michelangelo - Raphael - Newgrange - Bronze age - And of course my gallery visit.

Which of these should I study to perfection and what should I add in?

Thank you very much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 PTheArtist

Well, there is almost some sort of question on either Gothic or Romanesque every year, so try and focus on that. Although I studied Michelangelo and Leonardo too just to be sure, but you should be fine if you know Gothic and Romanesque very well.

Have you done the Iron Age? Try and include that in your study with Bronze Age, since Newgrange came up last year. (don't take my word for it!).

And your definately fine for the Appreciation question, since nearly everybody studies the gallery visit! :P

Like I said, anything can happen, so just try and be prepared!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

PTheArtist wrote: »
    Well, there is almost some sort of question on either Gothic or Romanesque every year, so try and focus on that. Although I studied Michelangelo and Leonardo too just to be sure, but you should be fine if you know Gothic and Romanesque very well.

Have you done the Iron Age? Try and include that in your study with Bronze Age, since Newgrange came up last year. (don't take my word for it!).

And your definately fine for the Appreciation question, since nearly everybody studies the gallery visit! :P

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

PTheArtist wrote: »

That's exactly what I'm doing - and I've only the same amount of work covered as you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

Is anyone doing any Renaissance painters/sculptors?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jmclee

Impressionism? Manuscripts? We did Giotto donatello massacio and botticelli too for European but stress of learning them all, I probably will though! I literally didn't do a tap for my art history mock because it was on same day as bio and I was in such a panic in the exam cos it was all waffle, didn't even look at my result for like 20 mins after i got it, but it was a B2?!

My answers were short and so vague, I really think they must go easy on art history unless I just had a sound examiner.. it is art in fairness, not history

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭galwaymusic

Well if the helps, I'm studying;
    • Stone Age - Newgrange
    • Bronze Age
    • Iron Age
    • Gothic
    • Early Renaissance
    • Gallery

Would u like the list of pieces/ artists / sculptures / buildings / paintings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

• Stone Age - Newgrange
    • Bronze Age
    • Iron Age
    • Gothic
    • Early Renaissance
    • Gallery

Why not romanesque? I think it's a lot easier than gothic and besides one or the other usually comes up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭galwaymusic

SeanMadd wrote: »
    • Stone Age - Newgrange
    • Bronze Age
    • Iron Age
    • Gothic
    • Early Renaissance
    • Gallery

Why not romanesque? I think it's a lot easier than gothic and besides one or the other usually comes up!

Eh, because our teacher has this gut feeling that Gothic (including Giotto) is bound to come up. :)
    Besides, I ALWAYS get info from Romanesque and Gothic mixed up. I always did. So I don't want to mix it up. Also because I'm lazy lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

An0n wrote: »
    Hello there!

Seeing as my art teacher is somewhat useless, I'm making out all of the essays and notes I need for art history myself.

I'm wondering, since there's three sections. Which are the absolutely crucial essays to learn?

I've done Gothic/Romanesque - Leonardo da Vinci - Michelangelo - Raphael - Newgrange - Bronze age - And of course my gallery visit.

Which of these should I study to perfection and what should I add in?

Thank you very much!
    James ?

hi would i be safe just relying on a gallery question for the art appreciation (section 3)? it comes up every year right? we have nothing else...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Another way they might ask the Gallery question is by saying that your school is going to have an exhibition, and you have to explain how you would organise it; what you put in it, how you would display everything, what room it would be in etc. It's not that different really, just need to sketch floorplans and sketch some of the displays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Eh, because our teacher has this gut feeling that Gothic (including Giotto) is bound to come up. :)
    Besides, I ALWAYS get info from Romanesque and Gothic mixed up. I always did. So I don't want to mix it up. Also because I'm lazy lol.

Sometimes the mix the Romanesque and Gothic architecture together, our teacher thinks that one is more likely than a straightforward question. I think its come up before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Magpies

Our teacher pointed out that stone crosses seem really likely to come up, since the exhibition in Collin's barracks has been there for a year (I think?), and they like to ask topical kinda questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

If I leave out the Renaissance entirely should I be ok? My teacher says I have to learn it to be safe but to be honest I just don't have the time.

If I leave out the Renaissance entirely should I be ok? My teacher says I have to learn it to be safe but to be honest I just don't have the time.

we didn't do renaissance so id be hoping you're ok to leave it out..

Advertisement