Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with HKC Alarm

Options
  • 01-03-2012 3:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi Altor
    What can I do if an alarm company refuses to give me the Engineers Code because they want to be awkward? Also, where do I stand with them charging the full charge every time for a callout for the same re-occuring problem. I want to switch companies for this reason that they just want call out charges as their main income each time.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Just get another company out to look at it. Any enginer could unlock a CS350.
    An enginer code doesn't tie you to any company.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi Altor
    What can I do if an alarm company refuses to give me the Engineers Code because they want to be awkward? Also, where do I stand with them charging the full charge every time for a callout for the same re-occuring problem. I want to switch companies for this reason that they just want call out charges as their main income each time.

Hi alarmskippy,

Most company's will give some sort of warranty will alarm repairs. The best advice I can give is to shop around and make sure you agree a price before they call out. The other day I heard of a company wanting to charge over €300 to call out and replace a battery in an HKC system :eek: If the system is engineer locked then you can request they change the code back to default, they are not obliged to do so. Any other company will unlock the system for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 alarmskippy

Hi Koolkid and Altour - didn't expect such a quick response - thanks! I believe that the panel is engineer locked; even if you disconnect and power it down and then start it again. I was informed that it cannot be reset to default settings unless the board is removed and sent away/replaced with a new one. It's a HKC panel. Error reads comms fault and dev comflt, and I was told a few fuses had blown and that possibly 2 window points could be affected.
    BTW, what in general is a standard call out charge on average? Do the alarm boards commonly give up! Thanks Again for info so far.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I was presuming it was a CS350 given the thread you posted in. Either way its unlikely the board would need to be changed. You certainly could not determine this by a telephone conversation .Sounds like this guy is looking for a handy upgrade.
    Regarding call out it should be between €60-90.
    It should also be no repair no fee. That might encourage them to unlock it and get it working. Shop around is my advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 alarmskippy

Hi
    I appreciate the quick response. This is the 2nd time today that I have posted in the wrong forum place! The post last night on here regarding the alarm was my first post on here ever - just joined. I really need to become more technological but it has gone over my head tbh. Thanks anyway and I think I may upgrade the board - they are really dear though.

• Advertisement

No bother. Im mobile at the moment, ill seperate to a new thread later.
    Don't change the board if you don't need to.
    Is this panel a 6/10 or 8/12?

Hi Koolkid and Altour - didn't expect such a quick response - thanks! I believe that the panel is engineer locked; even if you disconnect and power it down and then start it again. I was informed that it cannot be reset to default settings unless the board is removed and sent away/replaced with a new one. It's a HKC panel. Error reads comms fault and dev comflt, and I was told a few fuses had blown and that possibly 2 window points could be affected.
    BTW, what in general is a standard call out charge on average? Do the alarm boards commonly give up! Thanks Again for info so far.

There is some communication fault on the system, the blow fuse is more than likely giving this issue. The PCB can be defaulted on site or sent back to HKC to do. I would not think the issue is with the board. Can you replace the fuses and see what that does for you, why do you want the system defaulted?

Split from CS350 thread

[QUOTE=alarmskippy;77371930I think I may upgrade the board - they are really dear though.[/QUOTE]

Why upgrade the board? That would cost you more.

Advertisement