Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

High pitched hiss on varadero 125

• 01-03-2012 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

Hey guys im new to biking and wanted to know should the bike ven be making a kinda hiss. Its coming from the fount around the radiator. I have changed the coolant in the bike recently and its not overheating according to the digital screen. I have recorded it aswell. Thanks
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49611040/20120301%20154258.mp3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I have a varadero too. Mine does not make this noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

recoding isnt very clear. sounds like you either have no oil in it or the valve lash is out of whack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,414 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

OK, as you changed the coolant, it's probably that you didn't fill the system properly and it's boiling. The temp sensor won't read high if it's above the water level!

You need to let the bike get totally cold, then check that both the radiator cap and the expansion tank are filled up to the right level.

Some bikes have an air bleed screw near the water pump, this needs to be opened with the bike running until water starts coming out, to bleed the air out of the pump.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

ninja900 wrote: »
    OK, as you changed the coolant, it's probably that you didn't fill the system properly and it's boiling. The temp sensor won't read high if it's above the water level!

You need to let the bike get totally cold, then check that both the radiator cap and the expansion tank are filled up to the right level.

Some bikes have an air bleed screw near the water pump, this needs to be opened with the bike running until water starts coming out, to bleed the air out of the pump.

Thanks :) Im going to go have a look at it now and see whats the story with it

Heres the level its at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49611040/Photo%2003-03-2012%2015%2009%2025.jpg on the hunt for the water pump now

Following the bottom on the container it seems to go straight into the radiator hmmm still looking :D found these in the little box under the seat aswell http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49611040/Photo%2003-03-2012%2015%2023%2012.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

The bits you found under the seat are from a scottoiler.

The tube with the yellow bit is from the oil bottle to fill the scottoiler reservoir.

the other tube attaches to the scottoiler reservoir at one end and the other is supposed to connect into the vaccum tube (according to the installation manual). The tube sucks when the engine runs - making the scottoiler drip oil on your chain

http://www.motorco.biz/docs/Fittings/Honda/Honda%20Varadero%20125.pdf

The vacuums are normally used to balance the carbs at maintenance time.

If its not connected to the scottoiler it's gonna be sucking air and this could this be causing your noise.

That picture is the expansion tank (the level is bang-on BTW), there will also be a removable cap at the top of the radiator, you need to remove this (engine COLD) and check the coolant level goes right up to the top.

Then run the bike until it's warm, let it cool down again and check the coolant level in both the expansion tank and radiator again.

Scrap the cap!

Hey guys just an update, I was up with a mechanic today. He seems to think its a bearing on the crank shaft. Sid will be €100 to break the bike down + the crank shaft price but he will tty use other bearings. Im going to go to the honda center later aswell for a second opinion. Fair depressing :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Don't tell the second guy what the first fella said - so you're not putting ideas in his head.

100 sounds quite good for the job.

Also - did you find out what the story was with the vacuum tube? Was it possible that the previous owner had a scottoliler and removed it, and if so did they fix the tube?

WTF??? Crank bearing would be a loud knocking noise and a bad vibration as well... not a hissing noise.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

Hey guys just an update. So I went to the honda dealer aswell but of course the noise was gone. I played him the recording (slightly better one) but he said he really needs to her it in person. I asked would he venture a guess an he said the crank shafts tend to go in them but obviously he needs to hear it himself. Biting the bullet I dropped it up to the other guy in town, he said there were 2 bearings gone in the shaft, alot of crap in the engine gunk or something and he said the oil wasnt in the best condition so he changed that. I got him to check the break pads, the compression of the pistons and the head gasket. All were fine. Charged me €160 in total for everything. So will see if the noise comes back seems to be more obvious in warmer weather so I'll let you know when we get one nice day during the summer:D On the hunt for two mirrors.

Advertisement