Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volvo V40 Estate 2005??

• 01-03-2012 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I am looking at buying the above, 1.8 petrol with 77000. Just wondering what they are like for reliability and running costs? would be keeping this for at least next 5 years all going well !!!

would be greatful for any feedback?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Any link to the car, there are 2 1.8 engines, one good, one bad.
    Dunno if they still ran the 2 rngines to the end of production

Anyway, the good one is the Volvo one, the bad one is the Mitsubishi GDI engine (think its 1834cc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mitsubishi 1.8 GDI engine is 1834cc.
    Volvo 1.8 engine is 1783cc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Mpg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

The volvo engined V40 (1.8l) I ran for a few months returned 33/35mpg

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bouli73

link to car attached. what are they like wiht regards to reliability? Doing approx 7,000 miles per annum. Should i expect to get 5 years out of her, assuming she is alright, serviced history etc?

http://www.cbg.ie/car_detail.aspx?ID=4913188

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

bouli73 wrote: »
    link to car attached. what are they like wiht regards to reliability? Doing approx 7,000 miles per annum. Should i expect to get 5 years out of her, assuming she is alright, serviced history etc?

http://www.cbg.ie/car_detail.aspx?ID=4913188

You should get 5 years out of any reasonably well kept 2005 car. The question is how much it's going to cost you to keep her running.

Why not this one instead though?
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volvo/V50/V50-1.8-/201204206700548/advert?channel=CARS

You should be able to pick up a V50 for the same money as that V40 any day.

With respect to running costs:
    - I have an 07 S40 1.8 petrol. I get about 38mpg on my weekly commute (50km/day, a lot of N road and M50, 90-110km/h) plus weekend hopping around. I expect the V50 is slightly heavier? I do a lot of Dublin-Cork trips too, and I get about 30mpg on these. You'd get 35+ keeping to the speed limit though ;)
    - Watch those tyres. The 17 inch volvo wheels are 205/50/R17 which is a less common size so they're fookin expensive. I paid 180/corner fitted for good quality. There wasn't a mid-range option in stock and I was sick of places just not having any of any quality so I coughed up.
    - No reliability issues so far :) 1 year and 28,000km done.
    - There's some bigger jobs to be done around 100,000km but nothing to get upset about.
    - Watch for cracks in suspension arm, bushings etc, but you could say that about any car of that vintage.
    - Volvo main dealers are $$$
    - Make sure there's not problems with the DSC/DSTC and ABS systems. I've read some stories about these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

MrDerp wrote: »
    You should get 5 years out of any reasonably well kept 2005 car. The question is how much it's going to cost you to keep her running.

Why not this one instead though?
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volvo/V50/V50-1.8-/201204206700548/advert?channel=CARS

You should be able to pick up a V50 for the same money as that V40 any day.

With respect to running costs:
    - I have an 07 S40 1.8 petrol. I get about 38mpg on my weekly commute (50km/day, a lot of N road and M50, 90-110km/h) plus weekend hopping around. I expect the V50 is slightly heavier? I do a lot of Dublin-Cork trips too, and I get about 30mpg on these. You'd get 35+ keeping to the speed limit though ;)
    - Watch those tyres. The 17 inch volvo wheels are 205/50/R17 which is a less common size so they're fookin expensive. I paid 180/corner fitted for good quality. There wasn't a mid-range option in stock and I was sick of places just not having any of any quality so I coughed up.
    - No reliability issues so far :) 1 year and 28,000km done.
    - There's some bigger jobs to be done around 100,000km but nothing to get upset about.
    - Watch for cracks in suspension arm, bushings etc, but you could say that about any car of that vintage.
    - Volvo main dealers are $$$
    - Make sure there's not problems with the DSC/DSTC and ABS systems. I've read some stories about these.

Its the V40 the OP is looking at, not the V50 which is completely different including different engines. Totally different cars but alot of what you say still applies to the V40 regarding suspension, electrics, etc.

OP, that car is from a main Volvo dealer and the asking price is a bit meaty unsurprisingly given the age and model.

Advertisement