Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coat covered in paint

Options
  • 01-03-2012 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all,
    Not sure if this is right place, feel free to move
    Looking for some opinions on what to do
    I was queing in a spar for the deli counter, on the phone and not paying attention. I leant up against the door frame and when I went to move I realised the frame had been painted and my coat was all white gloss paint on the side. I looked and saw a wet paint sign hanging down from the top of the doorway ( a bit above eye level) easy to see if standing a bit away but not when up close. Anyway my question is can I ask the shop for any compensation for cleaning/ replacing the coat or is it just tough luck for not really looking where I was going
    ps I really liked the coat

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The way I see it is they had a sign up (around eye level is fine) and this along with the actual smell of paint (high gloss is pretty strong) should be more then enough to make people aware that there's wet paint.

You yourself have confirmed that you were not paying attention as you were on the phone so imho I don;t see how the business is at fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

barfold wrote: »
    on the phone and not paying attention.

Unfortunately you have sort of answered it yourself. Personal responsibilty comes into play and if the shop has a sign up in a good position, then they can claim they took precautions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 barfold

Yeah thought that.Was kinda hoping people would say something different along the lines of get a new coat out of it. Thanks for replies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Sorry OP but the wet paint sign does cover the painter, happened me when I had just painted a park bench, put sign on it and a young lady sat on it as I walked away.
    Council foreman saw what happened and immediately called it in to say I was covered and not to entertain a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

barfold wrote: »
    Yeah thought that.Was kinda hoping people would say something different along the lines of get a new coat out of it. Thanks for replies

But you still thought that you would get someone else to buy a new coat for you:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

johnayo Helpful comments only please

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bumbleebee

I wouldn't even go there, they would look at the cameras and pinpoint the moment when it happened and see you were on the phone and backed into it. And then label the claim as time waster, so you would just look silly. You could have easily backed into a shelf of glass jars or expensive wines and knocked everything and then you'd be paying out. :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Sleezy

You could go back for a second coat?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Sleezy wrote: »
    You could go back for a second coat?

oh dear oh dear...i think you should get your coat :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - enough

dudara

• Advertisement
Advertisement