Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allen Waste

Options
  • 02-03-2012 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭

I posted this in the Greyhound/DCC mega thread so at the risk of it getting unnoticed just want to ask if anyone has used Allen Waste?

I used to live in Dublin 8 until recently and worked off the DCC bin tags at €3 per label and no standing annual charge. We had a green wheelie bin which was collected fortnightly without any separate charge and since we only used to put out a black bag on average once a month it was a cheap and efficient system.

I've recently moved address to Dublin 7 and the area is all wheelie bins - black, brown and green which are rather unsightly outside everyone's front doors. However the standing charge is what I've an issue with, don't understand why the wheelie bins incur a fixed annual charge in addition to a lifting charge which in itself is quite expensive. I'm all in favour of the user paying but someone who only periodically puts out refuse still has to pay a yearly standing charge. I believe you should either have a fixed yearly charge and no additional per lift charge or else a cost per lift and no annual charge but not both.

Given my displeasure with the annual charge I've been researching other refuse collectors and hence came across Allen Waste. I saw an occasional bag on the streets amongst all the wheelie bins Tues morning on my way to work and discovered they had labels marked Allen Waste. The information on their website
    http://allenwasteremovals.com/household.php
    is rather sparse so I rang the number this evening and was pleasantly surprised to learn that they operate a similar service to the old DCC bin bags. No annual charge and you can purchase bin labels in shops at €3 each for black bag general household waste. You've to text your address to the number on their website to register, advising them to check your street for bags for collection. When I enquired about green recycling waste they advised they also did this on a weekly basis and that the waste just had to be placed in clear plastic bags.

Have yet to try purchasing the bin labels and registering my address so just wondering if anyone else here on boards is a customer of Allen Waste and how do you find their service? Also where do you obtain your clear plastic bags for the green recycling waste?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 OrchidClub

Have just fired off an email to allens so will let you know how I get on.
    S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You can arrange for a once only collection of your residential waste, or have a regular weekly or monthly pick up service.
    Looks like they do a weekly or monthly collection. They will probably require a yearly charge plus payment for each tag?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

foggy_lad wrote: »

Looks like they do a weekly or monthly collection. They will probably require a yearly charge plus payment for each tag?

No yearly charge AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Came looking for Alien waste. Left disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

To answer my own question for anyone that may be interested. I bought some bin bags in Ward's butchers in Cabra Mon evening, they come in an envelope with two general waste tags for €6 along with a clear plastic recycling bag. Range Allen waste shortly after 20:00 to check if it was too late to register my address for collection the following morning and there was no issue, he just said to leave out any recycling bag with the general waste bag and they'd collect the two together. Arrived home this evening to find both bags had been collected so well impressed so far.
    Since we produce very little general waste the Allen Waste service is working out very reasonable and hassle free. Now I just need to find some place to purchase clear recycling bags to be able to put out more green waste for collection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

Got some Allen bin tags myself and left two bags out this morning before I went out at 9am. They were collected before I got home at 11.30am
    And no standing charge:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Given all the hullabaloo with Greyhouse increasing charges and City Bins offering some competition the following is just an update 10 months after my initial enquiries in case of interest to others.
    Allen Waste has been very efficient and cheap thus far. €3 per black bag and recycling waste at no additional charge. Suits our needs perfectly given the amount of waste we generate and bags always collected.

I've no affiliation with Allen Waste, just a happy customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Although this is a zombie thread, I thought I would give my 2c anyway.

I sent them a text last year and never got a reply. So....

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement