Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Judge jails welfare cheats who 'conspired against the Irish people'.

• 02-03-2012 12:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

A man and a woman, both Polish and both living in Claremorris, have been sentenced to three months’ imprisonment each for fraudulent social welfare claims of €2,419 and €1,713 respectively last year.
    In two separate cases at last week’s sitting in Castlebar District Court, Judge Mary Devins heard how Karol Makuch (23) of 25 Grattan Avenue, Claremorris, and Barbara Gadec (29) of 13 Grattan Avenue, Claremorris, had separately misappropriated large sums of social welfare payments.
    Judge Mary Devins heard that Makuch and Gadec did this by using the welfare cards of Michael and Bernadetta Lebec, who had returned to Poland prior to the offences for family reasons.

Suspicious
    Garda Donal Raftery of Claremorris Garda Station told the court that on August 8 last he called to Ballindine Post Office after he was contacted by social welfare inspector Tony Gavin. Mr Gavin had reported suspicious collections by a woman using a welfare card belonging to Bernadetta Lebec.
    Garda Raftery viewed CCTV footage of the woman whom he recognised as Barbara Gadec. While in the post office, Garda Raftery observed Gadec entering the post office and collecting a total of €171.30 on ten occasions under the name of Bernadetta Lebec. Gadec had misappropriated €1,713 in total.
    Gadec said that after fellow Polish natives Michael and Bernadetta Lebec returned to Poland for family reasons, she was approached and asked if she would collect the money on a weekly basis. While she did this, the couple returned on a monthly basis to sign on.
    Gadec, a mother of two, insisted all she received in exchange for her assistance from the Lebec’s was a few packets of duty-free cigarettes. She said there was a good relationship between the Polish in the area and she had just been helping them out.

Criminal conspiracy
    Solicitor Michael Keane described Gadec as a family woman who had shown ‘naivety and stupidity’. “I would acknowledge that rather than believe that she was involved in a criminal conspiracy,” he said.
    A bemused Judge Devins replied, “Of course it’s a criminal conspiracy; it’s a criminal conspiracy against the people of the Republic of Ireland.”
    In a separate case which was again linked to Michael and Bernadetta Lebec, Karol Makuch of 25 Grattan Avenue, Convent Road, Claremorris, appeared on similar charges arising out of fraudulently claiming €2,419, this time with Michael Lebec’s card.
    Garda Raftery told the court he also viewed CCTV footage on August 8 last at Ballindine Post Office of Makuch claiming welfare payments. The defendant later admitted illegitimately claiming the money over a 15-week period.
    Garda Donal Raftery said that he did not recognise Makuch on CCTV footage. However, he arrested him after a period of surveillance outside the post office the following week.
    Solicitor Michael Keane said Makuch was 23-year-old kitchen porter and who had been in Ireland for three years and had never come to the attention of the Gardaí before.
    Defending his two clients, solicitor Michael Keane told Judge Devins that both Gadec and Makuch were part of a large ex-pat community who all helped each other out as best they could.
    Mr Keane said Gadec and Makuch had pleaded guilty at the very first opportunity and both individuals had subsequently repaid both sums of money. He added, “They got suckered into this by a couple who took advantage of their better nature. The couple are the real culprits. It’s almost like the drugs trade, except they’re the mules but now they’re in the firing line.”

Respect
    Judge Devins intimated she had little sympathy for their situation. “You almost have me in tears here. You’re painting a picture akin to that of ‘Little House on the Prairie’ when you’re describing these Polish ex-pats.”
    Mr Keane continued, “Who knows better than the Irish about a self-help group. Of course it’s wrong but it’s very prevalent.” Judge Devins enquired, “Are you suggesting that the Irish community are doing this in other countries?” Mr Keane replied that the practice is ‘rampant’ in every country in the world. “Every government knows it’s rampant,” he said.
    Passing judgement Judge Devins acknowledged what she described as an impassioned plea from Mr Keane. She added, “I don’t think it’s entirely well-founded. For a start these emigrants are not living in tenements with no light, no electricity and no running water. These people have benefitted and have been shown respect by the Republic of Ireland. Ms Gadek and Mr Makuch have not returned or given back that respect.”
    Judge Devins sentenced Gadec and Makuch to six months in prison each, suspending the final three months for a period of twelve months. Recognisance in the event of an appeal was fixed at €2,400 for both parties, with independent surety fixed at €300.

I came across this story just now and found it interesting that the judge jailed the offenders, considering the relatively low amounts involved. But I think it sends out a strong message to others engaged or thinking about engaging in similar fraud. Like most of us, I abhor the illegal claiming of benefits and have believe in tough punishment for offenders.

Some will say it is only the tip of the iceberg and they'd be right, but if this story reached all who are thinking about going down the same dishonest road....then I'm sure most would think twice. More jail time should be dished out in my opinion, if that is what it takes.

I also hope this thread does not descend into the bashing of Polish, or any other minority living here. They have a right to claim what they are entitled to, no problem there. Most are honest, decent people who are here to work, respect our ways and the rule of law.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement