Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internship information needed please

Options
  • 02-03-2012 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

OK so I am 18, did my leaving cert and everything but no luck finding a job.

No courses in FAS that interest me and the ones that do have started or wont be starting for a few months.

I am SICK of sitting in my house or job hunting but not getting a call so I was thinking of doing this to keep me from becoming lazy and another job experience on my CV..

can ANY job give you them? any information would be great :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Get a Job Bridge job for six months and then go to college or go back and repeat your leaving if you didn't get the points. Other than that get a trade (if that's even possible anymore) and then emigrate.

In ten or fifteen years the majority of people will have degrees or some form of college education. So you haven't a prayer of getting a job with just your leaving cert. Unless you want to end up like this for the rest of your life; constantly struggling and wondering where the next few quid is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Disko biscuits

token101 wrote: »
    Get a Job Bridge job for six months and then go to college or go back and repeat your leaving if you didn't get the points. Other than that get a trade (if that's even possible anymore) and then emigrate.

In ten or fifteen years the majority of people will have degrees or some form of college education. So you haven't a prayer of getting a job with just your leaving cert. Unless you want to end up like this for the rest of your life; constantly struggling and wondering where the next few quid is coming from.

Thanks man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I agree with token101. The days of just have a leaving certificate are over. You need to get yourself an education.

Think of it like this: for every job you apply for, there are probably 20 other CVs from people with degrees or masters degrees. These are the people you are competing with.

Time is on your side though (you're only 18) so don't be getting stressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

http://www.jobbridge.ie/ - internships currently available.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I agree with token101. The days of just have a leaving certificate are over. You need to get yourself an education.

In fairness, 17% of 15 year olds in this country cannot even read.

So someone having a LC is doing a lot better than 20% of his/her peers. And he may be more attractive to some entry-level employers than a graduate who will clearly f**k off when a better job comes up.

OP, while I encourage tertiary education, sometimes getting a job for a while can help. Yes, almost any company can help you get an internship. Or you could think of doing some volunteer work for community group's you're interested in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Disko biscuits

JustMary wrote: »
    In fairness, 17% of 15 year olds in this country cannot even read.

So someone having a LC is doing a lot better than 20% of his/her peers. And he may be more attractive to some entry-level employers than a graduate who will clearly f**k off when a better job comes up.

OP, while I encourage tertiary education, sometimes getting a job for a while can help. Yes, almost any company can help you get an internship. Or you could think of doing some volunteer work for community group's you're interested in.

Thanks for the information. I plan on going to college after I get back on my feet. I understand where the lads are coming from but if someone had a master degree do you think they would be working in JJB or Dunnes stores? I mean people get those degrees for well paid jobs so I would have to disagree about the leaving cert meaning nothing in the next 10 years as I would have thought the country would be in a much better position than it is right now?

Advertisement