Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue

Options
  • 02-03-2012 2:14am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭

Work in a call centre in Dublin. (pretty big company, but wont say who)

Got call Tuesday (my last call) cant really remember it, done what was asked, right outta here goodluck....

Next day boss says customer called in and said when call was finished, i said in background ****ing eejet....as in i put handset down on desk and then said it....

Only a % of Calls are recorded but this call has not been recorded so no evidence of the call exsists only my notes on it which were wat i done on her account...

when im finished i hangup headset off and am outta there... not only am i 100% certain i never said these words, i havnt used word ejjet in years or heard it in ages.

Now i was called to a displinary meeting for next Thursday..

I said i wasnt going because
    A: how can i be disiplined for something i never done.
    B: how can they prove it if i did do it
    C: im furious over this, its 1 persons word against anothers

What does people think i should do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

That sounds ridiculous.

I'd almost be tempted to get a friend to ring in who wants the call to be escalated to a supervisor... pass the call to my boss... and then get the friend to later complain that the boss called him a ****ing eijet. I'd do this before Thursday so the boss will be feeling a bit more understanding...

But obviously that is terrible advice. :)

Ask can you bring a colleague to the meeting so there is a witness if there are any shenanigans. Just deny deny deny and they can't really do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I said i wasnt going because
    A: how can i be disiplined for something i never done.
    B: how can they prove it if i did do it
    C: im furious over this, its 1 persons word against anothers

A disciplinary meeting should be about investigation first, and then after that it's about actually being disciplined if the investigation shows that there was some wrong-doing.

As part of the investigation, you are entitled to full information on what has been alleged.
    Ask can you bring a colleague to the meeting so there is a witness if there are any shenanigans.

Actually, tell them you are bringing a colleague. You have the right to bring a witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Be very careful about not attending disciplinary meetings. In at least one place where I worked refusing to attend a disciplinary meeting was the same as refusing to work, a breach of contract and gave the company uncontested grounds for termination.

(1) If you are not familiar with the company disciplinary policy ask for a copy, ask to have it explained to you prior to the meeting.

(2) Ask for a written description of the discipline issue prior to the meeting so that you can seek advice. Ask for a copy of the customers complaint. Then seek advice.

(3) Bring a coworker to the hearing, remember in many policies they will not be allowed to speak, they are just a witness, understand what your policy says. If you have a supervisor, bring them as your second, this may temper the bosses comments as any criticism of you is also a criticism of your supervisor. (Don not bring anyone the boss considers a troublemaker!)

Good Luck!

"how can i be disiplined for something i never done"

As a supervisor/manager/boss, one in every ten times I have had to deal with a discipline issue has the person admitted it up front. Like in Shawshank everyone is innocent. But sometimes innocence is as hard, if not harder to prove than guilt, and mud sticks. :-( But they could say that you are being disciplined for not keeping the customer happy.

"how can they prove it if i did do it"

Their evidence is a customer complaint.

In a service industry, unfortunately an upset customer is often proof enough. As a service provider, you boss could consider that irrespective of what was said, there was "something" in your encounter with the customer that pissed off that customer enough to call him. It is almost irrelevant what you did to piss off that customer, it was enough to make the customer pick up the phone to complain.

"im furious over this, its 1 persons word against another s"

Your Boss is probably asking himself, why would a customer that was dealt with courteously, whose request had been listened to and completed ring up to complain? Why would they waste their time like that?

One final comment I would have.....

If you did it.... then fess up and take it like a man... Believe me,if you boss believes the customer, that you did say it and he can't prove it this time, he will remember and it will affect your working relationship far longer than the warning would if you admit it. Demonstrating that you can take feedback and improve can be seen as a positive thing if handled correctly.

If you did not...then by all means stand your ground.

Advertisement