Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion

Options
  • 02-03-2012 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭

Trailer

Beta Gameplay

This one is not being suggested as a Micro-Expansion, it's being slated as a sequel.

Downloading it now, pre-order beta access, and $10 off for owning Sins and/or it's expansions.

Sins is of course that lovely Civilization-Style RTS where you develop your interplanetary empire, organize alarmingly huge fleets of ships and watch them blast the hell out of eachother.

The big highlights in this standalone are revised 'old' ships, several new ship types (Frigates, Corvettes [which "use their enhanced speed and maneuverability to weave through the battlefield, inflicting damage to enemy ships’ systems"], and Capital ships) as well as a new Titan class of ship which I guess if you've played EVE probably makes sense. Apparently Capital Ships weren't big enough. In addition new factions split the existing three into Loyalists and Rebellion, with different tech trees (probably not huge gaps in difference, but yknow) making playable factions effectively 6. And an updated Graphics Engine, with "New ship movement system and performance optimizations". And it's steamworks based.
    Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion BETA 1 Begins!

3/1/2012 4:18:53 PM

Stardock Entertainment and Ironclad Games are very pleased to announce the release of Beta 1 for all Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion pre-order customers!
    This first beta will allow you to play as the TEC Loyalists or Rebels in either single-player or multiplayer via Ironclad Online or LAN. Also included in this first beta release:
    • Updated graphics engine with self-shadowing ships, up to 16X anisotropic filtering and more.
    • Updated weapon effects.
    • All the new technologies and balance of the TEC factions.
    • Construct the mighty TEC Loyalist Ankylon and TEC Rebel Ragnarov titans.
    • The new TEC Corsev battlecruiser capital ship and Stilat/Shriken corvettes.
    • Steam support for achievements, friends, game invites, automatic updates and more.
    • New ship movement system and performance optimizations.
    • and lots more!
    If you've pre-ordered, watch your e-mail for your order receipt with your Steam CD-Key and download information. If you'd like to get in on the beta, head over to the Purchase page. For existing registered Trinity/Diplomacy customers the price is $29.95 for a limited time; for new customers it's $39.95.

http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/

And yeah I was getting mad at Civ V. It was at that point where the computer was crunching numbers for 2 minutes between turns.. Need more RAM and an SSD...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I liked it was a good game especially with all the mods out there for it, there was some great star wars and star trek mods.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

when you pre order do you have to pay there and then?or is it taken when the game releases?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Meh, Sins was a very average game because it stuck so close to the RTS formula, it was just a generic RTS game set in space and for me that's what killed it, could of been so much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Stev_o wrote: »
    Meh, Sins was a very average game because it stuck so close to the RTS formula, it was just a generic RTS game set in space and for me that's what killed it, could of been so much more.

I agree, I enjoyed Sins to an extent, but it's certainly not something I would go back to.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

when you pre order do you have to pay there and then?or is it taken when the game releases?
    I placed my order back in October, but wasn't charged until last night when the Beta went live on Steam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well Titans will see the games take a lot less time.

At the start of my test game I decided to rush into Titan research. Pirates attacked me of course so I had my capital ship at home protecting the Titan yard. This went on for probably 10 minutes, the same group of 10 pirate frigates, just my capital ship and them spitballing eachother. When I got all the research done and the Ragnarov was complete, all I saw were lasers and missiles everywhere, and the pirates were gone within half a minute. There had still been about 6 of them left.

I jumped the Ragnarov into an enemy homeworld with 2 other capital ships. The first 2 capital ships had to bug out inside of 3 minutes. The Ragnarov stuck around for the next 10, eliminating every ship, cannon, and starbase in sight. One he got into range of a TEC starbase it took him all of 60 seconds to bring it down.

Plus they have improved on the movement and fire mechanics. They'll still sit and shoot for the most part but they now finally make full use of all their guns (theyve fixed any bugs with that) and so if you really would just rather plot a course through the enemy instead of standing still, you actually end up doing much more damage. At one point the Titan was tracking and firing on at least 6 different targets but it was hard to keep up (in the video all those orange bursts of smoke are his), most frigates only last a few seconds near him. This is good as it means that the commander that spends the time doing maneuvers is more likely to win most encounters, promoting quite a bit more drama in the gameplay.

The only time the Titan ever seemed to calm down was when I had him bombard the planet. Still does so at a fairly normal rate. I wanted to play that music they do after an episode of 1970s Hulk.

Obviously the game balance will probably change before launch but for now I like the faster pace of play.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

This is being released on june 12th,think I might pre purchase

Advertisement