Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Clamping Business - Advice needed

Options
  • 02-03-2012 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Im looking to start up a car clamping business in my local town and surrounding towns as i have noticed that illegal parking has become a big problem and now that im out of work this could be an new opportunity for me to start a new business.Problem is i have not a clue who to approach to find out how i can be granted permission to start this venture and i think i might have to thread very carfully in who i ask and approach on this matter,any advice would be kindly appreciate

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

firstly you need to learn the law and get legal advice,

secondly you need to have a company (preferably a Ltd company so you will need at least a second or third person named as directors - this is mainly to protect against personal losses in the event it goes belly up)

you will need a decent accountant - to ensure proper financial compliance. (PRSI, Employee rights etc)

next you need to purchase stock (vans, clamps, employees, signage, camera to prove vehicle was illegally parked prior to addition of clamp and post clamp, need suitable locks and clothing for staff to use in the course of their duties)

Permission from relative authorities (council, residents association etc)

Insurance for you, the company and any employees....oh and training in how to clamp, health and safety procedures and possibly how to deal with aggressive behaviour, many clampers are subject to serious abuse.

Create an appeals process, ticketing system/parking system outlining the rules and clearly indicating where a vehicle is illegally parked it may be subject to clamping and subject to a release fee.

if my memory is correct there is moves to make private clamping companies register which means you may be subject to new incoming legislation which may mean that you are hit financially in a big way by the government and might have to adhere to strict codes of conduct.

Clamping companies in private estates (private clamping companies) are a grey area legally - mainly because they have not really been challenged in the courts, many straddle the law and sometimes break the law - you must also learn, know and understand the traffic by-laws for specific areas as well as Rules of the road and normal traffic laws - the hundreds of exemptions (ie. it is perfectly legal for a person to park on double yellow lines for a short period of time, for the purposes of loading/unloading - which means you cannot clamp straight away if someone is on double yellows)

Hope that helps.

It could be a case of creating the business and then seeking permission - which might mean a huge waste of money or gamble on getting a contract, or silently working in the background while networking with various local residents associations, chambers of commerce, council officials...there is a lot to consider and a lot to do in terms of setting up a business (have you set up a business before ? I've been self employed for close to 10years and have learned a lot over the last number of years...ps. I'm not in the clamping business)

If you can get past the whole weeing doorstep scenario , go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

You also have to be able to head out in the morning with the knowledge that you are going to ruin someones day, every single day. Also be prepared to take lots of abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭wytch

Why not just rob a bank, seems like a more moral way of making money than clamping. Anyhow there appears to be no money in it.

"
    THERE IS NO money to be made from clamping, members of the Irish Parking Association said yesterday during a discussion on the regulation of clamping in Ireland.
    They were speaking at a meeting headed by Labour TD Ciaran Lynch in which a number of issues were discussed "

From The Journal

http://www.thejournal.ie/clampers-make-no-money-from-clamping-349194-Feb2012/

Anyhow best of luck with it, hope you wont find it to hard to get to sleep each night!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I'd go to your local solicitor and have a chat regarding what you need to/can do re: the legalities

Don't worry about these silly comments about sleeping at night, your in business, once you don't clamp anyone who is legally parked you have nothing to feel the slightest bit bad about.

Good luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

If someone parks their car where they shouldn't on a path, close to a junction - in a disabled spot without a cert - well "fcuk them if they cant take a joke" - clamp them, clamp them, clamp them.
    I'd have no trouble sleeping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

IRE60 wrote: »
    If someone parks their car where they shouldn't on a path, close to a junction - in a disabled spot without a cert - well "fcuk them if they cant take a joke" - clamp them, clamp them, clamp them.
    I'd have no trouble sleeping.

Clamp company wouldn't have jurisdiction on public roads, that's for the traffic wardens to enforce.

Clamp companies as far as I know may only clamp on private property where they have been invited to do so by the owners. Even then there is nothing stopping a person being clamped cutting the clamp off which is just as legal as being clamped in the first place.

Private clamping should really be regulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Limericks wrote: »
    Clamp company wouldn't have jurisdiction on public roads, that's for the traffic wardens to enforce.

Clamp companies as far as I know may only clamp on private property where they have been invited to do so by the owners. Even then there is nothing stopping a person being clamped cutting the clamp off which is just as legal as being clamped in the first place.

Private clamping should really be regulated.

That is incorrect

Cutting off a clamp is criminal damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Hammertime wrote: »
    That is incorrect

One could argue that clamping a car in itself was illegal, just ask Judge William Harnett who ruled in 2007 that a private campus had no legal authority to clamp a car.

Hence I said they were as legal as each other, never said they were 100% legal.

And as I said also, they really need to be regulated to stop arguments like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Hammertime wrote: »
    That is incorrect

If you cut off the clamp and contact the company and give your name and address it is a civil matter.

Better still, if you can remove the clamp without damaging it then there is no case to answer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement