Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish lLanguage Really Annoying

• 02-03-2012 3:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi
    I just think that the way the Irish language is forced upon people is disgraceful. TG4 paid for by the whole of the Republic, and unneccessary expense of printing the Irish on forms and roadsigns etc costing time, money, paper, ink etc. It makes forms less clear to read really. It is also added in before introducing programs, and adding phrases in now and then. TBH, I am quite happy to speak English; like many English speaking countries, and I do not wish to have it forced upon me like when I was in school. I could have spent that time learning Spanish, for example as that may have come in useful. It does not sound nice just like German. I think if some people want to speak bits of it among themselves - fine, but I do not need them trying to promote it to me. The government likes to name some organisations in Irish which confuses and annoys me. It annoys me when it comes on the radio/tv and makes me feel like I am in a foreign country listening to something I cannot relate to.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

It does not sound nice just like German.

Is é sin an áit a stad mé ag léamh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Ya sound like a west brit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 alarmskippy

that's helpful - talking in tongues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the way Irish is taught in schools needs to be completely revamped alright, I know more French than Irish and only did that for two years, did Irish for the entire lenght of my school attendance and can barely speak a few words of it. but Irish isnt "forced" upon you, if you dont like TG4, dont watch it, its the only irish station that actually makes good programmes, it has great films on constantly and it was the first Irish tv channel to show The Wire over here, leave it alone. dont blame those who do want to speak the language for you own lack of it, I wish I could speak it fluently not the pigeon Irish we learn in school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

flyswatter wrote: »

Ya sound like a bogger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Ní thuigim fhocal a duirt tú, an dfheadfadh ath-scríobh as gaeilge skippy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

It's great to see a new discussion on boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

grindle wrote: »

Ya sound like a bogger.
    Labhair leis an lamh nil an aghaidh ag eisteacht.

Lets be honest, English is what 95% of Irish people think in. I am being generous, I think. It is the language of the country and it's people. It is great that we speak English and do not need everything dubbed over in the cinema/fav programs unlike many European countries. You actually lose the full comprehension of for example George Bush's stupidity etc if it is dubbed/ Homer on the Simpsons.
    It is aggravating having to listen to Irish and giving it the air time it gets when nobody knows what it means/cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Labhair leis an lamh nil an aghaidh ag eisteacht.

Now THAT'S comedy. You should be an Irish teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

It is aggravating having to listen to Irish and giving it the air time it gets when nobody knows what it means/cares.
    Speak for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Lets be honest, English is what 95% of Irish people think in. I am being generous, I think. It is the language of the country and it's people. It is great that we speak English and do not need everything dubbed over in the cinema/fav programs unlike many European countries. You actually lose the full comprehension of for example George Bush's stupidity etc if it is dubbed/ Homer on the Simpsons.

is it 2008 again?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

And yet your use of English leaves so much to be desired! You should really brush up on your punctuation and syntax before questioning people's use of other languages.

Anyone wanting to refute my arguments etc should really reply in English or not bother responding as I cannot understand what I perceive to be foreign talk - really! I do not think that it should be mandatory in schools as I hated every minute, and it never served any purpose.
    I am saying that the kids should be given the choice. I do not know if they still apply extra points for the Leaving Cert for undertaking the other subjects in Irish. This is totally unfair and wrong. It has no meaning in relation to the other subjects. It annoys me on RTE when programs are introduced in Irish or phrases are mentioned. It is not obvious to all. This is an English speaking country so our English language media should be just that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

OP,this is more of a rant.
    AHs is not what you are looking for and this is your second thread in two different forums.

You could try Ranting/Raving and pm dr.bollocko Handsome Bob or Keefg for access.

Be sure to read the Forum Charter before you post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement