Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

firewall app for iPhone ?

• 02-03-2012 3:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

I'm looking for an iPhone 4S app like 'Roaming Guard Ex' for Nokia symbian. While roaming I want to block all 3g network data activity except for those apps [e.g. jellybean] that I want to use while roaming.

Best I can manage so far is the crude all or nothing approach offered by iOS 5 or turning network access on then using jellybean then turning access off .. how much of a data over head is that ? 50KB to negotiate a connection then send 1KB of data !? Anyway I bound to forget to turn network access off at some point and then I'll suffer cardiac infarction (House fan ;-)

any ideaS ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

If the phone is jailbroken you could use firewall ip. It costs nearly $5

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭mopi

Phone is, and will remain, as supplied by network operator [It's really girlfriends and I just dont want the grief]. It can't be just me that wants to tame wayward apps while roaming .. is this an apple control-freak thing ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If you're not jailbreaking then there is no way an App Store app can act as a firewall.

You can however switch of roaming data under Settings > General > Network > Data Roaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭mopi

thanks for the info Aidan, disappointing result but obviously something iPhone users can live with.

Plan B - anyway to get most APPs to refuse to use a roaming cellular (3g) data connection ? Same result but different approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Data roaming would need to be switched off completely as shown above.

• Advertisement
Advertisement