Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PrePay Power - Any good?

Options
  • 02-03-2012 4:23am

Hey all,

Never heard of them myself, but my Dad's banging on about some group called PrePay Power that he wants to sign up with.

http://www.prepaypower.ie/

Sent a leaflet in the door with info and such. Just thought I'd ask on here if anyone's familiar with them at all or if they're any good or a nightmare to deal with? :confused:

Anyone know of them?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

I use to do this in the U.K. it's a system where you ''pay as you go'' for electricity and is very useful when you dont want a big bill coming through your door at the end of a few months.

Plus I've heard that ESB are putting a charge on now for anyone who uses less electricity they still have to pay a lot more. Like if you have a holiday home and you never use the electricity is one of their excuses.

Well if thats the case then lets all of us use pre-pay and pay as you go for electricity. We can use as much of it whenever we want. Either way this was a stupid mistake of esb to make considering they already know pre-pay is out there. This charge of theirs will only further push people to go ''pay as you go'' for electricity.

I say go for it.

Onesimus

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Do a search on here. Apparently it works out more expensive than an ESB meter. I really don't like the look of that site, I'd do a lot of background checks on them before giving them my details.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 cazrach

Hey
    we are with prepaypower.ie for about 2 months and the meter is costing us a fortune our bill with esb was approx 120 per month but i wasnt great at going to post office to pay so i switched to this company the meter is costing us at least 50-60 euro a week its a 24 hour meter so after 6pm there is no reduction in price i would not reccomend

• Registered Users Posts: 2 backload

Im with PrePayPower for 12 months and it,s easier than the prepay gas. Its probably dearer per unit but I only buy a bit at a time and keep an eye on the credit for the week.

The only difference is there service charge; but I dont get bills and owe nothing - so; happy days for me and enjoy ur bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 I.K.Brunel

Prepay charge for units & standing charge at the standard Electric Ireland rates (which are the dearest rates Electric Ireland charge) and in addition they charge their own 'meter charge' at a rate of 37.5cent/day.

That's a whopping €136.88 per year extra charges for the "convenience" of prepaying for your electricty useage!! :eek:

Why pay more than everyone else when suppliers are offering discounts?

and if it's the control of your money that's important then why not get your existing supplier to provide a prepay meter solution for you and avoid the extra €136.88 charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Tessan

cazrach wrote: »
    Hey
    we are with prepaypower.ie for about 2 months and the meter is costing us a fortune our bill with esb was approx 120 per month but i wasnt great at going to post office to pay so i switched to this company the meter is costing us at least 50-60 euro a week its a 24 hour meter so after 6pm there is no reduction in price i would not reccomend

Was thinking of signing up with prepay,not going to now, cheers for this info!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

brilliant!! this is why i love boards.ie :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

Pre-pay power accounts may be useful for landlords (at the lower end of the market) who don't want to be hit with a big bill when their tenants leave in the middle of the night without giving notice.

They are also useful for people inept at managing their finances. If you have a large balance on your littlewood's account and don't realise you're paying 40% APR, a prepaid energy account may be for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

I got the Prepower installed a month ago find it great the best I know its a bit dearer in the long run but no bill at the end of the month. I just top it up every friday. One thing you will notice that you will be watching it like a hawk.

37c a day is €22.50 every 2 months.. Big price for not getting a bill.
    Also the energy companies give DD/paperless billing discounts as high as 15%

I see your point that some people literally cannot manage their finances, however people who get into arrears with the other companies can also get prepaid meters from their existing suppliers.

I just think prepaid power are mis-selling slightly. "No more bills, save money" .. If only.

• Advertisement

Tessan wrote: »
    Was thinking of signing up with prepay,not going to now, cheers for this info!

How many live with you? I put 10-15 in it a week

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭laurynsmam

I am with prepay power about 2 months or so now.. I think it is great I have to say.. I ran into arrears with previous energy provider but they still would not give me a meter, threatened to cut me off etc, but wouldn't give me any other option other than pay arrears in full...
    Absolutely not possible.
    With the meter, I can keep an eye on how much we spend, we are now more aware of electricity usage etc..

i recommend it.

laurynsmam wrote: »
    I am with prepay power about 2 months or so now.. I think it is great I have to say.. I ran into arrears with previous energy provider but they still would not give me a meter, threatened to cut me off etc, but wouldn't give me any other option other than pay arrears in full...
    Absolutely not possible.
    With the meter, I can keep an eye on how much we spend, we are now more aware of electricity usage etc..

i recommend it.

Agree with you here, you might pay more 37c a day but I find I watch the metre a lot, turn off everything now so I could be saving a lot more

Plenty of shilling going on in this thread

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Thread closed. If people wish to discuss this, please do so on the consumer forums.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement