Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaged nose

Options
  • 02-03-2012 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hey,
    A kayak has hit a big rock and the nose got pushed in. The nose was later popped out.Would you

A) Buy it anyway as you are getting it cheap
    B) Avoid like the plague as the nose is always going to be weaker and could potentially go again, worse the next time leaving you up **** creek with a paddle but no boat. icon_question.gif

I think i know the answer but said I'd ask more experienced paddlers
    Thanks, rothai

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭nookie

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Depends on the price, you could get a real bargain. It also depends on the type of paddling you're going to be doing in it. If you've no risk of caving in the nose on your rivers, then you should be fine.
    Also, if it does crack in the nose when you're paddling it, it's not as bad as you make out. It's one of the easiest places to seal up. Wrap it in duct tape, and it's good to go.
    A crack beneath the waterline would be much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭rothai

thanks nookie, should be using it for just river running, dont think im up to creeking yet!

Depending on the price, it could still be a good buy. I wouldn't bring a boat out on a river that had been cracked on the underside, but I'd be happy enough on grade three anyway or easy grade four with a nose that's been popped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vintage01

If you think its a deal buy it.i cant remember if you say what boat it is but its always good to try other boats. It can sometimes take time to get used to a new boat, but you might come to love it. I find it hard to just demo a boat, I like to spend a bit of time paddling it.

And here is what to do if it happens again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwfPwF1i9pY&feature=channel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

wet-paint wrote: »
    Depending on the price, it could still be a good buy. I wouldn't bring a boat out on a river that had been cracked on the underside, but I'd be happy enough on grade three anyway or easy grade four with a nose that's been popped out.

I bought a creeker with a repaired crack on the hull beneath the waterline and its been fine. I've used for loads of rivers since I got it. It was dirt cheap as well.

I don't think I could bare to spend €1000 on a new creeker and then go scraping down all the rocky irish rivers in it. If it breaks, which happens A LOT, then thats 600 or 700 euro gone off the resale value immediately. Second hand, repaired boats are the way to go imo.

It's a lot more likely that you'll break a repaired boat.

I'm just referring to the example above my post here.

wet-paint wrote: »
    It's a lot more likely that you'll break a repaired boat.

Yeah but its already broken and can be easily repaired again so what have I got to lose? If it cracks again half way down a river lots of surf wax and duct tape will keep it floating until the end.

Obviously if I was doing a multi day creeking trip I wouldn't use a damaged boat but just paddling in Ireland its fine. Anyway I'm a poor student so I can't afford to drop €1000 on a boat I might break.

The quality of the repair is good, it was welded and the guy who did it knew what he was at. He showed me how to do it so I think if it breaks again I should be able to fix it myself although I haven't had any practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

i can think of one individual who fell for the buying welded boats thing. very annoying having to pull in every five minutes for him to bail out the swamped boat. buying broken things is stupid. but a second-hand intact boat. please stop fuelling the sale of broken boats by gougers and chancers. boats do not break easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

take a hammer, beat the hell out of your boat. does it break?
    no = normal healthy (somewhat dinged looking) boat.
    yes = boat faulty. design or manufacture problem.
    in nearly 15 years I have seen very few broken boats. all I have seen were due to massive abuse or serious design flaws. most people selling broken boats are fobbing off their paddling mistakes on some poor punter who knows no better. ya, we all hear the argument, "but it is a really good weld done by a fella who is REALLY good at welding boats (who also usually is the guy flogging the boat) so it should be fine". I call horse-sourced-rose-fertiliser on that one. Ya, there are some welds going around that are fairly solid. do you know which is going to be solid when you buy a welded boat? no.
    if you are buying a car, do you buy from the dodgy bloke who has a banger that he driven into a few walls, then has patched up, or do you try find something reliable, within your price range, and that has not been abused unmercifully by a previous owner?
    fine, buy a welded boat. you could be another story told on the riverbank (and I KNOW we have all heard them) of the sucker who bought the lemon.

I can't see how anyone could fail to notice that a boat was broken and has been welded. All it takes is a quick look at the hull and its usually quite obvious. If you get tricked into buying a broken boat its your own fault.

As I said earlier I've been paddling my repaired boat on all sorts of irish rivers, the clare glens, the flesk, the boluisce, the inny and countless unnamed scrapy runs in conemara and I've had no problems. It cost me €200. I fail to see how it was a bad buy to be honest.

And boats do break relatively easily, all it takes is a lot of speed and a bad line.

Word, I've seen new boats break maddeningly easily.
    And we're going round in circles. Buyer beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭rothai

Thanks all, boat bought. Very happy with it. You wouldn't even know the nose had been popped, looks great. Happy out. I've hade it out 3 times and I'm starting to love it.
    Happy paddling all

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

rothai wrote: »
    Thanks all, boat bought. Very happy with it. You wouldn't even know the nose had been popped, looks great. Happy out. I've hade it out 3 times and I'm starting to love it.
    Happy paddling all

Happy paddling in her OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

At least your happy paddling and the boat didn't sink first time out. :-)

Advertisement