Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop given my dress to Charity

Options
  • 02-03-2012 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right forum, mods please move if necessary.

Basically I left a dress into a "Worn once shop", where they sell it on and get commission on the price. The dress cost €250 a few years ago. I got a text there last week/the week before saying if I do not collect my unsold items by such a date they would be given to charity. They only gave a number of days. I only remembered there today and the date has passed. I've just been up to my eyes with work/college, basically doing 7 day weeks. Just wondering if they are allowed to do this, has any one had any experience with this? I also find it very convenient having looked at there website that they now have a "charity" shop.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

If I understand correctly, you left the item to be sold. They gave a time limit during which time you could retrieve it if not sold or they would dispose of it. They sent you a reminder. You didn't collect your item and now it has been disposed.

Your life situation is neither here nor there. They gave it to charity, so they won't get any benefit from disposal. They sound like a good, moral company.

I suppose if you want it back you could buy it from the charity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

If I understand correctly, you left the item to be sold. They gave a time limit during which time you could retrieve it if not sold or they would dispose of it. They sent you a reminder. You didn't collect your item and now it has been disposed.

Your life situation is neither here nor there. They gave it to charity, so they won't get any benefit from disposal. They sound like a good, moral company.

I suppose if you want it back you could buy it from the charity?

Eh no, they never gave any time limit !!!!!!! Given away items that don't belong to you is neither moral nor ethic. If they're selling the items from their charity shop, you or I can not say whether they are benefiting from it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Danniboo wrote: »
    Eh no, they never gave any time limit !!!!!!!

I'm not following, in your opening post you wrote:
    I got a text there last week/the week before saying if I do not collect my unsold items by such a date they would be given to charity.

You're saying they did give you a date/cut off point for collection above.

Mactard wrote: »
    I'm not following, in your opening post you wrote:

You're saying they did give you a date/cut off point for collection above.

When I gave them the dress, there was never any mention of cut off point, collection etc. This text was the first i'd heard of it and they gave me about 4 days to collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Maybe they didn't have such a policy in place at the time you left in the dress?

Either way, when you received the text, you could have rang them, and asked them to hold onto it a little longer, until you got a chance to call in and collect it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

So why didn't you collect it, or get someone to collect on your behalf.
    Failing that, did you ring the shop and ask them to "extend the date" by a few days?

Lol I guess "dudara" got in before me.

Not to worry the dress is there she said she's trying to clear debs/bridesmaids dresses now as older women clothes are selling better so that's what they're selling and people have dresses there two years they haven't collected (mine is only there a few months). Oh and she's pregnant so wants to get rid of them before she's due.

So why didn't you collect it, or get someone to collect on your behalf.
    Failing that, did you ring the shop and ask them to "extend the date" by a few days?

Lol I guess "dudara" got in before me.[/QUOT

I've been doing 7 day weeks and have no one else that can collect it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭07734

just because they put it in a text it doesn't mean that they can do it. if they write that unless you collected by a particular date they would eat your first born child, that doesn't mean that they can! :)

and if there was no mention of it when you left it in, then they can't just move the goalposts at a later date.

it's still your property, so i would expect them to make it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

07734 wrote: »

The dress isn't gone anywhere.

• Advertisement

07734 wrote: »
    just because they put it in a text it doesn't mean that they can do it. if they write that unless you collected by a particular date they would eat your first born child, that doesn't mean that they can! :)

and if there was no mention of it when you left it in, then they can't just move the goalposts at a later date.

I know this is what annoyed me, her attitude on the phone was as if she was doing me a favour by still having the dress there. It's a business she's running, surely you can't just dispose of peoples property because it suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,289 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I know this is what annoyed me, her attitude on the phone was as if she was doing me a favour by still having the dress there. It's a business she's running, surely you can't just dispose of peoples property because it suits you.

She is kinda doing you a favour by storing the dress there, and maybe taking up space for a dress they can sell.

Is the dress still there? If so, go get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

If the policy wasn't mentioned when the dress was left in, then 4 days is a bit ridiculous. Someone could easily be away on holidays, or otherwise indisposed.
    Aside from which they're unilaterally changing whatever deal was entered into regarding the sale of the dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The shop-owner's obviously trying to give the appearance that she's selling a lot more than she actually is, by getting shot of the stock one way or the other. It looks good with a "fast turnover".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,289 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The shop-owner's obviously trying to give the appearance that she's selling a lot more than she actually is, by getting shot of the stock one way or the other. It looks good with a "fast turnover".
    Or she doesn't ant stock that can't sell out on her racks.

DOn't think we can read too much into it, and either POV doesn't really help the OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 hugebogtotter

Would it have been such a disaster if the dress went to a charity shop? God forbid someone in a less fortunate financial position who is not working at all let alone "7 days a week" might get a bargain in a charity shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Would it have been such a disaster if the dress went to a charity shop? God forbid someone in a less fortunate financial position who is not working at all let alone "7 days a week" might get a bargain in a charity shop.

Put it this way

If you gave your car to a garage to sell on your behalf and they said after a certain time period they would give it away

And then they donated it to a charity, on your behalf.

Would you be happy?

And still, I would assume if the OP is selling items and working all the time she needs the money.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Eh no, they never gave any time limit !!!!!!! Given away items that don't belong to you is neither moral nor ethic. If they're selling the items from their charity shop, you or I can not say whether they are benefiting from it.

Perhaps but for alot of places its common if goods are not collected,
    An example is a bike shop, if you leave a bike in to be repaired and don't collect it within a specified time period they will get rid of the bike.

In this case they did notify you, its not their fault you didn't collect the item

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 hugebogtotter

Put it this way

And still, I would assume if the OP is selling items and working all the time she needs the money.

or the complete opposite ;)

The OP hadn't time to collect the dress but had the time to start a thread on the topic without contacting the store to clarify the whereabouts of the dress. Really:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Dodge wrote: »
    Or she doesn't ant stock that can't sell out on her racks.

That's why she gets shot of it, one way or the other. i.e. if she can't sell it, she dumps it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

What would prevent the shop selling the dress to a charity for 1 cent? Is there a reserve price?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Cabaal wrote: »
    Perhaps but for alot of places its common if goods are not collected,
    An example is a bike shop, if you leave a bike in to be repaired and don't collect it within a specified time period they will get rid of the bike.

In this case they did notify you, its not their fault you didn't collect the item

I think the problem is that the OP only got four days notice which I believe is too short,

as was said earlier, you cant change the terms of the contract and give four days notice, even a week would be better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Shelflife wrote: »
    I think the problem is that the OP only got four days notice which I believe is too short,

as was said earlier, you cant change the terms of the contract and give four days notice, even a week would be better.

Whos to say they didn't say it first day? Its very easy to let outs facts to make it look like you've been the one thats been wronged

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

lala88 wrote: »
    Whos to say they didn't say it first day? Its very easy to let outs facts to make it look like you've been the one thats been wronged

Very true, but based on the facts outlined the op has stated that they didnt get a "warning" when they left it in.

we cant make up facts either

If you actual read my OP you would see that I said between work and college i'm doing 7 days. I don't get paid for being in college all weekend? Not entirely sure what your comment means as I don't think I gave any information about my financial position.

Advertisement