Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone make their own fresh pasta?

Options
  • 02-03-2012 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Considering buying a pasta making kit and wondering does anyone make pasta this way? It's not for financial reasons, but for taste..I get fresh pasta occasionally and it's fab. How long would it take to make enough spagetti for 3 adults (myself, Mrs Loire, and a portion shared for 2 young kids)?

If anyone could recommend a decent kit also that would be super!

Thanks,
    Loire.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Making the dough is quite easy – you really need good free range eggs. Or else it can look very wishy-washy, grey and unappetising. Once it’s made, it’s a lovely dough to work with. I do think it’s worth buying a decent pasta roller, I got a crappy one in Argos, and well – it’s crappy. You can hand roll if you don’t want to buy a roller.

One thing I’d say though, prob best to stick to the raviolis/lasagne sheets etc. Making small/thin pasta is fiddly as you should dry it out somewhat. Use LOTS of flour for rolling and dusting. It’s a pain when it sticks together. AFAIK you need a die to ‘push’ the dough through to get spaghetti. Which isn’t really doable at home. I think the best you’d be looking to do is tagliatelle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I think the small fiddly pastas are the only ones to make fresh. The dried versions of pastas such as orecchiete, trofie and cavatelli don't cook well - the outside of the pasta becomes slimy and unpleasant before the centre is cooked. You don't need a pasta kit for these shapes - just follow a recipe such as this from Francesco Mazzei.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I make my own pasta; on my second machine the first one was a cheaply and this one is a real Italian mammy one
    The taste is very different (better)
    But as another poster said you don't need the machine to start
    You can roll out pasta sheets and you can cut very thin tagliatelle without a machine with a big of practice

I won't show you pics cos minister Sherlock would hate that but here is a link to pics http://international.stockfood.com/image-picture-Cutting-tagliatelle-by-hand-11010595.html

Or just google cutting pasta by hand

Advertisement