Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home made rocket?

Options
  • 02-03-2012 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all,

A friend of mine found this while out walking recently. I figure it's a home made rocket but was wondering if anybody here had anymore information.

Is it the thruster off a bigger rocket, or this all of it?
    What would have fuled this?
    How far could it have traveled?

Or any other information would be nice.

Thanks.

img9365v.th.jpg

img9367a.th.jpg

img9369j.th.jpg

img9366f.th.jpg

img9370us.th.jpg

img9368l.th.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Hi Spoty,

Its a military flare. Used for night shoots and night opps. Problem is, the one you show in the pic, looks like it hasent "gone off" so you may have a very dangerous incendiary in your house. Useually the aluminium case is empty when it falls to the ground. Put it in a bucket of water and call in the professionals just to be on the safe side!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

It is indeed a Para Illum. Up walking around the Glen of Imaal by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Yep,

It looks like a missfire alright. There are no phosphorous burns on it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SpottyWetWang

Hi guys thanks for the info, and the warning but I'm pretty sure it's not dangerous. In image 6 you can see a little hole at the bottom, the picture is bad but there is no seal on it and I could see right inside, although benwavner is right there are no burn marks which is strange... The parachute hadn't been deployed when it was found either.

It was found in Killybegs, Donegal maby it was off a fishing boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Hi guys thanks for the info, and the warning but I'm pretty sure it's not dangerous. In image 6 you can see a little hole at the bottom, the picture is bad but there is no seal on it and I could see right inside, although benwavner is right there are no burn marks which is strange... The parachute hadn't been deployed when it was found either.

It was found in Killybegs, Donegal maby it was off a fishing boat.

No. It isn't a signal flare. They aren't as big as that, what you have is a half functioned version of this. It has launched, but not lit. There is 40 seconds worth of magnesium within, that should be attached to the parachute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

I'm pretty sure it's not dangerous.

really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

DON'T let it near water or heat!! you should have left it in place was there no signs saying don't touch any materials military training in progress? or the likes?

Killybegs, or Finner?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Killybegs, or Finner?

Probably Killybegs, there have been a lot of training exercises involving the Army, Navy and Air Corp up these parts last year

OP, I would get on to the Gardai and they will deal with in from there. Don't assume the flare is safe, that's how people lose vital parts of their anatomy!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SpottyWetWang

Thanks everyone,

Just got through to him this morning, hes going to contact the Gardai now.
    It's crazy how these can be fired about the place without some kind of warning on them. It was found very close to Killybegs town.

Anyway, I'll keep you updated on what happens.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone,

Just got through to him this morning, hes going to contact the Gardai now.
    It's crazy how these can be fired about the place without some kind of warning on them. It was found very close to Killybegs town.

Anyway, I'll keep you updated on what happens.

They can't, they are only fired on military range lands, where there are very clear signs stating that you should not pick up or tamper with any items you may find. Combined with this are numerous notices in the paper to the same effect.

Advertisement